Dokken
Back for the Attack

by dannyboy89 USER (31 Reviews)
March 11th, 2012 | 14 replies | 3,375 views

Release Date: 1987 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Dokken goes out with a BANG!!! A fitting end to their Golden Years.

Dokken: The Golden Years

Part IV of IV: Back for the Attack

If there was one problem Dokken had during their years as one of the most impeccable glam metal acts of the 1980's, it was the fact that they could not top themselves: they could only near-equal themselves. After having been a leading act all this time, one could not help but sense that the band's glory days where not eternal. The issues between guitarist Lynch and frontman Dokken were gradually tearing the band apart.

Nevertheless, the band still had one more quality record to release before they would fade into obscurity (and, later on, would go on recording, without ever truly recovering their past glory): 1987's Back for the Attack. This fourth LP certainly shows Dokken as a band with inner struggles: the music sounds nowhere as fresh, the vocals and the guitars seem to be fighting for attention, etc. This doesn't stop the album from being great, but it does pretty much give the idea that the band has little chance of making a fifth album in line with the previous ones.

At this time, the band's lineup is:

Don Dokken: Vocals
George Lynch: Guitars
Jeff Pilson: Bass
"Wild" Mick Brown: Drums

One of the most interesting tracks on the album is Mr. Scary, an instrumental which serves to show off Lynch's skills on guitar once more. There's also Kiss of Death which features a memorable chorus and nice riffs. You also have [b] Burning Like a Flame[b] which is a bit cheesy, even for Dokken standards, yet is a passable song overall.

But the single leading song on the album is Dream Warriors. It starts off with a nice guitar rythm that leads into a rockin' riff. Don Dokken performs well, and Lynch does yet another fine solo here. The lyrics deserve a quote, being among the band's most interesting ones:

I lie awake
And dread the lonely nights
I'm not alone
I wonder if these heavy eyes
Can face the unknown
When I close my eyes I realize
You'll come my way
I'm standing in the night alone

Nevertheless, the album has its flaws. As mentioned earlier, the tensions in the band seem to strain the music's quality. It doesn't help that the band is getting a bit formulaic at this time. Make no mistake, this album is worth a listen, and makes a fine closure to the band's golden years. But one can't help but foresee the impending disaster. The band was relying a bit too often on the lead vocals/lead guitars formula, thus becoming rather predictable. Overall, this is a very good album which simply isn't on par with the earlier three.

Epilogue:

The band would break up shortly after releasing their live album Beast from the East (1988). They would continue recording in the 1990's and released Lightning Strikes Again in 2008. Nevertheless, nothing can change the fact that the essence of Dokken's music lies in these first four recordings.

Recommended Tracks:

Judas Priest PainkillerSade Love Deluxe
Sade Stronger Than PrideSade Promise
Sade Diamond LifeSeal Commitment

11952 Comments

Well, that's it for Dokken. It was gonna be another 4.5, but I took another listen and had to 4 it. Still a fine album though.

This band needs more love on Sputnik: sure, they were a glam band, but they made awesome songs.

Fluttertrank
March 11th 2012

your reviews are getting better. But the only thing that is annoying is the structure and what not.
Try making a review like this

ThroneOfAgony
March 11th 2012

Okay review....I wish you talked more about the album though

11952 Comments

@Fluttertrank: I'll have to think about it.

@ThroneOfAgony: Well, yes, getting into the album is always the hardest part.

TheNotrap

JamieTwort
March 12th 2012

20356 Comments

Great album.

Pretty good review. You're definitely improving, keep it up.

Titan

January 26th 2014

Dreeeeeeeam Warriorsssssssssss

Froot
July 4th 2014

Towards the end of this, I was so ready to 4 it as a result of ending fatigue, but then I realised, for as long as the album goes on, it's astounding how many of the tracks are truly memorable and how full the album feels as a whole; nothing sounds wasted bar maybe Stop Fighting Love, which is the obligatory Dokken power ballad. Based on that, I'd put this on par with Under Lock and Key and Tooth and Nail to be honest. I don't feel like there was any better way they could have made their last stand, well, stand out.