Alchemist
Austral Alien

by conesmoke USER (5 Reviews)
March 6th, 2012 | 24 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Alchemist: A Unique Brand of Sci-Fi Metal

Alchemist is a 4 piece metal act from the Australian Capital Territory.

Right from the start of Austral Alien the listener is thrust into First Contact. A fast paced and densely layered sound that sets the scene for the 47 minutes of spacey progressive metal to come.

The Guitar work between Adam Agius & Roy Torkington is very unique and quite impressive throughout the whole album. The songs Solarburn, Alpha Capella Nova Vega and Epsilon are fantastic examples of the intricate riffs and melodies this partnership creates throughout Alchemists Discography.

Adam’s vocals are just one of those things that finally click after however many listens. They can be harsh at times but always seem to fade seamlessly back into the wall of sound from which they blasted through. His style can be described as a smooth roar/yell. The Vocal harmonies he sings are very interesting and fit perfectly with the music.

Adam Also occasionally lays down a synth section. It creates Spaced out atmospheres from which Roy and Rodney Holder lay down some really cool and danceable rhythms & moods.

Bass riffs, like the one near the end of Alpha Capella Nova Vega are placed perfectly in the guitar pauses, creating a funky vibe in the overall heaviness.
Older than the ancients is a groovy song. It shows how John Bray can lay down bass lines that provide the soil in which the two guitarists grow their leads. This song evolves to have a rather energetic ending with some powerful vocals.

Austral Alien is definitely a beast with many heads. Although the guitar tone is fairly constant, there is a whole lot of variety within its 11 tracks. Its lyrics are inspired by man’s impact on the Australian environment and it’s inhabitants.
I.e. “nature on a leash” and making “first contact”

Nature on a leash & Speed of life show how Rodney Holders has his own style when it comes to drumming and can produce some complex and speedy patterns when the music calls for it. Without having very many fills, his rhythms evolve slowly throughout each song and at times are the driving force of the sound.

Epsilon is my favorite song off this album. Aside from the lovely sounds coming from the guitars and the solid drumming, the use of robotic styled vocals add serenity and a sense of beauty to the music.

Alchemist is a great band who have musically created a heavy sound very much their own.

4/5

First Review.

Love Alchemist. The booklet and artwork are awesome too.

March 6th 2012

Decent first. Good band, i've been waiting years in hope of a new Alchemist record.

Digging: Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith

March 6th 2012

thanks man. Yeah that'd be good.

March 6th 2012

it dissolves and coagulates sooooo well.

March 6th 2012

yeah you'll like this. This band really doesn't get the attention it deserves. Good music m/

March 6th 2012

nothing wrong with a little bit of funk is there?

March 6th 2012

I was going to review this aaages ago. I think I have half a review lying around somewhere. :L

Solarburn is the shit.m/

Coast
March 6th 2012

Nice review. Quality album but not up there with Organasm and Spiritech.

March 6th 2012

thanks mate! haha i beat you to it Butkuiss. Yeh solarburn is the bomb.

SgtPepper
March 6th 2012

Congratulations on your first review! and well written one at that.
Have a Pos.
I've heard this band mentioned, and a few tracks but have never sat down and truly listened to them. i'll have to check them out.
i like anything "Proggy"

March 6th 2012

Thanks a lot! Yeah these guys are heaps proggy, a really rewarding band once you've sunk your teeth in.

Voivod

Awesome band and record.

Will read this later (i am in class now).

Digging: Seduced (AT) - The Proclamation

March 6th 2012

no worries, look forward to hearing your thoughts.

ThroneOfAgony
March 13th 2012

I get this sense (as obvious as it may be), that you're a coneren alt. maybe not, who knows, but good review nonetheless

March 17th 2012

Haha yeah you're not the first person to think i'm coneren. I'm not.

Thnx for the kind words. I'll write another soon.

Silent you'd like this band if you havn't already heard them.

March 18th 2012

m/ m/ m/

Coast

m/

ALPHA CAPELLA NOVA VEGAAAAAAAAA

ALPHA CAPELLA NOVA VEGA!

October 23rd 2012

my iTunes says the last time I listened to this in full was 2 years and 13 days ago.

Changing that as we speak.