Immemorial
After Deny

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
March 19th, 2012 | 16 replies | 1,318 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An interesting and fresh death metal release, focusing on music that is unique, yet effective.

It can always be refereshing to find music that is seldom heard, yet just as good as some of the best death metal that can found in the genre; so is the case with Polish death metal band Immemorial's second LP release "After Deny". Since their formation in 1997, these death metal experts have done nothing other than put out quality material[although it has been 9 years since this albums release]. "After Deny" contains some of the most unique and complex riffing patterns known the genre, also being the main notable characteristic of this album. It must be noted, however, that the complexity of riffs with this LP should NEVER be taken as an attempt into the realms of "technical death metal". Rather, the style of osdm would be the closest tag; but the riffing approach within that realm is the only technicality.

The guitar riffs and drum patterns are always in the forefront. Ex-drummer from "Mistrust" is always matching the complexity of every one of Mlody's guitar riffs. "Angel of Sorrow" contains inter-riff patterns that change tempo and revert on the split of a dime. The constant use of "hooks" within passages are also album stand outs, which is the case in tracks like "Day of Anger" where blast beat contain multiple fill hooks while the guitars throw in well fitted, last second sweeps. The track songs are of appropriate length, being just long enough to progress the song, but not too long, where the complexity of track can't be absorbed.

It must be noted that the vocalist is a female, but in this case I urge all to not be deterred by this fact. Vocalist Karla Czertowicz executes a phenomenal performance, using higher pitched death vocals that have similarities to Angela Gossows of Arch Enemy; but contains a much greater gritty factor, adding to the grimy atmosphere created by Immemorial. She easily adds a sense of enjoyment to jazzy death metal riffs like the ones found in "Wooden Box"; with lyrics that focus on the reappraisal of "man's" denials.

With two solid LP's under their belt, Immemorial should be considered as being one of the best obscure, yet effective death metal bands of our day. For those that are looking for a fresh listen, due to the immense stagnancy of the genre, "After Deny" should be more than capable of satisfying that desire.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

March 19th 2012

A very solid and well put together album that is very much recommended.

Also I can probably guarantee maybe 98% of sputnik has never heard this.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXaWIpmWtsE

^Corrupted By Death

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_AVjqUd0KI

^Day of Anger[Live]

seedofnothing
March 19th 2012

"death vocals that have a similarity to Angela Gossows, of Arch Enemy; but contains a much greater gritty factor, adding to the grimy atmosphere created by Immemorial"

I don't think you need a coma after "Gossows". But other than that, solid review. And no I've never heard of this band before but I will check them out. Pos.

March 19th 2012

*I think you're right, will fix.

thanks, hope you enjoy

seedofnothing
March 19th 2012

Also congrats on your 40th review. 40 reviews within the span of 3 1/2 months is quite impressive.I usually find pretty good music when I check your reviews. Good job.

Thanks I appreciate it!

TheSpirit
March 19th 2012

"It can always be refereshing to find music that is seldom heard, yet just as good as some of the best death metal that can found in the genre; so is the case with Polish death metal band Immemorial's second LP release"

I would add the name of the album at the end of this.

"It must be noted that the vocalist is a female, but in this case I urge all to not be deterred by this fact."

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

March 19th 2012

"I would add the name of the album at the end of this."

I agree with that, will fix.

"People who would be put off by something like that are dumb, male/female/giraffe, as along as you can scream well gender shouldn't matter"

lol yeah it's rediculous how many times I've heard enthusiasts say they would check this out because it's probably lame due to a female singer. oh my what good music they could be potentially missing. Also, I bet a giraffe would shred hard on vox, I'm sure that long throat could put out some piping gutterals.

SgtPepper
March 19th 2012

Great review, Captain, as usual of course. it's a good album have a pos.

thanks my brother!

I'm glad you liked it, this was an amazing find for me. I'll be jamming this album for a very long time. I can promise you that.

Eclecticist
March 19th 2012

*sigh* Fine. I will check out this album.

March 19th 2012

haha thanks bro, it'll definitely be worth your time. This is a true 4 rating. I actually went back through all my reviews and adjusted any album ratings that I thought should have been different. There were only about 2-3 that I actually changed. I know getting an accurate rating builds trust amongst readers so I'm making sure the ratings are as accurate as possible to what you would actually hear.

This album is killer. do enjoy, if you need finding the link for it let me know. But if you listen to the above links I posted, they will give you an idea of what to expect from the actual album. As good as this is, you'd think it be more accessible but I guess that's the thrill of the find.

Eclecticist
March 20th 2012

So wait, I can't find this on a torrent or filesharing site?

March 20th 2012

March 28th 2012

m/

April 23rd 2012

even tho the album art for this is whatever the music is so amazing