Anti-Flag
The General Strike

by Adam Thomas STAFF
March 21st, 2012 | 29 replies | 10,540 views

Review Summary: A solid set of tunes for the pinko bastard in all of us.

Anti-Flag have come a long way from their beginnings as a bunch of kids who spent too much of their time listening to Operation Ivy and Crass records. Their once overtly blunt and juvenile “fuck it all” politics have now been honed and crafted into viable critiques of the American system that are far removed from their “You gotta die for your country, that's shit!” days, although the same sentiments can still be found. They hit their stride with New Kind of Army's rallying cry and carried it through the Bush administration before losing their way with the help of RCA records. For the last 10 years they've comfortably been more Green Day than Leftover Crack, but they've managed to retain a sharp sneer beneath their anthemic political punk that sets them apart from the American Idiots and the like that gives their anger genuine grit rather than the set dusty coffers of board room marketing. The General Strike is what seems to be the end of this decade long journey of rediscovery. The guys in Anti-Flag finally feel at home in their own skin again. With 12 songs at a mere 27 minutes, The General Strike is straight and to the point punk that still carries traces of their big production major label experiment with its polished tones and big choruses. Even so, there's enough grit included, mostly from Chris #2's bark, to raise a few eyebrows, even on those who gave up on Anti-Flag when they started busting out the acoustic guitars and the big picture albums.

That being said, it is an Anti-Flag album so basically you know what you're getting into. Every song is intended as a rallying cry for individualism and the sane side of US politics but it can all get lost every now and again under the constant us vs them railing. Not that there are weak points in the message, it's just that the one thing that Anti-Flag lost right around the time Bush Jr. took power was their handful of inane numbers like “Summer Squatter Go Home” and “Spazz's House Destruction Party” that reminded us that the world isn't always life or death. There's only so much you can hear the same message before it starts to lose its meaning. Luckily, with the album being so short it wraps up right around the point where your brain starts yelling back “God dammit! I get it already”. All in all, The General Strike is all we can really ask for from Anti-Flag these days: a solid set of tunes for the pinko bastard in all of us.

United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Taking Back Sunday Happiness IsGridLink Longhena
3.2
good
Statrick Pickles (2.5)
What I failed to learn from Anti-Flag:...

TheGardener
March 20th 2012

Nice Review. Used to be a big fan of their old stuff and they've got a pretty fun live show. Will check this out.

March 20th 2012

Sweet didn't know these guys released anything. I always sort of begrudgingly enjoy their music, so I'll pick this up when I get the chance.

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

Athom
March 20th 2012

I find it ironic that the other review for this album is written by an employee of an investment firm when the album is inspired by the Occupy Movement.

March 20th 2012

while more respectable than their fellow warped tourians,
i'm still not impressed by the "eff 'murica" sentiment...

Athom
March 20th 2012

It's anti-nationalist but far from "eff 'murica" as you so put it.

iFghtffyrdmns
March 20th 2012

hah yeah man it's definitely ironic, i guess I just have different priorities and opinions these days.

your review is concise and perfect, obviously you just understand that I don't agree. then again, maybe it's just personal.

fantastically done on the counterpoint, you pinko bastard. cheers.

Hmmm.

That's just what I got from their past work, not specifically this album.

but I guess I shouldn't judge considering after I first tried to listen to "Indie sucks, emo sucks, hardline sucks, you suck!" I pretty much disregarded this band...

iFghtffyrdmns
March 20th 2012

you are not a human being

March 20th 2012

yeah, I know right! What's wrong with me? That song is so punk.

puppetboy69
March 21st 2012

Heard the album a couple of weak's back. I'm definitely with you about the strong set of tracks. the only bad critique i have about this album are the lyrics for "The Neoliberal Anthem", "The Ranks of the Masses Rising" and the bridge they offer up for the song "Resist". They just feel like blind/empty anger in an us vs. them mentality, with no real point to drive them home. Still, that being said, The musicianship in the three songs I mentioned is extremely solid.

I also want to highlight that Im a huge fan of what Chris #2 brings to the band and his barking singing style just keep's getting better and better with each album.

Spec

Album's kinda meh

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

Activista anti-MTV
March 21st 2012

Loved the review... band is fine by me. nostalgic

Regulator
March 21st 2012

hmmm, this peaks my interest. their last few efforts haven't been exactly what I liked Anti-Flag for

Kris.

better dead than red

xfearbefore
March 21st 2012

This is actually pretty good, although not remarkable or anything and it's the same album they've made for years but there's some good spark in a couple of songs, mainly the "The Ghosts of Alexandria".

I don't like how they switched to short songs and 20 minute albums

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

Satellite
March 22nd 2012

20728 Comments

good review

not sure if i could enjoy a new anti-flag album, but maybe i'll try

Digging: Spoon - They Want My Soul