Departures
Green Turns To Red, Then Turns To Gold

by Dante Alighieri USER (85 Reviews)
February 10th, 2012 | 32 replies

Review Summary: "Just keep singing the loudest songs / Keep repeating those sad old songs"

Departures - Green Turns To Red, Then Turns To Gold

While never being the most explosive band, Green Turns To Red, Then Turns To Gold is a continuation of that methodically paced, slow burning tempo set that Departures seems to be carving their niche into. Two songs provided in a humble 7” that displays a handful of interesting ideas, a hint of maturation, and a dash of progression for good flavor. A fitting offering for a band whose debut album has landed them several higher profile tours within a year. Sliding into the same sonic battery of When Losing Everything…, opening song and A-side “Those Miles Meant Everything” feature a simplistic rhythm pattern repeated throughout the entire song and a slight guitar lead reminiscent to cousin band More Than Life, yet subtle nods to previous acts like Beloved. The mood of the band seems to be much more somber, nothing too destructive outside of a closing breakdown which is slowed down as well, and featuring almost none of some of the hurried up mentality of debut Escaping. James Mckean’s vocals have massively improved all throughout, reining in his delivery for a much more guttural and powerful display of frontmanship.

Green Turns To Red... ends with the equally methodic track “Fuck Living With Sadness”, that continues the simplistic rhythm of the previous track; this time with a much more obvious nod to modern English hardcore that seems to be popular in today’s market. Once again, Mckeans desperate vocals lead the charge, just barely hinged onto cohesion while the band responds to in kind. The song climaxes with a soft acoustic bit, before erupting into an outro/breakdown, as if leaving the EP with a sense of curiosity as to where Departures will continue to go from here. While the ideas of Green Turns To Red, Then Turns To Gold might be somewhat rehashed, it provides enough hints of progression and maturation that one can’t help but wonder just what these five young men have in store for us in the future. The Smiths of hardcore prove to us that some of the best hardcore isn’t always found through chaos, but is sometimes best served by putting emotions front and center and letting that do the destruction.

Misery Signals Absent LightAll Pigs Must Die Nothing Violates This Nature
Loma Prieta I.V.Expire Pendulum Swings
Aldebaran Embracing the Lightless DepthsTragedy Darker Days Ahead

cool

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

tbh, is more along the lines of a 3 but i'll give it the benefit

haters gonna hate. lovers gonna love.

a little disappointing

chambered69

hep kat likes this band automatic 2/5

February 10th 2012

not disappointing at all. just not what i was expecting.

Hawks

I definitely need this.

FearThyEvil
February 10th 2012

I have no money to spend on the itunes one so I need a link for this. I would pay but right now I can't be using my credit card.

fsupride
February 10th 2012

Pretty awesome, their LP was great.

ShadowRemains

good stuff

FearThyEvil
February 10th 2012

Man, this ruled hard. I absolutely love the vocalist.

Omaha
February 10th 2012

"While never being the most explosive band, Green Turns To Red, Then Turns To Gold is a continuation of that"

This makes it sound like Green Turns to Red, etc. is the band name.

"opening song and A-side “Those Miles Meant Everything” feature a simplistic rhythm pattern"

features*

"Once again, Mckeans desperate vocals"

Mckean's*

Pretty good review overall though. I really love what the vocalist is capable of now.

Digging: Thou - Heathen

Spluger

a hint of maturation

Read this wrong soooooo badly the first time.

I love this bands vocalist, and their first ep was pretty damn good. I should probably check this out.

Funeralopolis

vocals

Digging: Owen Pallett - In Conflict

AbyssalCreation

2044 Comments

Fuck Living With Sadness rules

Svedankae
February 11th 2012

i think ive got a new favorite band

Aids
February 11th 2012

nice review man. not too keen on hearing this, personally, as the LP was a solid 3.5 in my books. not enough to keep me interested in their future work.

Digging: Mitski - bury me at makeout creek

fulgrim
February 17th 2012

7" turned up today, pretty decent stuff.

Shukal
February 18th 2012

really like the vocals

WesMantooth
February 20th 2012

So good. Incredible vocalist.

February 22nd 2012

just came in today. sounds really good, probably bump my rating soon.