Ketzer
Satan's Boundaries Unchained

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
February 10th, 2012 | 42 replies

Review Summary: I mean just look at the album art and let that be your summary.

Thrash is often a genre that plays out as being hit or miss amongst the metal community. The repetitive formulas create a wall, preventing the listener from "thrashing" as hard as possible. This is due to the lack of creativity and strong fitting compositions. While these setbacks come with the territory, there are still artist doing their best to keep the Black Thrash genre alive. Utilizing the best proven formulas and adding a darkened theme to both the lyrics and actual music, Ketzer create a worthwhile listen showcasing the best the genre has to offer. Unfortunately, as noted above, the genre is still stagnate, and Ketzer have done nothing more than written a solid record. There is nothing new here.

Ketzer's style is one that is very aggressive and manifest’s a bold nature. They were playing once live at a venue and this stupid fan jumped on the stage and did what was a pretty cool sounding scream. The bassist just flat out pushed the guy off the stage with a force that can only be manifested by the German's. I already had love for Ketzer hearing how great their music is, but that display of force made me fall "in" love with them.

This 5 piece outfit is made up of what looks like to be some badass teenagers who just loves creating some f''cking badass music. The lead guitarist has a really hot right hand technique that blazes tremolos with perfection and can easily transfer into a ripping solo that doubles in tremolo speed instantaneously; such as the one found in "To Each Saint his Candle". The rhythm guitarist doesn't nothing more than hold riff rhythms while the lead advances, and occasionally handling an interlude to a tempo change.

The drums are very solid and are capable of anything the thrash/death genre has to offer but doesn’t give that needed push to make this a more enjoyable album. When you solid guitars and riffs, the drums have to be that factor that takes everything to the next level. Trust they are good but are lacking. For an example of drum potential from this album, check out "Inverted Cross"; which also happens to be my favorite track just behind "Crushing the Holy". The bass is audible but is not a highly of this album.

I have a particular fixation on the vocal approach used here. First off, the lyrics fit the feel of the riffs well. "Satan's Boundaries Unchained" comes off as concept album or a chronological story. It begins with Satan being unleashed from the fiery depths off hell and running pillage on the holy ones and those in opposition to him. In relation to the subject, I am neutral but the theme arouses interest into the contemplations, whether possible or fiction. The vocal style is in strong relation to Chuck Schuldiner’s high pitched, decipherable output. Vocalist "Infernal Destroyer" gives his best performance on "Crushing the Holy".

"Satan's Boundaries Unchained" should be noted as one of the best thrash releases of 2009, as well as giving Ketzer the steps needed to possibly create something far better. Stay tuned for their next release to come out mid-late this year.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

February 10th 2012

I dedicate this review to my friend and former band guitarist who passed away today. I love you Jordy.

I had a bit more to say but I was given the sad news right in the middle of writing this review. I got most of what I wanted to say out though. Enjoy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=swmPMOlClDI

^^Inverted Cross^^

good black/thrash

worth hearing if you like that

pos

sorry bout your loss

RIP

ill play Silent Hymn For The Dead for him

February 10th 2012

To see what I was talking about in the second paragraph on video where the bassist pushes this guy of the stage, see below at the beginning:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx14KrevPM0

Funeralopolis
February 10th 2012

Keep it up CaptainDooRight and you'll earn yourself the title of kvlt authority.

Digging: Owen Pallett - In Conflict

Thanks Valerius I really appreciate that :P

February 10th 2012

LOL..dude gets on the mic and screams

February 10th 2012

Yeah I was like wtf, his scream was actually pretty good tho

but that bassist lol, I couldn't if he was being playful or serious, but either way that was a solid push. you can even see the guy legs fly up in the air like he faced it or something

February 10th 2012

This sounds really awesome.

Thanks Funeral

@hawks - yeah I believe you would definitely dig this. I listened to like 50 german black thrash bands within the last couple of days and these guys are amongst the most solid. There surpringly isn't a lot decent black thrash bands out there.

February 10th 2012

this is pretty damn good man, yeah, solid and then some

riffs are strong. i like the vocals too.

February 10th 2012

Nah other than Destroyer 666, Hellacaust, and Megiddo I haven't found any good black thrash.

O_o

did you even listen to Hades Archer yet? or Nifelheim? or the other recs i gave?

February 10th 2012

What I've heard of Nifelheim wasn't that great. I haven't listened to Hades Archer.

February 10th 2012

"Nah other than Destroyer 666, Hellacaust, and Megiddo I haven't found any good black thrash"

There's definitely more than just those. Definately Hades Archer is solid. But Hades Archer is more black thrash death, while this is more str8 up black thrash.

If anyone has any really good, and I mean REALLY good pure black thrash bands, I'd love to hear your recs

Sarcofago - INRI

and if you don't mind demo quality material:

February 10th 2012

that adds to the kvlt factor, amirite?

album fucking slays dude

Urite

Sarcofago slays hard, I like "INRI" and "The Laws of Scourge".

I haven't heard Attomica yet so I'll check that for sure, thanks

The Brazilians and the Germans create some solid thrash.

February 10th 2012

Yeah I didn't even think of Sarcofago. They rule too.