Dirty Three
Toward The Low Sun

by Elijah K. STAFF
March 15th, 2012 | 57 replies

Review Summary: Not only do we get another Dirty Three album after a seven year drought, but we are treated to one of the most incredible recordings of their career.

It’s been seven long years since post-rock legends, Dirty Three, have released a full-length studio album. In said time gap, the trio has done some collaborative work with artists such as Grinderman and Nick Cave, as well as performed live with their typical fervent energy. Lovely asides these have been, sure, but after the experimental journey that was 2005’s Cinder, fans have been yearning for a true album worthy to wear the band’s prestigious name. Enter Toward the Low Sun, an album that deftly earns the right to sit alongside Dirty Three’s classic Ocean Songs and Horse Stories.

Toward the Low Sun was not the typical “deliberately planned” studio album. After taking some time off, the band reconvened for a string of shows, only to realize the palpable energy present during their performances could easily be captured. Instead of working towards crafting their eighth full length, they decided to jump in with both feet to see where it took them. This certainly explains the very “stumbled upon” feel found in Toward the Low Sun. Dirty Three, as usual, forgo clearly defined song structures and instead opt for something much more organic. This time, though, the compositions seem even more formless, even more undefined. And frankly, the album is all the better for it.

Warren Ellis, Mike Turner, and Jim White’s scintillating paradigm is as perfect as always, with Ellis in particular stealing the show once more. Ellis’ vibrant and evocative violin work has consistently been a central sound in regards to Dirty Three’s work, and is still immaculate in its blissful and deceptive simplicity. The perfectly composed violin lines do not get by on themselves, however, as Turner and White create a wonderful back drop for the band’s music. White’s precise drumming is impressive on its own merits, but when paired with the soundscapes, he displays a keen sense of his musical surroundings. Together, the band emits a sound more confident and captivating than that of post-rock bands more than twice their size; an impressive feat indeed.

With Dirty Three’s eighth studio album, one would expect a bid of re-treading to occur. And while it’s easy to pick out obvious nods to their older material, the band has done quite a lot to expand their musical horizons, nearly 20 years into their career. Towards the Low Sun is much less experimental than Cinder in a sense that it doesn’t feature the same wild energy and large array of instruments, but at the same time feels much more exploratory. The nine songs contained within the album sound much more free-form than a lot of the bands past material, seeming almost spontaneous even. “That Was Was” and “Moon on the Land” meander about in a dazed fashion, but the end result is absolutely beautiful. However, when the band fires all cylinders with a fully constructed song-as with “The Pier” and “Rising Below”- one is treated to some of the most ingenious instrumental rock in years.

Toward the Low Sun, like all Dirty Three records, is phenomenally refreshing in its beauty, poise, and ingenuity. The band has been a constant force in the genre, continuously displaying what arises from the combined passions and creativity of people who simply love to make music. Dirty Three have crafted another stellar album, proving once again why they deserve their legendary status.

Howls of Ebb The Marrow VeilLocrian Infinite Dissolution
Envy Atheist's CorneaSigh Graveward
Marriages SalomeMarsen Jules The Empire of Silence

pizzamachine
March 14th 2012

I need post-rock in my life. Good review Xeno, I give it one whoop whoop. ;)

Manic_
March 15th 2012

Finally some post-rock I can actually enjoy. Glad these guys are still consistent with quality.

TITSandGORE
March 15th 2012

Nice review. Made me want to check this out although I'm not too acquainted with much instrumental rock.

WeepingBanana

Dirty Three rule

this is no exception

SgtPepper

Well written review.
and of course, classy (if you get the Office reference).
have a pos

Spare
March 15th 2012

wtf i didn't know there was a new dirty three record. these guys just came to my town but i skipped seein em to save money for bomb the music industry. don't regret it. nice of em to come here though, no bands do. anyway i'm gettin this

Butkuiss
March 15th 2012

Ocean Songs is amazing. May have to pick this up.

Aids
March 15th 2012

hmmm sounds like i need this.

Digging: Jamie xx - In Colour

Aids
March 15th 2012

yeah i was actually about to ask you for some recent postrawk recs but then i realized i cant really download right now. but when i can ill need some recs.

March 15th 2012

Great review, I willl definitely check this out. I love post-rock but scarcely listen to it for some reason.

Digging: Volahn/Shataan/Arizmenda/Kallathon - Desert Dances and Serpent Sermons

March 15th 2012

Have you listened to Charts and Maps - Dead Horse btw? I obviously don't know how good this is (yet) but I would bet that it was a contender for best (and most underrated) post rock album of last year.

March 15th 2012

There is a fair bit of jazz influence thrown into it so I wouldn't say it's your typical build-up/crescendo post-rock, something that made it much more memorable for me. Can't wait to hear this though, would be happy if this this turns out better than Dead Horse.

scissorlocked
March 24th 2012

seems great

Have listened to this guy's soundtracks for the assasination of jesse james and for The Road, together with Cave, and they were really good

Digging: Max Graef - Rivers of the Red Planet

bechaz123
March 25th 2012

I really love this album. Can't get enough of the Dirty Three these days. Saw them live a couple of weeks ago, spoke to Warren Ellis before the show and he dedicated 'I Remember a Time When Once You Used To Love Me' directly to me. It'd have to be the greatest moment of my life.

Snowcrow
June 10th 2012

I'm about half way through the album. Loving it so far. This band is really something special.

WeepingBanana

yeah fuck

AtavanHalen

amazing band

Vooligan
September 7th 2012

I'd kill to see them live

chambered49
December 4th 2012

holy shit had no idea this was out

Tyrael