Melted Toys
Washed and Dried

by King Tchudi USER (4 Reviews)
February 10th, 2012 | 4 replies | 1,356 views

Review Summary: A diverse and flourishing album that will keep even the casual listeners entertained.

Not often do I feel like I use my free time as wisely as I should; especially when I know for a fact that a majority of this time is wasted filtering out all of the albums I "conveniently" acquired from my computer that unfortunately, just did not click with my musical taste. Rarely will I second guess myself and wonder if I should give all of this hunting a break but then there's days where I'll scroll through my library and see that one album by that one artist or band and feel that justification for the total amount of time I've spent digging for the overlooked or unheard gems.

And that's where the San Francisco local dream pop band Melted Toys comes into play. From the very start, a string slide up into the main riff of the band's single "Come On" begins an album full of lush and love-like synths and melodies that keep a consistent and intimate auditory experience throughout the entire record. The vocals heard on opening track "Come On" seem almost shy and afraid and vulnerable in the mix - but that isn't to say the singing is at all weak. Upon further listening, the vocals become a more predominant part of the music, especially in "Preforms" and "Wild Waves". There's an undeviating balance which I feel truly helps keep this album appealing. The variety and approach to each song (while sometimes subtle) are all different. A spontaneous but pleasant sax solo mimics the vocal harmonies in the track "Wild Waves", while "Neuzone" offers a glimpse of the completely instrumental side of group. One of the more memorable parts of the record is during the track "Portals" where the chorus seamlessly takes the verse from a slow and upbeat sound to an overdriven shoegaze style while still remaining intact with the melancholy attitude of the song.

I can't help but be slightly critical about certain portions of the EP, though. There are moments (specifically during the middle) of the album that feel slightly weaker when compared to the opening track and bottom end of the record. It may be that I was spoiled by the intensely beautiful "Come On", or others not maintaining as much catchiness such as "Preforms" but still, there are no dull moments to be found.

Melted Toys certainly have left a good impression upon their first release. Washed & Dried is a soothing work of art that keeps me coming back for more. Between the rich variety of atmospheres, tranquil vocals, and simplistic yet catchy guitar melodies, there really isn't much room to complain. Although some songs didn't impress me quite as much as others, I am still very curious as to what will come next.

MaskAtTheMasquerade
February 10th 2012

okay now where did the album art go...

edit: whew- nvm!

DarthMann

cool review

MaskAtTheMasquerade
February 10th 2012

thank you sir! hope these guys get around to fixing their bandcamp so they can get some listens but if anyone is interested in checking it out legally you can find them on spotify

Funeralopolis
February 11th 2012

diverse but not good got it

Digging: Reks - R.E.K.S. (Rhythmatic Eternal King Supreme)