Spawn of Possession
Incurso

by Abrogation USER (3 Reviews)
March 9th, 2012 | 569 replies | 34,834 views

Review Summary: Spawn of Possession’s Incurso shows that Technical Death Metal can still leave the listener in absolute awe.

Spawn of Possession’s sophomore album Noctambulant is regarded by many as one of the better albums of the Technical Death Metal genre, nonetheless the band seemed to be holding back. On the bands third release, Incurso, Spawn of Possession have gone balls-to-the-wall, creating an album that will be regarded as one of the best Technical Death Metal releases of their time.

Most notable of the whole album is the guitar-work. Jonas Bryssling and Christian Müenzner’s riffs flow perfectly in sync, the lead guitars soaring and breathtaking. The technicality and complexities of the riffs are unmatched, yet the guitarists still stray away from being ‘wanky’. Melody and fantastic song structures are utilized to keep the listener interested. The solos are utterly stunning and intricate and the production is crisp, yet still ‘brutal’. Every note rings true, while retaining the feel of old-school Death Metal. Bryssling and Müenzner have coalesced neo-classical, jazz and Death Metal influences into one monster of an album. Meanwhile, the bass work is just as impressive. Erlend Casperen’s bass is always rraudible and accompanies the guitarists splendidly, while still doing his own thing. Erlend often leaps out of the backdrop and into the spotlight, showing how vital he is to the album.

As can be expected from a Death Metal band, Spawn of Possession’s drummer Henrik Schönström is excellent. Schönström shows he can play lightning blast beats, but also gives the music the chance to breathe as to accentuate the other instruments. Last of all, Dennis Röndum is absolutely demonic on vocals. His vocal patterns are very well-placed and impress the listener with very fast and deep growls. The only flaw with his performance is his limited use of range; he rarely strays from his growling style. However, this does not detract from the album at all.

Spawn of Possession has created a Technical Death Metal masterpiece with their album Incurso and seems to have finally perfected their sound.

Recommended Tracks:
• Where Angels Go Demons Follow,
• The Evangelist,
• Deus Avertat,
• Apparition,

Abrogation
March 8th 2012

My first review. Would love some constructive criticism.

Hawks
March 8th 2012

Hey let's all 5 an album that hasn't even been released yet!

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

MO
March 8th 2012

if there's no official stream then this review will get deleted, so make sure you save it and post it when something comes out, unless it has heh

boring band

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

TBliss2
March 8th 2012

Cool album, but not a 5 by a long shot.

MO
March 8th 2012

gotta love when all the songs are thrown onto youtube

albums not bad, between a 3 and 3.5

March 8th 2012

Really good stuff. I like it more than their previous albums.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

March 8th 2012

cant have a tech death thread without bloc!

Crysis
March 8th 2012

Simply put, Spawn of Possesion is like having your genitalia slowly mutilated by a rusty chainsaw. Riffs are chaotic and brutal, vocals are roared at unimaginable speeds, and the drums resemble an aural steamroller. While not as spastic and unpredictable as Necrophagist, the band they would most accurately be compared to, Spawn of Possession plays at blinding speeds with plentiful solos and memorable songwriting. Truly one of the forerunners of technical death metal.

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

drewkar

Not technical enough

Digging: Nothing More - Nothing More

March 8th 2012

Oh shit when did this review go up

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

yeah bro this isn't a 5 at all, more like a 4-4.2

March 8th 2012

was gonna review this too,

also you do know if there is no official stream for this you can't post a review for it

seedofnothing
March 8th 2012

I've heard about 5 tracks off this so far.

Betacra
March 8th 2012

Just finished listening to this, fantastic stuff, first impression points me towards a 4, but I'm going to have to listen again and maybe more times to confirm my rating.

Thank you CaptainDooRight for reminding me to download this!

Abrogation
March 8th 2012

through a leak. I have saved the review, am I best off taking this down?

TBliss2
March 8th 2012

I think it has been streamed in full, think I read it earlier somewhere.

ITsHxCTOASTER
March 8th 2012

Holy shit that average rating

March 8th 2012

"Wasn't aware of the inability to post reviews without an official stream, I've heard the full album through a leak. I have saved
the review, am I best off taking this down?"

Don't worry about it bro, mods will take care of it. If not your fine. You won't get in trouble or anything unless you're a repeat offender.

March 8th 2012

also excellent review too, pos