Triana
El Patio

by MarvinLapsus USER (4 Reviews)
March 16th, 2012 | 24 replies

Release Date: 1975 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The ultimate blend of flamenco and rock music. A sonic triumph never to be repeated in Spanish pop music history, still sounds groundbreaking almost 40 years on.

Triana, a band hailing from the Sevilla neighborhood that carries the same name, is still observed today as the most innovative and influential rock band in Spanish pop music history. It was assembled in 1974 by Jes├║s de la Rosa (the voice and keyboard , and the main responsible for Triana's atmospheric sound), Eduardo Rodr├*guez Roadway (Spanish guitar) and Tele (drums), sometimes featuring guests on bass or electric guitar.

Their sound is built around flamenco poetry, singing, beats and techniques mixed with complex song structures and atmospheric electronic sounds crafted to carry the listeners to a dream land of hot breeze and delicately dark passion. One of the greatest fusions of folk music and rock you'll ever listen to.

It's a great responsibility to be the first to review their first (and best) album, but anyway, here we go.

First of all, the production in this album is great: De la Rosa andalusian accent will flow like water from your speakers, backed with the virtuoso guitar of Roadway and the soft, personal drumming of Tele, everything within a dense and delicate atmosphere crafted by keyboards.

The record opener, "Abre la Puerta", begins with a moving guitar and piano introduction which builds up to give way to De la Rosa's passionate singing. Lyrics fit the year they were written: the singer invites a girl to discover love and freedom at his side, something that could be done for the first time in 40 years in Spain with the weakening of Franco's dictatorship. This song features one of the greatest instrumental breaks I've ever listened to, witha powerful hard rock electric guitar solo near the end.

The second song, "Luminosa Ma├▒ana", is a psychedelic ballad about a man who loses himself and wanders, hopeless, to find the hidden truth. Angst, suffering and light to fill the greatest track in this album.

"Recuerdos de una Noche" keeps offering us Triana's trademark dark ambiance. The droning keyboards and bass play the hot beat with conviction, while De la Rosa sings about desperate love.

In "S├ę de un lugar" the electric guitar and bass find a more prominent place, helping to create the sonic image of the "locus amoenus" sung by De la Rosa.

"Diálogo" is another soft ballad that narrates the musings of a confused man that discusses his love with the moon. This song lacks the bombast present in the rest of the album: soft keyboards and guitar being the main sonic landscaping agents.

"En el Lago". Legend says it was inspired by a LSD experience. The overall psychedelic character of the album seems to support the hypothesis.

The closing track, "Todo es de Color", is a simple laid-back piece about hot spring days in the rural Andaluc├*a.

When the record stops, the dream ends, leaving you exhausted. That's the feeling you get when the sheer power of an artistic masterpiece like this hits you.

4.2

Voivod
March 16th 2012

Good track-by-track review for a first, pos.

However, try to avoid track-by-track description in your next reviews, and describe the album as a whole.

Digging: Sumerlands - The Guardian (demo)

March 16th 2012

might have to check this

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

Manic_
March 16th 2012

this sounds pretty damn good so far

March 16th 2012

does it bro, cuz i need someone to tell me how it sounds

March 16th 2012

"Their main influence outside flamenco may be King Crimson, but their personal blend of sound also recalled me of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple."

what about Rush bro

what are these guys supposed to be the mars volta 2.0

March 16th 2012

if they sound anything like mars volta i prolly won't like this

do they?

March 16th 2012

don't know dude. it's just everytime i hear of a "spanish band" I always think of the mars volta

bro my newest review is Ictus who's from spain but the album is 4.5

it's hardcore, you must check it out, awesome music!!!!!!!!!

March 16th 2012

sounds good, will do for sure.

MarvinLapsus
March 17th 2012

Thanks for the constructive criticism! For all of you wanting to check this album out, Rhino issued a compilation named "Quiero contarte" which features all of this tracks plus the best from their other albums. And here (http://rock-tv.es/2008/05/triana-una-historia-documental.html) you can watch a documentary about the band that begins with the performance of 3 different tracks from this album.
And aside from being progressive rock bands with latin influence, they have nothing in common with The Mars Volta, at least when it comes to songwriting and sound.

JamieTwort

20753 Comments

Good first review. I might check these guys out.

Digging: Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt

Drpibb
March 17th 2012

The title track reminds me of kill bill

Mchailas
March 21st 2012

great review, glad to see this band finally getting some attention

May 7th 2013

This is amazing.

Digging: Ulver - Blood Inside

May 8th 2013

Seriously, if the Prog community here listened to this, it'd be a site favourite.
Very unique stuff.

MarvinLapsus
May 22nd 2013

Listen to their other prog stuff as well, it's one hell of a band (their last two albums were quite bad, though). It's a shame that they're so unknown even in their homeland.

May 22nd 2013

I'll definitely get around to that. I had to get this on iTunes so I'm sure most of their other albums are up there as well.

July 7th 2013

One of my all time favourites.

balazs