Vordven
Towards The Frozen Stream

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
February 21st, 2012 | 26 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Finnish Atmospheric Black Folk Crafts A Great Deal of Beauty and Melody into a Journey of Dreams

Everybody likes melody. The problem is usually the way it's presented. Some bands will play melodies that are just over the top, holding no solid foundation or emotion. Some are forced down your throat. The power and true gift that we humans can bestow up on ears is unique and a precious gift, often used in the wrong ways. While melodies and taste can be objectional, it can't be argued that little toddlers even naturally dance when they hear cool beats or reaggeaish rythms. So don't lie to yourself and say you don't melody because eveyone does.

"Towards the Frozen Stream" is a masterpiece of well crafted, beautiful melodies. The atmospheric nature gives a relaxing, yet hopeful feeling. Some of Vordven's compositions have a playful attitude to them, almost creating a joyful feeling in your heart. Tracks like "Dream of Northside" feel's like your on a quest to an unknown land. A sense of hope envelopes your mind as you feel the approaching success to your conquest.

The best way to describe this album is viking low-mid tempo depressive black metal with catchy melodies. Remember like as I mentioned earlier these melodies tend to give a sense of hope, rather than a sense of awkwardness. The occasional blend of operatic dissonant vocals give remembrance to Ulver's masterpiece, which is Bergtatt.

The synths blend well with the fluffy-like snow tremolos. Often blended with a re-verb like effect, the synth harmonies provide a great deal of the melody found within "TTFS".

The length of the tracks are very appropiate and tend to never overstay their welcome, yet still provide's an adequate length to allow the emotions to flourish; such as in the case of the title track.

If you enjoy this album I stongly urge you to try to find their first demo "When the Wind Blew For the First Time". The melodies in that demo are extremely godly.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Summoning Minas Morgul

inb4u

NocteDominum
February 20th 2012

Album art's drawing me in.

February 20th 2012

yeah sorry to post two review in one day but I couldn't help myself with this one.

check i-pod, you should like, also check the summoning rec too if you haven't heard it. soooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooddddd

February 20th 2012

who neg'd, review and album own

February 20th 2012

Gonna try and find a download for this now. Sounds awesome.

February 20th 2012

yeah it's really good hawks, i couldn't find their demo that I mentioned at the end of the review but it's really good too. some of the demo is posted on youtube, def check it

February 20th 2012

check out the melody from track two

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcz0rtfCXUQ

February 20th 2012

you'll like it if you like wizards and elfs

February 20th 2012

This is awesome so far. Gonna end up in the 4 or 4.5 range for sure.

February 20th 2012

hell yeah that's what I'm talking about Hawks.

just download it troggy....

February 20th 2012

The melodies here are so good. Definitely very reminiscent of Summoning.

February 20th 2012

"The melodies here are so good. Definitely very reminiscent of Summoning"

Because of this album I had to listen to Minas Morgal and Oath Bound

"I did...I just like physical CDs. It was hard enough hunting down that Paramaecium CD I reviewed, but so worth it when it came"

Yeah that album is soooo good. I'd rec that album to anyone one. Wouldn't mind having a hard copy of that either.
Vordeven is split up and I couldn't find any hard copies either. I would totally pay for their demo mentioned above tho.

elfs m/

yeah i filetramed it, most links are taken down from mediafire, ill try to send you a copy link tonight within the next coupla hours

NocteDominum
February 20th 2012

If it's anything like Summoning you'll have a winner from me mate, I'll look into it for sure.

February 20th 2012

I found a mediafire link pretty easily.

February 20th 2012

sweet glad you guys could find.

@ hawks - haha I was just gonna tell you to 4.5 this, those operatic vocals in "Dream of Northside" make me jizz everytime

February 20th 2012

Eternal Storm is such a good track off this album, a must hear!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG4-nh-alOc

Vesper
February 20th 2012

I was sold once I saw a LotR reference, haha.

Downloading now, Captain.

February 20th 2012

Awesome Vesper in regards to gettin, didn't quite get what "LotR" means tho....

February 20th 2012

LotR = Lord of the Rings.

And Vesper is a she, not a he haha.