Narrows
Painted

by Elijah K. STAFF
March 4th, 2012 | 35 replies

Review Summary: An album that can and should boost Narrows up to the heights they so rightfully deserve.

There are at least two constants with metalcore band, Narrows, of which have been both detrimental and exceptional towards the group’s success. The first constant is the egregious ties to the legacy of Botch. Yes, while being tied to such a legendary band has its perks, it’s created a looming shadow over the fledgling band; a shadow of large expectations that gives the men of Narrows some rather large shoes to fill. Sharing vocalist Dave Verellen has certainly drawn a decent amount of attention, but even his presence pales to the second constant: Narrows consistently make some of the most captivating music in the genre today.

Painted, for all intents and purposes, will go largely unnoticed by the musical listening populace. While the genre’s heavy-weights hog the spotlight with familiar riffs and screams, Narrows shy away and produce their own brand of metalcore, with spectacular results. In all actuality, the band does share a fair amount with Botch, as meticulously structured songwriting and dense atmospheres take precedence over sheer sonic assault. That isn’t to say that Painted is not a heavy album, not in the least. Songs such as “TB Positive,” and “Final Mass” are short oppressive burst of enveloping chaos, as Verellen’s low hollers match the sludgy bass and chugging guitar lines perfectly. But rather than plow their way through the record’s eight songs, Narrows spice things up with a more textured comportment. “Greenland,” the album’s longest track, bisects the album as a massive and ambiguous entity that effectively acts as a “slow cooker.” Filled with bizarre sounds and anguished screams, the songs takes its time building up to an explosive and cathartic finish. While its inclusion initially seems odd, it acts as a somewhat beautiful reprieve from the madness and cacophony that fills the rest of the album.

Narrows have crafted another impressive recording that displays their musical prowess, as well as promise. Within its 26 minutes lies an amicable amount of intensity, passion, and palpable creativity, portraying a fresh sound that absolutely begs to be heard.

Envy Atheist's CorneaSigh Graveward
Marriages SalomeMarsen Jules The Empire of Silence
Leviathan Scar SightedImperial Triumphant Abyssal Gods
I Am The Sputnikker (4.5)
Narrows and Dave Verellen continue being impressive under the radar....

SgtPepper
March 4th 2012

^The awkward moment when someone else uploads the same exact review as you. I enjoyed the read, though you call them "metalcore", i think theyre more "mathcore. but whatever. I pos'd

Samizdat
March 4th 2012

if i ever listen to this, i will think of nothing but crock pots when i listen to greenland

positive

Tyrael

20996 Comments

but good review

Omaha
March 4th 2012

Clicked on this expecting more indie wizardry because of the nifty artwork

Was wrong

Really though, great review. Never been a big metalcore fan, but there are a few exceptions I give chances to :]

Irving

Went with a shorter review this time, hope it's good ;3

It is =)

HaloDude442
March 4th 2012

this is real good, i like the raw metalcore sound

DoubtGin

zzzzzzzzz

plane
March 4th 2012

It seems like this band and Grimes switched album covers

insomniac15
March 4th 2012

Great and to the point review Xeno, however, doesn't "slow cooker" sound better as slow burner ? This way it seems a bit out of place

Digging: High on Fire - Luminiferous

fish.
March 4th 2012

been hearing about this. I'll check it out

fish.
March 4th 2012

Deathwish posted this on their FB page

sixthgoldenticket
March 4th 2012

maybe seeing these guys on wednesday with citycop and native, I checked them out and wasn't too into them before but I'll give it another shot. good review.

Ponton
March 4th 2012

yeah man here we go. cant stand much yelling this month but im sure this brings the well played raws

deathofasalesman

AliW1993
March 4th 2012

Hmm this sounds interesting, do you think that I'd enjoy this?

eternium

aahhhhhh

aahhaahhahahahahaha

GnarlyShillelagh
March 5th 2012

Dave Verellen's the shit and all but holy god this artwork is disgusting

fromtheinside

20197 Comments

new distances' was great for me at first and then it slacked off a bit for me. i'm still intrigued by this though

iamthenightmare