Metallica
Master of Puppets

good

by crandynewman USER (38 Reviews)
February 8th, 2012 | 111 replies | 4,657 views

Release Date: 1986 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is one of the most overrated albums of all time! But it's still pretty damn good. Master of puppets, indeed.

Here's one for all you metalheads out there! I for one find Metallica about hit or miss throughout their career. For every In Justice for All there's a Kill Em All and for every Ride the Lightning there's a Load (not to mention St. Anger and it's GODAWFUL drum sounds. Where the drums recorded on a tin can?) They have about as many good albums as they do bad ones but Master of Puppets sits around the middle. How it is revered as a classic album I'll never know, it's only like the fourth best Metallica album! But if you can put that presumption aside, it's actually pretty good, you might find. It is here where Metallica really started to find their footing as a band. Where Kill Em All was a band that didn't know how to do anything, Ride the Lighting was a band that used their inexperience to their advantage, and Master of Puppets has a band that is finally starting to figure out what they're doing.

This is clearly shown with the first track Battery. I loved this song on Rock Band and I love it here too, it's just a great opening track and the acoustic intro contrasts with the shredding later on, perfectly. My problem comes in with the title track called Master of Puppets. It's too long; like way too long. And that's a common theme with the album, the songs are all wearing out their Welcome (Home Sanitarium...sorry). It's not that the songs are bad they just last way longer than they should, and get too repetitive. I think if you cut out all the repetition then you'd have an album damn worthy of being labeled as a classic, but there's too much fat on this album. Maybe the same is true for And Justice for All but at least that one has 9 songs to spread the length over instead of just 8.

Plus a couple of the songs are too fillery for my tastes. While the first half of the album is pretty good, it falters in the second half with duds like Leper Messiah and Damage Inc. Filler songs like this makes a long album feel even longer. And why isn't Orion the finally? It has all the making of an epic, instrumental closer but for some reason Damage Inc. is tacked onto the end instead. It's the little things like this which keep Master of Puppets from truly being the classic that everyone seems to think it is. If you cut out some repetitiveness and rearranged the songs to make it flow better, it'd be an easy 5, but as it sits here and now, it's a pretty middle of the road album.

The Beatles Let It BeThe Beatles The Beatles
Stooma Against the WorldThe Beatles Magical Mystery Tour
The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club BandSay Anything Anarchy, My Dear
4.4

February 8th 2012

the metalhead in me wanted to do this one

WeepingBanana
February 8th 2012

you contribute nothing to the betterment of human kind

stop fucking reviewing

February 8th 2012

"you contribute nothing to the betterment of human kind"

sorry you feel that way banana, do you have any constructive criticisms for me? i'd love to hear them if so

same goes for you darth

DieDead

February 8th 2012

You make some good points but I believe a little more formality is in need. This album is overrated but it also is like vrum, and it shreds like on master of puppet good song.

Digging: Sweet Smoke - Just A Poke

rock band is so 2009

February 8th 2012

"Try not to talk about Rock Band or guitar hero in a review... "I loved this song on Rock Band and I love it here too" That line is really unneeded."

thanks diedead i'll fix that!

"rock band is so 2009"

i still play rock band 3 with my mates sometimes, its good fun

retro

certainly big boy

your grammar is an issue

"and Master of Puppets has a band that is finally starting to figure out what they're doing."
Grammatically awkward

"with the shredding later on, perfectly." No comma

"Plus a couple of the songs are too fillery for my tastes." Fillery is not an acceptable word in a
review

"isn't Orion the finally?" *finale

"of being labeled as a classic," *labelled

"and rearranged the songs to make it flow better," To make it flow better is awkward, perhaps try:
'and rearranged the songs so the album as a whole flows better.'

Far too many comma splices that are unnecessary, make it difficult to read. The above quote is an
example.

"How it is revered as a classic album I'll never know, it's only like the fourth best Metallica
album!" Don't personify. It can be acceptable once, but not in excess of two times.
Also the second sentence there is not backed up whatsoever.

Most of your arguments need more explanation, fitting a whole 'this album sucks compared to what
people think' should take more than 3 small paragraphs to convince everyone that MoP does indeed
suck.

There are more but other people can tell you that.

February 8th 2012

"you're grammar is an issue"

come on darth how can i read your constructive criticisms?

February 8th 2012

you can't bro you have to read it.

what?

ipod is a fag

...what?

Aphrodisiac
February 8th 2012

bad review im sure you'll get better soon

February 8th 2012

thanks for the faith in me i guess, aphro

February 8th 2012

read the criticism now my man :]

February 8th 2012

ok better now. i think labeled is still right though, although the other stuff makes sense

correct spelling is labelled