Ritual Necromancy
Oath of the Abyss

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
February 17th, 2012 | 102 replies | 4,319 views

Review Summary: Sex Sells

Before a night of ravenous sex, the mood can usually be set by a candle-light dinner, flowers, and a well prepared dinner. Likewise, a frenzied-chaotic death metal fest, coupled with brooding "doom-like" passages, can correspond with a dimensionally "point" driven album; point being – to drive anger, depression, sorrow, and pain, deeply into the souls of its listeners. One may ask, "Why would I subject myself to such torture?", because the feel of riffs [including drums] and vocals are subjectively comparable to sex.

Now let me entertain you for a moment. According to "Oath of the Abyss" [O.O.T.A.], the production is likened to the material being, made up of succulent riffs, drums, and vocals. Now let's say these components really want you. How can you resist free meat? Now I said "free", not "fresh" meat. Unfortunately this chick has been around the block a few times, and didn't save her "all" for you. But like Hawks would say, "Poon is Poon".

First of all the production style found within "O.O.T.A." is extremely desired amongst long-time death metal fans. You'll hear listeners say certain albums have good song-writing but the drum snare/cymbal is just overpowering everything they find enjoyable. Or, some may say the guitar tone is unsettling on their ears. "O.O.T.A." is subject to none of these flaws. The sludgy/fuzzy guitar tones and equalized drum ranks/levels merry well, allowing for grandiose compositional techniques, native to death metal, to shine through with agreeable merits.

The riffs and drums balance each other out; almost never competing for the spotlight, they work "hand over hand", slowly releasing the joy out of you, found in various tracks such as "Consummating Crypts of Eternity". They'll often play with you, choosing to go really fast or oozingly slow. Either way, they know how to transition tempos ever so slightly, as well as forcing themselves on you; inducing a sweat fest.

The vocals represented by the instrument called the "mouth", is capable and useful for many things; in this instance they serve as the "boat tipper". You've already sailed to a fiery abyss of emotions, now a tempestuous guttural wind storm forces you to abandon ship; subjecting your soul to a realm of mental disparity. Tracks like "The Chasm" and "Penitence" reaffirm the degradation.

Taken at face value, "O.O.T.A." can seem like a difficult "session" to handle. But I can assure you this chick has plenty of experience to get the job done. I guarantee when you're finished with her you'll wanna keep comin' back for more. Just make sure you explore her every crevice to see what she's capable of.

For Free Shipping and Handling write now! to:

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

Crysis

really enjoyed this

February 16th 2012

Glad you liked it, whether you were referring to the review or album.

Beachcoma

pos

February 16th 2012

thanks beach, make sure you check this out. Album probably isn't what you're likened too, but it's a good introduction into this sludgy choatic style of modern death metal.

Crysis
February 16th 2012

Glad you liked it, whether you were referring to the review or album.

both

Wizard

19206 Comments

Perfect review for this.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

entirely mediocre

Hawks
February 16th 2012

Lol great review, great album.

Digging: Manners - Pale Blue Light

"both"

thanks bro

"Perfect review for this"

haha thanks, t'was quite fun writting it too

"Lol great review, great album"

thanks man, I though about elaborating on your "poon" loving devices, but it felt inappropiate ;]

"entirely mediocre"

OK. I received the average feeling upon first listen as well but I'm reviewing this after at least 12 listens. I enjoy it much more now upon recent listens as opposed to my first encounter with this chick; which almost never happens, making this broad a worthwhile pursuit.

not seeing it man

take incantation, and strip all the cool moments out of it, and you are left with this

riffs are forgettable, solos are laughable, can barely hear bass drum

all around forgettable. kicks up a little dust in a couple of spots, thats it.

an album has to be good enough on first listen for me to even want to fuck with it again, and this isn't.

Hyperion1001
February 16th 2012

not too sure what you did but keep doing it hahaha

Hawks
February 16th 2012

Valerius reminds me of a little bit less negative version of Fade.

February 16th 2012

"yeah man idk what you did but you really turned around the way you wrote really fast, this is like miles and miles better than your first review

not too sure what you did but keep doing it hahaha"

Haha thanks man. My passion of sharing good music hasn't changed within me, rather my needed focus has been realized. I've a been a long-time fan of finding and sharing album rec's and have learned people are more likely to look into the album if [common sense] the review actually does a good job of describing the overall album as well as being an enjoyable read. "Chicken scratch" in turn does just the opposite as I've also learned lol

TheSpirit
February 16th 2012

yeah agree with what hyperion said, you're writing has improved by leaps and bounds... great work here

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

"not seeing it man

riffs are forgettable, solos are laughable, can barely hear bass drum

all around forgettable. kicks up a little dust in a couple of spots, thats it.

an album has to be good enough on first listen for me to even want to fuck with it again, and this isn't"

This album doesn't really focus on memorable riffs. Rather, it focuses on memorable atmosphere and feel; also being subjectively memorable, as I feel in this fashion.

When I said the "meat" was experienced but "partially used", I was pointing out what you sort of mentioned; she's not a virgin bombshell, but she'll get you off. Obviously as in most cases, which I'm sure you would attest, subjectivity reigns amongst opinion.

Damn now you have me talking like that Wizard know all guy from the matrix.

February 16th 2012

here we go with "atmosphere" again.

atmosphere is no substitute for songwriting, riffs, leads, drumming, vocals, production, or anything else really. in fact id say atmosphere is defined by those. i can name plenty of incantation albums or clones with the same "atmosphere" but better.

"atmosphere" does not trump. never has never will. its an illusion. bring the riffs, bring the drumming, bring the songwriting, bring the vocals, bring the leads, etc, and you will have atmosphere. not the other way around.

February 16th 2012

im not negative im honest. when an album is good i say its good. when its mediocre i say its mediocre. when its bad i say its bad. all according to my opinion and taste. take it with a grain of salt.

February 16th 2012

you know what i'm saying? atmosphere isn't some tangible quality you can inject into a record. i've never been in a band, but i can assume noone has sat around and said, "you know guys these riffs are cool, and that solo is awesome, but what we really need is *grasps the air with his hand, then opens his hand and blows the air*... some atmosphere".