The Weakerthans
Left and Leaving

by ConsiderPhlebas USER (34 Reviews)
March 10th, 2012 | 40 replies | 2,374 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A sense of wonder only slightly used

The Weaker a hint – a brilliant sparkle here and there – of something quite special. The man of the permanent middle initial, John K. Samson, displayed a keen ear for playful and intelligent lyrics, all of which he delivered in a wry, almost affectionate toneo its knees under the weight of a recession has tainted their sound, leaving something altogether darker in its place. Yes the hooks are still there, but this time they come wrapped around a white-knuckled fist. Punk & Poetry is the bright, rowdy underbelly of UK culture. Contemporary English music just doesn’t get any better.

Beginning with chKanye West cares about himself, about money, about pussy, religion and black people. Unfortunately, after taking firm control of their output once more, they cheerfully fly the pln effect; in fact, not much had changed at all. The Weakerthans had just polished and nurtured the qualities within their music, allowing them to truly shine.

You could saanent middle initial, John K. Samson, displayed a keen ear for playful and intelligent lyrics, all of which he delivered in a wry, almost affectionate toneo its knees under the weight of a recession has tainted their sound, leaving something altogether darker in its place. Yes the hooks are still there, but this time they come wrapped around a white-knuckled fist. Punk & Poetry is the bright, rowdy underbelly of UK culture. Contemporary English music just doesn’t get any better.

Beginning with chKanye West cares about himself, about money, about pussy, religion and black people. Unfortanent middle initial, John K. Samson, displayed a keen ear for playful and intelligent lyrics, all of which he delivered in a wry, almost affectionate toneo its knees under the weight of a recession has tainted their sound, leaving something altogether darker in its place. Yes the hooks are still there, but this time they come wrapped around a white-knuckled fist. Punk & Poetry is the bright, rowdy underbelly of UK culture. Contemporary English music just doesn’t get any better.

Beginning with chKanye West cares about himself, about money, about pussy, religion and black people. Unfortouching on ideas of identity, of self-worth and loneliness. But honestly, some things are just too beautiful to analyse. From the halting detail of 'Everything Must Go!' to the murky sadness of 'Without Mythologies' and the cheerful clatter of 'Watermark', the songs swell and recede in an easy, meaningful way. Though still too casual and unassuming to make waves across the world, Left and Leaving will always be a record that can strike a chord within the very depths of the heart.

Gallops Yours Sincerely, Dr. HardcoreThe Swellers Running Out of Places to Go
One Direction Up All NightFrank Turner England Keep My Bones
Jaya the Cat More Late Night Transmissions With Jaya the CatThe King Blues Punk & Poetry
4.2
Bryan Diem (5)
An album about disappointment that never disappoints....

Adam Knott EMERITUS (5)
Somewhere someone says, "I'm sorry," someone's making plans to stay....

tom79 (5)

March 9th 2012

Short and a bit unspecific, I know. Just shaking off the rust.

MO

nice review phleb

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

StreetlightRock
March 9th 2012

I swear to god I have listened to this album sitting on a pier by the ocean one day. It was awesome.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

March 9th 2012

I can imagine, man. Cheers, MO.

March 9th 2012

As an alt/indie guy, and after relentless recommendations from the people with the closest taste to mine, I reckon it's time I finally give this a listen.

Great review btw.

Digging: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

Xenophanes
March 9th 2012

you liking music is weird haha, but great review none the less

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

Xenophanes
March 9th 2012

I genuinly believe that you'll really like this sowing

March 9th 2012

Cheers, fellas. You're in for a treat, Sowing.

March 9th 2012

yeah knott has been kicking and screaming for me to listen to this for like 2 years

Maniac!

great review as always.

sounds like something I'd like

March 9th 2012

Think you'd find something in here, man. Either this or Reconstruction Site are a good start.

Activista anti-MTV
March 9th 2012

Have to listen to the Weakerthans... heard a lot of good things about them. pos

NeutralThunder12
March 9th 2012

my favorite weakerthans so far, and aside is the best song ive ever heard

Satellite

Activista anti-MTV

what's with the K?

Satellite

20676 Comments

uhh it's his middle initial

Probably mine too, Sat - these and the Mountain Goats are neck and neck

March 10th 2012

Great articulation in this review, Phlebas. I haven't heard this either, but I've been meaning to get it.

Aids
March 10th 2012

I prefer Reconstruction Site to this, that album just has something more to it, but I still love the fuck out of this because, um, The Weakerthans rule. Ace review though man, I love a good short review.

john k. samson is my favorite songwriter everrrrrr

yeah me too most likely, him or John Darnielle

and to all you people putting off listening to The Weakerthans holy shit you're going to be kicking yourself when you finally get around to it. Best. Band. Ever.

March 10th 2012

I heard that one live album which I loved.