The Beatles
With the Beatles

by crandynewman USER (38 Reviews)
February 24th, 2012 | 14 replies | 1,504 views

Release Date: 1963 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I can see myself with the Beatles, this is more like it!!

After the rather boring Please Please Me, The Beatles had a lot to answer for. Could they make a whole album of really grand songs like the title track of Please Please Me? Well...no but this one is much closer than their first effort. The Beatles were still getting used to thier sound at this point and I'm surprised their albums are as good as the are considering how fast they released albums in they're very short runtime as a band. With the Beatles is a good record especially for 1963 and has a few rather grand tracks to love and remember.

On this album there are not quite as many covers as the first album, Please Please Me., and this works to the favor of the band. Nobody wants to hear a a album full of covers, at least not at the time, and the addition of more original Beatles work is a welcome addition. The first song called It Won't Be Long is probably the best song on the album and the chorus of it is simply perfect. The background yeah yeahs are perfect and the very rockebilly riff is exceptional coming from the early band and George Harrison's new found chops.

The band still likes the annoying blues songs though...Roll Over Beethoven is just a generic blues song with that generic blues riff that everybody knows thanks to Bad to the Bone. But there are also quite a few good ones like All I Want to Do and All My Loving, and one of they're best covers, Money (That Is What I Want). Till There Was You is another cover that is pretty good just because it has a pretty melody but being a cover, its not especially original. But overall it is a pretty good album even though its not the best Beatles album. Its not even the best Beatles poppy album but it is definitely a step in the right direction from the young band.