Brought By Pain
The Dreamer's Will

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
March 24th, 2012 | 22 replies | 1,844 views

Review Summary: An excellent death metal album if a little derivative.

There are those bands that might toss in the occasional melodic section or something to calm the nerves of the listener, and then there is Brought By Pain. Brought By Pain is the kind of death metal band that rely on their technical abilities to razzle dazzle and numb their audience. Their version of death metal is an endless state of full-speed-ahead everything. This train never stops and its sound is merciless with insane double bass work and blastbeats that propel the train. You’d think that the drummer would get tired at some point, but no, every song is as insanely steam powered as the next (except for ‘The Immaturity Of Verity’, which is the only somewhat boring song in the album). Add on to that an equally proficient guitarist that prefers unpredictable but well thought out riffs, and you get the picture.

While Brought By Pain’s technical abilities are undeniably impressive, there’s more to this album than just mind-blowing technicality. It’s one thing to know how to play your instrument, and another thing to use those instruments to make songs that have logical progressions. The songs in The Dreamer’s Will have incredible flow, so that despite constantly confusing riffs and time signature changes, songs never feel disjointed. Unfortunately, this means that songs are difficult to tell apart, because with the constant flow, the album ends up as a constant barrage of noise with no unique characteristics aside from the occasional short guitar solo or pig squeal. With their abilities, they could surely create something original, but as it is, The Dreamer’s Will doesn’t exactly stand out. This, perhaps, is a petty gripe considering the album’s otherwise integrity, but it is enough to wish for some slight improvements in their next album. Nonetheless, The Dreamer’s Will is an excellent death metal album if a little derivative.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex
J.H. (4.5)
Montréal is back on the map as ‘the’ hotspot for incredible death metal! Brought by Pain is but...

March 24th 2012

Another death metal review 4 fun.

First song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RR0fvA-1yo

thanks man!

No probs!

March 24th 2012

"The Dreamer’s Will is an excellent death metal album if derivative."

Did you mean, "even if derivative."? the sentence doesn't read right to me

March 24th 2012

It can be typed either way, I guess I just prefer that.

March 24th 2012

true but still, excellent review I pos'd

March 24th 2012

Thanks I didn't want to let you down haha.

March 24th 2012

I appreciate that you wrote the review man but in the future don't be afraid to let me down if you don't feel like writing a review for an album, I can take it champ.

March 24th 2012

hahaha okay :], I wanted to review this one though!

March 24th 2012

I am glad you did! I hate when an album just has one review on here because if a person wants to compare formal opinions they have to search other reviews up on google, and its hard to trust the source sometimes. Thankfully your opinion is pretty reliable, you usually cover everything that needs to be said, even if you are brief.

March 24th 2012

Yeah it can be a hassle to look for reviews, especially for overlooked albums. As for my reviews, it's really nice to hear that you like them! I always strive to present my opinions objectively.

Hawks
March 24th 2012

Sweet review Pizza. Doesn't sound like I'd enjoy this too much though.

Digging: Manners - Pale Blue Light

March 24th 2012

Depends Hawks, if you liked Beyond Creation's 'The Aura' then this album is for you. It's the drummer and one of the guitarist's side project.

Hawks
March 24th 2012

I honestly never listened to The Aura.

March 24th 2012

Well it's nothing like Symptom but I still think you may like it based off of some of the albums I have seen on your lists. It made my top 10 albums of 2011, out of 500.

Good place to start on the album:

...and this track is what hooks everyone in permanently:

March 24th 2012

i was gonna review this, didn't like it as much as you

there's flash but it doesn't hold, heard this over 10 times

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

March 24th 2012

lol Captain I am still waiting for that Undercroft review, I asked Pizza to review this album the day after I asked you to review Twisted Souls.

bloozclooz
March 24th 2012

love this album. didn't expect it to get a review

Deviant.
March 25th 2012

The summary needs to be abbreviated, and read "if a little derivative"

Digging: Calyx and Teebee - FabricLive.76

March 25th 2012

Heh thanks System.

Summary hath been amended.