The Safety Fire
Grind The Ocean

by Simon B. AKA Sputs OFFICIAL Pooh Bear USER (16 Reviews)
March 15th, 2012 | 64 replies | 14,500 views

Review Summary: A very solid debut that despite its shortcoming will appeal to a lot of fans of either mathcore or progressive "groove" metal.

The Safety Fire a quintet hailing from the United Kingdom, London to be precise and currently existing out of the following members=
  • Vocals: Sean McWeeney
  • Guitar: Joaquin Ardiles
  • Guitar: Derya Nagle
  • Bass: Lori Peri
  • Drums: Calvin Smith

The Safety Fire is a UK based band and this is something you can clearly hear in their music, one mustn’t look hard to find influences from TesseracT, The Arusha Accord and even SikTh. These names should make it clear what to expect from this debut, a technical heavy and fast mathcore record mixed up with groove metal and even an occasional moment of post-metal. Quite an original mix indeed, but, does that mean it is good too?

Short answer, yes it is. But for those interested in the long answer I suggest too keep on reading.

On the bright side we have the instrumental part of the album. Every member is really proficient with handling their instrument and they don’t hold back to show this. The guitarists bombard you with polyrhythms (reminiscent of TesseracT), arpeggio sweeps or other technical wizardry, the drummer certainly can beat his kit with blinding speed and even the bassist gets his moments to shine. For the most part their music is aggressive or even hyperactive (like we have grown to love thanks to bands like SikTh) but we are also given an occasional interlude too let the music sink in. These interludes are mostly post-metal influenced and will end with a build-up that eventually will continue with their aggressive, even catchy sound.

For the most part the song writing is really tight, but there are a couple of moments that the album starts to drag and moments of “haven’t I heard this already” start to arise. The fact that every band member loves to smack you in the face with their technical prowess -especially the guitarists- can also become quite off-putting. There is a lot going on in this album which also doesn’t make it an “easy listen” either. One thing is for sure, those loving multi-layered technical music will have a lot to enjoy with this record.

So far I haven’t mentioned the vocalist, so let’s get on to that now. Sean McWeeney is one of those vocalist that isn’t afraid to explore his range. Ranging from high croons to icy low cleans, this guy shows it all. And while he isn’t dirty of adding some effect to them he never overuses them or sounds overproduced.

The reason I only started mentioning him now is because this is one of those guys where everyone has a different opinion about. Personally I adored his screams and found his cleans to sound forced and occasionally even out of place. While others share a complete opposite opinion and love his cleans, while thinking the screams sound weak and forced. But no-one seems to think they’re actually bad, either way he delivers a beautiful vocal contrast that will carry you through the album.

Having said all that, this still is a very solid debut album. And despite its shortcoming it’s one that will appeal to almost anyone that either enjoys TesseracT, SikTh or any band that even sounds remotely alike. The Safety Fire delivered a catchy, technical and even fun album with “Grind The Ocean” that starts out strong and will try its best to keep you hooked from start to finish. If this review tickled your interest even a little bit I suggest to check it out, as there is a huge chance this will not disappoint. 3.5/5

Recommended songs:
  • DMB (FDP)
  • Huge Hammers
  • Circassian Beauties

I Am Heresy Thy WillThe Great Old Ones Tekeli-Li
NAMI The Eternal Light of the Unconscious MindSo Hideous Last Poem/First Light
Csejthe ReminiscenceObsidian Kingdom Mantiis
TBliss2 (4)
The Safety Fire really have offered up a veritable feast for their long suffering fans....

March 15th 2012

Doesn't really read as a 4 but don't bee fooled this is enjoyable stuff.

Currently proofreading it a couple of times, but if I miss something please notify me of this.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

March 15th 2012

doubt I'd like this but I'll listen to it see what kinda music is coming out in the modern scene

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

March 15th 2012

Why you doubt you like this?

If you like any band mentioned i'm pretty sure you'll like a couple of things from the record. Vocalist seems to be biggest problem for most.

Funeralopolis
March 15th 2012

Evreaia usually has good finds so I'll check this out

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

DoubtGin

awful album

March 15th 2012

Youtube has all songs if I'm correct. I'd suggest to start with Huge Hammers or DMB (FDP) as those stood out for me.

Also thanks for the kind words.

Mewcopa0

meeeh

jimmykidd
March 15th 2012

Finally a review for this. Album rules hard. It's definitely one you have to really listen to though. Also Sean McWeeney is incredible.

Josh D.
March 15th 2012

This band would be good if they had a half-decent vocalist.

climactic
March 16th 2012

i was considering doing a review for this.....theyre pretty unique. albums kinda overlong though

iambandersnatch
March 16th 2012

hmm, sounds interesting judging from rec'd

sniper
March 16th 2012

i think you mean london, not londen?

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

PistolPete
March 16th 2012

been waiting for this for evaaahhhh, "Huge Hammers" grabbed my attention when I first heard it and since then I wanna hear more!

Digging: Nothing More - Nothing More

HypedMerchant
March 16th 2012

I enjoy his cleans and screams.
I've only heard one song, so once I listen to the rest I'll give this a rate.

HypedMerchant
March 16th 2012

Alright I listened to most of it.
Most of the songs linger on too long and that really annoys me and some of the lyrics are really predictable.

DMB is probably my favorite song on this album.
In the chorus Sean sounds a bit like Kurt Travis... but that's probably just me.

March 17th 2012

"i think you mean london, not londen?"

yes I did, I'll fix it right away.

Vicariously
March 17th 2012

Self titled track is amazing. I feel like this album can only get better the more you listen. I knew they could do way better than their ep, but I still think they can be better... up until the guy blows out his vocals at least.

iambandersnatch
March 17th 2012

Haven't listened to this much but I like the vocalist. I guess he is a bit polarizing.

Josh D.
March 18th 2012

The screaming is pretty weak.

coneren