Vordven
Towards The Frozen Stream

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
February 21st, 2012 | 9 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Finnish Atmospheric Black Folk Crafts A Great Deal of Beauty and Melody into a Journey of Dreams

Everybody likes melody. The problem is usually the way it's presented. Some bands will play melodies that are just over the top, holding no solid foundation or emotion. Some are forced down your throat. The power and true gift that we humans can bestow up on ears is unique and a precious gift, often used in the wrong ways. While melodies and taste can be objectional, it can't be argued that little toddlers even naturally dance when they hear cool beats or reaggeaish rythms. So don't lie to yourself and say you don't melody because eveyone does.

"Towards the Frozen Stream" is a masterpiece of well crafted, beautiful melodies. The atmospheric nature gives a relaxing, yet hopeful feeling. Some of Vordven's compositions have a playful attitude to them, almost creating a joyful feeling in your heart. Tracks like "Dream of Northside" feel's like your on a quest to an unknown land. A sense of hope envelopes your mind as you feel the approaching success to your conquest.

The best way to describe this album is viking low-mid tempo depressive black metal with catchy melodies. Remember like as I mentioned earlier these melodies tend to give a sense of hope, rather than a sense of awkwardness. The occasional blend of operatic dissonant vocals give remembrance to Ulver's masterpiece, which is Bergtatt.

The synths blend well with the fluffy-like snow tremolos. Often blended with a re-verb like effect, the synth harmonies provide a great deal of the melody found within "TTFS".

The length of the tracks are very appropiate and tend to never overstay their welcome, yet still provide's an adequate length to allow the emotions to flourish; such as in the case of the title track.

If you enjoy this album I stongly urge you to try to find their first demo "When the Wind Blew For the First Time". The melodies in that demo are extremely godly.