Cruciamentum
Engulfed In Desolation

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
February 17th, 2012 | 119 replies | 5,612 views

Review Summary: Is it lawful to 5 an EP?

To be straightforward, as my current mood suggest, this review is extremely pretentious; however, not without justifiable cause. When you find every element you know and love about sound, merged into one flawless piece of art, it's hard not to sound like a happy little school boy in heat. All jokes aside, "Engulfed In Desolation" is one serious album, ok I couldn't help myself.

There are obviously many forms of Death Metal available. Even amongst the different forms are subsidiary forms. Amongst OSDM you have the "techy" Demilich's, the heavy Immolation and Bolt Thrower's, the groovy Dismember’s, and many more elements. After a certain amount of time, being exposed to all of Death Metal's best acts, you will begin to formulate your likes and dislikes; your needs and wants. Being that we're all humans, at least I hope we all are, our opinions will differ; but in my opinion this album has everything I could possibly want in a Death Metal album. Perfect riffs: mostly tremolos with proper drawn out lengths, fusing chugs, occasional higher octave harmonies, but always favoring the darker heavy side. Orgasm inducing drums: staying one step ahead of the predictable norm, using well placed fills, and showcasing impeccable rhythm on the rides and cymbals. Frightening, guttural low toned growls: appearing in perfectly well placed fields, always enhancing the already set atmosphere that shines through due to perfect production; which favors an even balance of crusty vs. clear.

Although "Engulfed In Desolation" will not strike you as being anything new in the death metal scene, it did however grab my attention; being at how well the "puzzle pieces" were put together. This solid EP, giving a dense 24 minutes of playing time, takes the listener through 3 solid skull crushing tracks and ends with an 8 minute epic closer. The impavid "Unsanctified Temples" shows Cruciamentum's greatest performance to date. I highly recommend you stare at the album cover whilst listening to this track as you will really feel the what the creative minds behinds this album were trying to convey.

This is only rumor, but I heard Cruciamentum started with the album artwork first. They then "blew" the album art up into poster fashion. When they came together to write music for this EP they would always have the artwork in front of them; allowing them to have a unified visual goal, being what "Engulfed In Desolation" should sound like. I feel they've nailed this endeavor with dark sludgy alternating riffs to desperate heart pumping tempos. The visual aspect, achieved through sound, only testifies to advanced planning in this innovative one-minded technique.

With two solid demos, one split, and one azimuth-reaching EP, Cruciamentum have the formula to wet pallets of numerous Death Metal consumers. This catalogue can only make one so eager as to find what Cruciamentum has in store for future releases, hinting the epic closure to be a fore gleam into greater things to come. So yes, it is lawful to rate an EP a 5, as long his/her subjective taste' can justify.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

m/

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

Hep Kat
February 17th 2012

summary conveys some serious musical ignorance

AngelofDeath
February 17th 2012

You serious, bro? This is maybe a 3.5.

Beachcoma

amazing review pos

AngelofDeath
February 17th 2012

Ravens of a feather flock together.

February 17th 2012

both of the cruciamentum EP's kick ass

February 17th 2012

"You serious, bro? This is maybe a 3.5"

As the review states in sentence 1: "this review is extremely pretentious; however, not without justifiable cause"

"amazing review pos"

thanks brother in arms

"both of the cruciamentum EP's kick ass"

hell yeah they do, but they only have one Ep and two demo's bro

February 17th 2012

Convocation of Crawling Chaos and this kick ass...put it that way...demo, ep, whatever it is

February 17th 2012

Agreed, definitely check out "Rotten Flesh Crucifix"[2008 demo] as well.

zaruyache

Captain Obvious

Digging: CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe

February 17th 2012

dont see the need to the song is on convocation of crawling chaos?

February 17th 2012

well jumping jehosaphats, I'll be darned I didn't catch that the first time around

ok buddy we're 1 for 1.

Tyrannic
February 17th 2012

i hope it's lawful to 5 an ep, just 5'd kindred actually lol.

reading over the review, it seems like you're trying to break out of that to-the-pointness of your other reviews, and i think the focus is off as a result. you really like this album, i can see that, but you ramble a bit in this review (i know rambling when i see it only because i ramble A LOT.)

February 17th 2012

I had a lot to say but I hope I didn't come off as being redundant...

Wizard

19389 Comments

I find myself not liking this as much as I should.

Digging: Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra - The Key to the Gates of the Apocalypse

February 17th 2012

Let it seep Wizard. Allow the juices time to finely extract the there-in contained nutriets.

February 17th 2012

perhaps start with the convocation of crawling chaos demo, wizard

thats what i first heard

MrxSelfxDestruct

Is it lawful to 5 an EP?

lrn2TheRedPaintings

Tyrannic
February 17th 2012

I wouldn't say you were redundant, just unfocused. it isn't bad this is definitely me being a dick right now, but a dick for your own good :D!

February 17th 2012

"it isn't bad this is definitely me being a dick right now"

point taken