High on Fire
De Vermis Mysteriis

by Adam Thomas STAFF
March 27th, 2012 | 347 replies

Review Summary: Hell on Earth

From the start of its opening drum fill, De Vermis Mysteriis sounds like a High on Fire reborn. Their previous album, Snakes for the Divine was unavoidably tepid, seemingly drained of all energy by the slick fingers of producer Greg Fidelman. There has always been an air about High on Fire that makes one feel as though they're gazing through the haze of a crystal ball filled with weed smoke into whatever strange tales vocalist/guitarist Matt Pike has though up of this time, but Snakes was too clear in its approach, stripping the stoner power-trio of the sludge and mire that is essential to such a hulking approach. In the end it begged the question was it just a misstep or had Pike finally started to lose his edge. Within seconds De Vermis Mysteriis instantly erases any and all questions caused by Snakes of the Divine. This time paired with Converge's Kurt Ballou at the helm, High on Fire have released their most visceral album to date. Building off of the gnarled atmosphere of high octane fuzz and a rush-of-blood-to-the-head intensity not seen since Blessed Black Wings barnstormers like “Commeth Down Hessian”, only now even more immediate, De Vermis Mysteriis is the shining culmination of High on Fire's career to this point. Ballou's thick and gritty production perfectly compliments the crushing slabs of megalithic riffs that Pike builds ever higher and ever heavier throughout the album's 52 minute run time, with tracks like the roaring “Bloody Knuckles” and the inescapable Motorhead gone tribal groove of “Spiritual Rites” proving once and for all that when firing on all cylinders High on Fire are an untouchable force in stoner metal.

Delving deeper into the madness that is De Vermis Mysteriis, “King of Days” sounds as if it was born out of the recent reuniting of Pike's former flame, stoner-sludge titans Sleep. Its methodical drone and lonely lead work is more akin to something found Warning's trad-doom masterpiece Watching From a Distance but this respite is pulled of without a hitch which, along with the Kylesa swamp-prog-esque interlude “Samsara, adds a wonderful sense of flow and balance to the record. The Sleep influenced sound can also be seen heavily in De Vermis Mysteriis' latter cuts, especially in the penultimate title track and the closing “Warhorn”. “Warhorn” is High on Fire at their most down tempo and guttural. Its thundering coalescing of distraught sludgy chords and powerful plodding drums ends the album by taking a trip through quicksand while wearing lead boots. It's disgusting. It's massive. It's fucking incredible.

De Vermis Mysteriis is the album that High On Fire have always been hinting that they could create. It is a ferocious and captivating listen that twists and turns through the deepest darkest depths all the while pushing forward into new sonic territory. Blessed Black Wings and Death Is This Communion were great, but this... this is something special.

YOB Clearing The Path To AscendUnited Nations The Next Four Years
Matter TeraphimThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There
Owls TwoTaking Back Sunday Happiness Is
kvltwalter (4)
Matt Pike and company return with their signature brand of barbarian sludge metal, but this time, th...

rmill3r (4)
The concept of De Vermis Mysteriis is more of an off-hand comment than anything else, but that makes...

March 27th 2012

what do we have here sir

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

based on the review and the 4 recommended albums, I am going to love this

I was pretty disappointed in the last album as well, though Death is this Communion was pretty good

evilford
March 27th 2012

Death is This Communion is one of my favorite albums at the moment. has been for a while. SFTD was ok, but not nearly as good. god I can't wait to hear this

Digging: Thormenthor - Abstract Divinity

greg84
March 27th 2012

The album is wicked. Especially Warhorn is mindblowing.

Good review.

Digging: Lo-Pan - Colossus

Ire

There has always been a air about High on Fire

an?

yeah good review can't wait to hear this

jayfatha

Nailed it. This rules

SteelErectedb4you8er
March 27th 2012

I agree with this review wholeheartedly. From when I started to when I ended the record, I felt a sense of awesomeness coming from my speakers. I am fan of all the High on Fire records, but this one just oozes the true force that is High on Fire to it's full potential. I will say after hearing "Snakes for the Divine," it was definitely slick production that kept from captivating people.

D41V30N
March 27th 2012

I HAD NO IDEA THIS WAS COMING OUT!
I should end my life.

Great review. Gonna get this tomorrow. This year has been so bland in the metal sector so far. Hopefully, this will give me some hope.

March 27th 2012

it hasn't necessarily been a spectacular year for metal thus far, but there have been a few good releases. Pallbearer and Fire in the Cave come to mind, as does Lord Mantis.

a few decent dm records too (Horrendous, Ignivomous, others I'm forgetting).

AliW1993
March 27th 2012

Fuck yeah this rules, possibly their best.

Great review.

Rev

Can't wait to hear this

south_of_heaven 11
March 27th 2012

listened to this today in full

really fucking good, I am happy.

I think Snakes for the Divine has better individual songs, but this one as a whole feels more complete.

greg84
March 27th 2012

Christian Mistress and Greenleaf are my favorite metal albums of 2012 so far, along with this, Meshuggah and Lord Mantis.

evilford

nice rating so far...4.4

god dammit I need to hear this

Goatlord
March 27th 2012

It's fucking awesome. I must of streamed the whole thing at least ten damn times at work today.

klap
March 27th 2012

so how does this compare to other shoegaze bands

Digging: Tennis - Ritual In Repeat

you mean like deftones

Rev
March 27th 2012

is there a download for this, or just the stream so far?

Yazz_Flute
March 27th 2012

Never really listened to these guys. Might as well start here.

Digging: Battles - Mirrored

Athom
March 27th 2012

^i'd seriously recommend it.

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville