Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats
Blood Lust

by Voivod STAFF
March 20th, 2012 | 48 replies | 9,372 views

Review Summary: As vintage as it can possibly get.

In covering for the contemporary underground scene with reference to ‘70s vintage/doom/stoner rock for the Hellenic Metal Hammer January 2012 issue, long time HMH contributor Vasilis Zaharopoulos wrote in his column (for the record, the column is titled “Sub Terra” and it has separate sections for extreme and “classic” heavy metal as well) that with the advent of the internet, the dissemination of information have now become much more rapid and mysterious than in before, forcing obscure bands to reach their audience, albeit with little means available. Indeed, it is really interesting to track down isolated cases of bands gradually migrating from utter obscurity to an ever growing acclaim. In the case at hand, obscure vintage rockers Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats and their awesome debut album Vol. 1, were warmly heralded firstly within the internet and the physical world underground and then the rock/metal mainstream. The highly esteemed Classic Rock Magazine took notice of the band’s potential and included the song “Witches Garden” in one of its monthly CD compilations. As if this wasn’t enough, the band’s debut impressed Leif Edling (of Candlemass fame) who recommended the band to Lee Dorian and Rise Above Records. The label offered the band a limited record deal for a second album, titled Blood Lust, an album that appears to have all that it takes to become one of the contemporary classics of the occult/doom rock revival.

Uncle Acid’s and Co.’s debut was an eight-way span towards ‘60s-to-‘70s glam rock, blues influenced psychedelic jams and occult doom rock. In Blood Lust, the band is reducing the first two musical trends to a minimum, to focus on occult doom rock, whose basic guidelines were so aptly devised in the first two Black Sabbath records. The handful of songs in Blood Lust are dressed with a sound production that can easily serve as a standard for vintage rock. Arrangements and structures from song to song are differentiated enough, so as to maintain the listener’s interest and the high record replay value intact. The record’s well preserved diversity is firstly evident in the rhythm section of Red (drums) and Kat (bass). While its time signatures can fluctuate superbly (“I Will Cut You Down”, “I’m Here To Kill You”), the rhythm section excellently adjusts its speed within the occult doom rock perspective, so as to sound either wonderfully upbeat (“Over and Over Again”, “13 Candles”) or eerily doom-tempo (“Death’s Door”, “Withered Hand Of Evil”). Having such a firm rhythm section to back him up, Uncle Acid is jamming those eternal heavy rock riffs with sheer conviction, making them sound as if they were invented in 2011 and in this release. In addition, he sets up some really inspired, blues or rock n’ roll driven, double lead guitar or keyboard soloing wherever they are needed. Through his soothing vocals he invokes a satanic revolution, as the lyrics feel like they have been ripped off ‘70s occult b movies, where the build up of a dreadful atmosphere was more important than the quality of the actual plot.

In closing, the second album from Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats is as vintage as it can possibly get. Uncle Acid and Co. prove that they are not a one record wonder, as they wisely use the occult rock legacy that peaked in the first half of the ’70s, to their benefit. Except for managing to forge a unique identity of its own, while being different from its predecessor, Blood Lust has all it takes to get the band to the next level. Which is to get an even better record deal than that with Rise Above, as the 350 copies of Blood Lust are too little in quantity to ease the ever increasing thirst for this band.

Vicious Rumors Live You to Death 2 - American PunishmentMayhem Esoteric Warfare
The Graviators MotherloadMekong Delta In a Mirror Darkly
Aura Noir Black Thrash AttackShattered Hope Waters Of Lethe

March 20th 2012

Constructive criticism is most welcome.

Digging: Electric Citizen - Sateen

Xenophanes
March 20th 2012

omg this record is awesommmmme

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

Great album
Death's Door is one of my top 10 songs on 2011

Digging: Emptiness - Nothing but the Whole

Agreed.

"Death's Door" is arranged and played with grit.

Ovrot

I would say top 3 songs for me 2011
It's just so good and badass.

greg84
March 20th 2012

I'll Cut You Down is my favorite from here. The album's not bad, just gets sort of repetitive towards the end. Good review as usual.

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings

TheNotrap
March 20th 2012

Very nice review, have a pos.

Will check this out one of these days.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

FelixCulpa
March 20th 2012

I'm digging Ill cut you down. Cool review Voivod. And would you recommend I get this first or should I start with Vol.1?

Inveigh

yeah this rules

March 20th 2012

4 new reviews today Voivod's number 1. What do we have here?

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

March 20th 2012

And would you recommend I get this first or should I start with Vol.1?

Start with their first album, which i like slightly better.

JamieTwort

19897 Comments

Great review as always Voivod.

I need to check this one out, Vol. 1 rules.

insomniac15
March 20th 2012

This is cool! Good review, pos

Digging: Karma To Burn - Arch Stanton

SteelErectedb4you8er
March 20th 2012

Awesome review, Voivod. You said you were going to do this, and you did! I love this record as well, "13 Candles" is my jam.

DoubtGin

:_)

Deviant.
March 20th 2012

that with the outburst of the internet,

Not the word you want there

the kinetics of information dissemination have now become much more rapid and mysterious than in before,

None of this really makes any sense, there's far too many (wrong) words here for what should be a relatively simple point to make

These ever evolving kinetics that seem to have a will of their own,

wut

within the internet and the physical world underground and then beyond both premises.

Outer space?

Avoid using present tense; you're essentially "reporting back" on an album, so you should be saying how the band have reduced those musical trends in favour of a more occult doom rock...... blahblahblah

double lead guitar or keyboard soloing through thick or thin.

What does this even mean? I feel like you were going for a "out of thin air" remark, but....

that peaked in the first half of the ’70,