Pallbearer
Sorrow And Extinction

by Camelo Colca USER (12 Reviews)
February 25th, 2012 | 188 replies

Review Summary: When sorrow and extinction becomes beautiful and uplifting.

Pallbearer hails from Little Rock, Arkansas and includes members of the bands SPORTS and Deadbird. Arkansas has created quite a scene over the past 10 years with the bands mentioned above as well as Rwake. These Arkansas doomsters started creating a lot of buzz when they were signed to Profound Lore last year, and the 2010 demo came to light for the rest of the world. The 2010 demo made doom fans excited for what was to come, and fans anxiously awaited their Profound Lore debut. Now, that we have Sorrow and Extinction within our grasp, the melancholy and sorrowful atmosphere presented will bring clarity and happiness into new life created.

Sorrow and Extinction starts off with, "Foreigner,"a 12:23 journey into sadness and death. The recording almost sounds like it was done in a church, or a hall. For example, the vocals have an adequate level of reverb mixed with a touch of delay to make them sound distant and disconnected with the music, but in a positive way. When you combine the distant and disconnected vocal recording with Brett Campbell's melodic and sorrowful cries, it sounds beautiful when mixed with the guitars, bass, and drums. Which brings us to the music, the guitars sound heavy and provide excellent textures between the harmonies and melodies. "The Legend" and "An Offering of Grief" are perfect songs to demonstrate the well-crafted melodies and harmonies that Pallbearer execute flawlessly. As far as the drums and bass, they are the backbone that supports the heaviness and power, the slow and dynamic of force of the melodies, the riffs, the song structures, and Brett Campbell's voice. Without them, the songs would not sound as organic or natural. With the journey coming to an end, "Given to the Grave" closes the casket to the Sorrow and Extinction. Literally, this song sounds like you are being put to rest indefinitely.

Crafting such a melancholy, depressing doom record, and making it sound hopeful, beautiful, and uplifting is not an easy task to achieve. However, Pallbearer prove that it is possible, and do it extremely well. Sorrow and Extinction would make a perfect funeral album for someone that you love, and when it is over, peace overcomes you knowing that that person is still with you in memories, your heart, and your mind.

Asteroid AsteroidThe Hidden Hand Mother * Teacher * Destroyer
The Wounded Kings In the Chapel of the Black HandOrchid (USA-CA) Capricorn
Ghost B.C. Opus EponymousOm Variations on a Theme

February 25th 2012

Hope you all enjoy this! Let me know what you think!

Wizard

19502 Comments

You stole my review! I was only two lines in hahahaha. You pretty much said what I was going to say. This to me is what doom should sound like!

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

Motiv3
February 25th 2012

very good review, this is an excellent doom album, though ive only listened through once, will rate when ive listened a few more times.

DarkNoctus
February 25th 2012

better than the demo but not that good. pretty good review nonetheless. :]

sideburndude

Yes, this is so good.

greg84
February 25th 2012

Cool review Steve. I'd review it if you didn't. The album's growing on me. I don't know if it's as good as Warning or 40 Watt Sun, but it definitely has its own vibe going on. It's such a graceful doom metal album.

Change the name of the label to 'Profound Lore' and the name of the singer/guitarist to 'Brett Campbell'

Digging: Dope Body - Lifer

ShadowRemains
February 25th 2012

this is really good, lots of great riffs

Digging: Execration (NOR) - Morbid Dimensions

February 25th 2012

Haha, sorry Wizard. I was feeling inspired over a cup of coffee and listening to the record. Since I hadn't wrote one in a long time, this just came out fast! I think I have Profound Lore spelled correctly and Brett Campell, you want me to quote them? Thanks for comments and pos, dudes.

Hyperion1001
February 25th 2012

havent been in the mood to listen to this yet but i'm looking forward to it

Digging: Execration (NOR) - Morbid Dimensions

greg84
February 25th 2012

I pos'd, but you've got:

"awaited their Profound Lord debut"

and the name of their frontman is really Brett Campbell. I checked it and I'm always right. ;)

February 25th 2012

ahhhh, I was typing so fast, I misspelled....thank you! I didn't notice, I will change it!

Album rules.

February 25th 2012

better than the demo but not that good.

chambered69

albums ok 5/5

Hyperion1001

i think he meant it like:

its not that good

February 25th 2012

I think it all depends on mood, atmosphere, and attention span. Records like these aren't for everyone, but man, I don't know, I think it is superb..but that is my opinion. Yeah, he might that it is good, but not more than great.

DotEight
February 25th 2012

Album is pretty good. Nothing exceptional.

February 25th 2012

It's a lot better than the 40 Watt Sun album.

DarkNoctus

i think he meant it like:

its not that good

yeah, i did. :]

February 25th 2012

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I definitely agree it's not a 4.5.