Undergang
Til Doden Os Skiller

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
March 9th, 2012 | 82 replies | 4,119 views

Review Summary: Even though Hyp, Shadows, and Motiv 3.5'd this, it's actually a 4.

Rotten, Filthy, Disgusting, Nasty, Putrid, Vomit, Horsehuckling, sh't is this is fuking sick! Can death metal sound any better? *** no, this is it right here. You need to listen to this now. Undergang knows how to do death metal right. For anyone interested in hearing what "real" death metal sounds like, "Til Doden Os Skiller" is the album for you.

Undergang is the epitome of "trve" when it comes to death metal. They are literally holding on to the roots of death metal; all the finest components are here. But I have to start with production because this is number one. That satanic, filthy, hellish atmosphere is seriously what a hard on feels like. Every single track is raw to the flesh splitting bone. "Ormeorgie" is just the heaviest blanket you've ever slept under. The pounding riffs constantly instill a sense of life in you, even though the riffs are literally killing you. This production is supported by excellent song writing. What can be most appreciated about "Til Doden Os Skiller" is how well Undergang keeps that filthy, evil atmosphere always present. Guitarist/Vocalist Torturdod is the head and founder of Undergang, almost always being responsible for constructing the sound that Undergang is known for. Always favoring the heavier side of riffs, Torturdod is a forerunner of best death metal composers. As brought out before this "trve" nature of Undergang is manisfest in how dedicated and loyal they are to what death metal is all about; being that the music should sound and feel like death. You should be feeling like you want to puke out your insides because you’re being graced so hard.

"Til Doden Os Skiller" never fails in creating music that is nothing less than spectacular. The closer "Kadavermarch" has some of the greatest feelings I've ever felt from death metal. The slow pacing riffs over the perfect grooved drum licks play with an atmosphere that is completely original.

An exceptional element of this LP is the use of skits. While sometimes this can be a complete failure, as certain artist completely destroy their albums with the poor placement of skits, Undergang's usage only makes this album all the more better. "Stranuleret" has one of the best skits I've ever heard in the area of metal. There's this like, what I would call an Oscar award winning performance of this, what sounds like an Italian lady, uttering something in her native language that sounds like she's pissed she's about to get raped or something. Regardless of her fate, the skit flows perfectly into solid stenchy death metal which is just one hell of a solid death track; comparable to well known moments of Immolation's slow brooding moments off the self titled track from "Unholy Cult" and Morbid Angel's groovy death riffs in "World of Shit", off the Covenant album.

With an awesome length and contribution to modern death metal enthusiasts, "Til Doden Os Skiller" proves that death metal is still alive. With their merits hanging high, Undergangs second full length puts them in the ranks of the best modern death metalers of our day.