Dokken
Under Lock and Key

by dannyboy89 USER (31 Reviews)
March 6th, 2012 | 9 replies | 1,487 views

Release Date: 1985 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Dokken's third album does not top it's predecessor, but comes close to equaling it.

Dokken: The Golden Years

Part III of IV: Under Lock and Key

Tooth and Nail was a very tough album to follow, being in pretty much every sense Dokken's magnum opus. Nevertheless, the band had enough energy and creativity to release an album that could be a fitting enough successor. The band was certainly in it's top shape at this time, and logic pretty much dictated that they follow a similar formula to that earlier record. Thus, we get 1985's Under Lock and Key.

Dokken's roster at this time consisted of:

Don Dokken: Vocals
George Lynch: Guitars
Jeff Pilson: Bass
Mick Brown: Drums

Of course, to truly understand this record, it's necessary to go beyond the mere production process. By this time, Dokken was one of the leading glam metal acts in terms of sales. Gaining more and more commercial exposure, it was inevitable that the somewhat straightforward approach of Tooth and Nailhad to be watered down somewhat. That's not to say that Under Lock and Key is seriously weakened by this, but it does mean that this album has somewhat poppier leanings than it's predecessor.

Of course, Lynch's guitar is still as strong as ever. He never gets to top his performance in [i]Tooth and Nail[i], but he comes quite close. He pulls off some cool riffs and impressive solos that still count among his best. Don's voice comes through nicely as always, even if the lyrics themselves can be quite cheesy. Drums for the most part simply serve to add tension in some songs here and there, but for all intents and purposes, they are not memorable. The same goes for the bass, which again is barely audible.

In My Dreams is easily the best-known song from this album. It's also the easiest to remember: it starts off with a nice riff and a nice bridge that goes:

What can I say or do
You won't come back, we're through
I've realized too late
That, baby, your love has turned away

Yes, it's cheesy, but Don makes it look good the way he performs it. The song also features one of Lynch's most famous solos. Yet other standout tracks include Unchain the Night, Lightnin' Strikes Again, The Hunter and It's Not Love (all these tracks possess more or less similar qualities to In My Dreams). Overall, this album is recommended for any fan of 80's music, hard rock, or glam metal. Dokken's more than occasional cheesiness may turn off some people, but those who manage to ignore will easily come to enjoy this record.

Recommended Tracks: