Majeure
Timespan

by Tim Verhoeff USER (19 Reviews)
March 15th, 2012 | 0 replies | 875 views

Review Summary: A slightly more ambient version of Zombi

Majeure is A.E.Paterra who also plays in Zombi and if you've heard Surface to Air or Spirit Animal, you'll know exactly what to expect from Majeure. That could be a bad thing, but if you're a Zombi fan like me, it isn't.

Timespan is a basically a slightly more ambient version of Zombi. Three synth and drum driven songs that range from 9 to 18 minutes and do what Zombi... uhm.. Majeure does best. "I'm driving through a sci-fi landscape in my futuristic car" music without vocals. Trance like rhythms and repeating melodies that conjure up images of slowly moving through space and time. Moogs, Korgs, Juno's, Zombi... it's all there.

But instead of pressing play when Timespan is over (trust me, you'll want to do it), you get to put in a second disc. The same three songs are handed over to Steve Moore (Zombi/Titan), Justin Broadrick (Jesu/Godflesh) and Black Strobe. They add beats and guitar to their remixes but they never stray far from the path laid out by Majeure. It's a nice addition to the 40 minutes that is Timespan.

Timespan is a great record with only one flaw: It sounds just like Zombi. Why do a solo record if you're gonna sound just like your 'main' band. Leftovers? It has the same quality, sound, look and feel of Zombi, so why not name it Zombi? Even more flabbergasting, Majeure recently put out a split with Steve Moore (the other half of Zombi). My guess is these guys write so much good music they think it's a shame to let it go to waste. They pick the best stuff and label it Zombi and use the rest for solo projects. But the quality of the music on Timespan justified every 'leftover' minute present on this record. So if you like Zombi, this is a no brainer.