Miss May I
Monument

by Flut USER (17 Reviews)
February 29th, 2012 | 75 replies | 4,528 views

Review Summary: With Monument they show improvement. Enough for me to realize maybe this band will one day get things down and become good.

This band shows they have talent and can be creative but many flaws ruin all that. Their live shows are also not so good. Guitar players do their job fine, and so does the drummer. But the vocals are lacking live Levi Benton cant fry scream live, he just yells and the cleans are just bad. Clean singer cant sing at all live.

Monument is a much better album than their debut. Its more melodic and has less breakdowns. But the breakdowns still run rampant threw out the album. The guitars have improved much since their debut. Though the bass is almost inaudible, its not so bad it brings the album down but it would be nice if the bass was actually doing something. Some times they actually have a good creative catchy riff but will ruin it to slow down the tempo to play generic chugs. Sometimes the breakdowns can work. In Masses of a Dying Breed in the second verse one guitar keeps playing the main riff while the other guitar begins playing chugs behind it. But even then it gets ruined when they have to slow the song down to play generic chugs, ruining it. If they could get a sense of better placement for breakdowns and use less they could easily become a better band.

The vocals however on the album(Studio, not live)are fantastic. Levi brings diversity. From regular sceams to death metal gutturals and high pitched screaming and does a great job. He is pretty understandable as well. Which may be a plus for some. Ryan Neff(Bass Player and clean singer) Is pretty standard clean singer. A little whiny but not so much it will annoy some. Sounds a lot like As I Lay Dying's clean singer Josh. The lyrics are pretty standard as well. There not bad in anyway. but its not exactly the greatest poetry you ever seen. The drummer brings mostly standard fills and lacks compared to others in the genre. His double bass is pretty boring, which in metalcore the pedals can bring a lot to the table. Some moments do pretty well, like the chorus of Mass of a Dying Breed which using a constant mid paced double bass fill with a lot of strange cymbal fills.

The production is pretty standard. Joey Sturgis is pretty bad producer in my opinion. He produces most of the generic metalcore bands we hear today, like Asking Alexandria and We Came as Romans. The production is pretty clean. Seeing that this band cant do vocals live makes me wonder how much the vocals are pro tooled.(If they are) The guitar tone is pretty bland, the guitars are not thin but it could be some much better. But with a generic producer what do you expect.

I think Miss May has what it takes to be a good band. But they need to improve their live performances, get a better ungeneric producer and play less breakdowns. Maybe even find a more original sound rather than using As I Lay Dying's sound. If these things can be achieved they can do something truly good. We will just have to see if this band has what it takes to improve.

HammerFall Glory to the BraveMisery Signals Mirrors
Misery Signals Of Malice and the Magnum HeartMisery Signals Misery Signals
Aim For The Sunrise No Kings, No ChainsAim For The Sunrise The Bigger Picture; Hope
2.8