Corrosion of Conformity
Corrosion of Conformity

by Joseph Viney STAFF
February 29th, 2012 | 35 replies

Review Summary: No Pepper, but well spiced

Corrosion of Conformity is an album of many firsts and new beginnings for the long-standing, well established group. Seven years preceded this latest release, the greatest gap between albums in their history. It is also the first with Reed Mullin behind the kit since the release of America’s Volume Dealer at the turn of the century. Inclusive of that, this is the first record not to feature Pepper Keenan in any capacity since their 1987 effort, Technocracy.

Dependent upon your point of view, the complete absence of Keenan might be an utter negative or a fresh start. Fortunately, there is plenty to be happy with here. Corrosion of Conformity is imbued with a punk thrash that propels the record at breakneck speed at various points. The aforementioned thrash mixes seamlessly with the sludgy, ponderous routines that represent more familiar territory for the group. Opener “Psychic Vampire” is one of the finer examples of this. Its frantic chorus is sandwiched between slower verses that are impossible to ignore. “Your Tomorrow”, perhaps a slight dig at errant political administrations, dispenses with the niceties and delivers a four minute lesson in relentless energy. “Leeches” is like an adrenaline shot to the heart and “El Lamento De Las Cabras” is a necessary break from proceedings, allowing you to roll a smoke or crack open a beer; whatever may aid you in devouring such music. Elsewhere, “River of Stone” is the album’s most notable track. It combines aggressive instrumentation, melancholic lyrics and a bass interlude reminiscent of Black Sabbath’s immortal “N.I.B.”

Those who seek a method behind the madness need not look far. The album’s production is without needless fanfare and benefits from it immensely. It allows the weighty three-piece to shine without trickery. For better or worse, each song gives the impression of work that has been non-prejudicially recorded and kept, lest they lose that magic touch. At times this can be to the album’s detriment. The live, organic and raw feel that entices you in for the first few songs can become tiresome late on. It means that songs such as “The Moneychangers” and “Weaving Spiders Come Not Here”, catchy and powerful as they are, induce a sense of fatigue in the listener. The howling grind these boys produce here can begin to grate eventually and it’s a shame, because there’s plenty to be gained from repeat listens if you’re happy to stick with it.

In a month that has seen a release from UK counterparts Orange Goblin just prior to this, and with talk of a new Down release in May of this year, those who like their music enveloped in a fug of green smoke should be having a grand old time.

Morrissey World Peace Is None of Your BusinessArchie Bronson Outfit Wild Crush

cvlts

welcome to 2012 joe

JViney
February 28th 2012

Thanks. It's...good (?) to be here.

greg84
February 28th 2012

I didn't like very much what I've heard from this, but tbh I've never been a huge C.O.C. fan.

Digging: Dope Body - Lifer

doubt I'd like this

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

ZombicidalMan
February 28th 2012

Pepper is one of my favorite guitarists (not saying he's one of the best, just a favorite), so to me it's a shame he's not on this one. Regardless, I'll check it out.

Spec
February 28th 2012

That's cool I like salt better.

SteelErectedb4you8er
February 28th 2012

This is a great album even without Pepper. I mean, the rest of the dudes are just as talented and Woody has a great guitar sound and style. It is awesome that they can get together, have an awesome time, and write good music doing it. Nice review.

FrFRfr
February 28th 2012

i need to listen to this. COC is awesome.

StrizzMatik
February 29th 2012

Of course Pepper isn't on it. This is their 80's Animosity/Technocracy line-up, from when they didn't suck

Digging: Lagwagon - Hang

thumbcrusher
February 29th 2012

it was alright, not that gripping for me though

sexpoi
February 29th 2012

idk, I really liked the sound Peppar brought to the table. I might check this out

Taoboxer9
February 29th 2012

Did they bring Karl back ? Or is Dean singing ?

Inveigh
February 29th 2012

the Pepper era is awesome, but for completely different reasons than Animosity

Technocracy pretty much sucked though

taylormemer

Eh.

Rastapunk
March 1st 2012

It's alright, it has some good moments. Definitely not a 4 though, I think you overrated it .

Aids
March 1st 2012

"It's...good (?) to be here."

hahaha, story of sputnik's life

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

JamieTwort

20990 Comments

Listened to a few songs from this and wasn't overly impressed.

NodScene23
March 2nd 2012

I'm enjoying this new release. Some really solid tracks here. Worthy of a 3.5 so far I'd say.

March 2nd 2012

"Woody has a great guitar sound and style"

does Woody have any other great attributes

Minushuman24