5 of 6 thought this review was well written
I grade on a 1-5 scale for each song.
System of a Down released probably their biggest and best album of their Career Toxicity on September 4th 2001. It had 3 huge hits with the lead single Chop Suey! toping out at number 7 on the Billboard top 200 list, Toxicity and Aerials bolth took the number one spot to follow Chop Suey! The Album itself peaked at the number 1 chart and Chop Suey was nominated for a Grammy. The album which broke System into the Mainstream Rock Genre sold 6.5 million copies. The whole band is trong with not a weak spot in the rotation. Daron Malakian throws in some insanley heavy guitar riffs like in Deer Dance or Bounce. But then as in Psycho he shows his diversity as he jams out to the end of the song. Shavo Odadjian as always show his awesome talent in songs like Shimmy, Toxicity and the awesome Bass lead song Aerials. John Dolmayan is on my top 5 drummers list as he plays great pretty much all the songs. He shows signs of Jazz in Shimmy, and is incredible in Toxicity, he has the talent of grabing your attention when its his turn to come in. And the Vocals of Serj Tankian are unique voice that ranges from a harsh inhale roar to a soft mellower tone that flows with the music. I really enjoyed his emotion on Toxicity and handbanging rant of Needles. Now here is the Album in full.
1. Prison Song- It starts off powerfully with Serj wispering "There trying to build a prison" and then kicks in with a heavy riff. A nice way to start off the album giving a perspective of what is to come. I think this song expresses the corruption and the way the goverment trys to keep it hidden by building a "prison" to keep the public in it to stop them from seeing the truth. 3/5
2. Needles- Great Headbanging song you can really get into. The song never loses that bam bam bam feeling it even keeps it in the verses were System usually slows down a bit. The song keeps its constant heart pounding pace untill the interlude which is Malakian singing "I'm just sitting in my room with a needle in my hand wait for the tomb of some old dying man" then picking it back up again to grab you attention making this a great song to get the adrenaline rushing. 4/5
3. Deer Dance- They kept the pace up from Needles starting out very heavy. Going into a sweet guitar riff by Malakian. The lyrics of this song stand out well and is one of my favorites from the album. It seems to combine about how the police rough up the protesters in protests and how bad war is for the children while all the polititions do ir un a Deer Dance. Another great song. 4/5
4. Jet Pilot- This has to be my least favorite song on the album. It just doesn't grab me. Its the only song were if i hear i'll skip it. It just is really nothing special. 2/5
5. X- The song starts off with the guitar doing a fast little lick and a light drum solo, and Shavo signiling his entrence hitting a few key notes inbetween. Then the song breaks out, but my favorite part is were Serj starts singing "Tell the people, Tell the people that arrive, Tell the people, Tell the people that arrive" The drum sound, the way it sounds like a machine gun fireing. Average song for the album, with repetitive lyrics. 3/5
6. Chop Suey- Ahh the first single. Very good song great acoustic guitar into then when Dolmayan comes in hitting the toms it just works perfectly to the point of explosion with fast hammers by Malakian. Serj's voice works real well in this song especially in the chorus. The whole song sticks out and its easy to get it stuck in your head. a highlight of the album. 5/5
7. Bounce- A good song to bounce to, Serj yelling "pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo!" then him and Malakian in unison "Jump Bounce Down Up". Just a fast fun loving song that doesn't make much sence but it still pretty cool. 3/5
8. Forest- Starts out like most of the song with a guitar lead that gets heavy. Good stand out lyrics with the guitar synchronizing with Serj's vocals. My guess would be its about his son though I don't know if he has one. 4/5
9. Atwa- Slow guitar riff stars off this one, with Serj coming on in a whisper sing. Then taking off into "You don't care about how I feel, I dont feel anymore..." Not one of the heavier songs but still very good. Good guitar, drums and bass through out. Serj's vocals are a stand out in this one, with all the different types of singing he can do. 4.5/5
10. Science- Another good song thats not so much a head banging song. Its about how science is replacing faith and spirit, but spirit and faith are more then just science. Good song 4/5
11. Shimmy- Heres your "Most likley to hear at a college party song" Its a good song to jam and party to. I've actually heard it at a lot of partys. Cool song breaking into the Jazz interlude which is a good change showing Systems diversity. A really cool part, then ending with the yelling of "Don't be lat for school again boy..."
12. Toxicity- The Song named after the album. My Personal favorite. Drums are awesome in this some. Really hard to play, the guitar is catchy and the chorus sticks in you head like glue. Definitally a single song. The vocal work of this song I think is the best on the album. Another album highlight. 5/5
13. Psycho- Starts out with deep bass very cool. Shavo does a godd job with this one. Then the drums/guitar kicks into it then to the yelling of the "Psycho, groupie, cocaine, crazy" Its baisically about those four things. A crazy druggie/groupie who is living the fast life. The song end with the best guitar on the album that is just perfect for listining to in the dark. THe guitar takes it up a notch, awesome ending. 5/5
14- Aerials- This is one of the sweetest bass intos of all time. With the guitar in sync with it, but its really all about the bass. This is the song were Shavo can take center stage, it is a good follow up in keeping it soft in the beginning after the psycho jam. Serj's vocals match the bass singing "Aerials in the sky when you lose small mind, you free you life. Aerials, so up high when you free your eyes, eternal prize" And then when they come back to the chorus with the guitar raging it fits perfectly. A truely great ending to the album. 5/5
Bonus song Arto- Really tribal jam with the bongos and all the other tribal instruments. Really cool to just let it go with your eyes closed.
Well that was Toxicity, I'm giving it a 4.5. I really think it is Systems best album up to date. Really good all around no real weak spots. Well that was my first album reveiw.