Ulver
Bergtatt - Et eeventyr i 5 capitler

by Funeral USER (35 Reviews)
February 8th, 2012 | 31 replies | 2,523 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Of angels and black metal

Bergtatt is a monumental black metal album. Although the days of Garm’s screams may be gone at least we have this piece in remembrance. Ulver abandoning their black metal roots in 1998 moved onto to electronica, a choice controversial. However it may be best that Ulver made this move because deep down the band probably knew it would never be able to top their black metal game like they had on here.
The atmosphere on this album is incredible, the guitar shreds but does so in such a humble way that it never feels like showing off. This may be metal, but it is meticulous metal, no riff is out of place, every note exists for a reason and it is because of this precise planning that Bergtatt succeeds as one of the greatest masterpieces of our generation.

The production on this is rather clean, which is unusual for a black metal record but of course this isn’t your average black metal record now is it? The riffs are very hard hitting but at the same time show great constraint it almost feels as if there are several albums condensed among the riffs to form the beautiful soundscape found within Bergtatt.

Never have people been able to capture the experience of running through the dark woods as this album has. Many black metal albums out there definitely try to capture a sound alike a forest theme but none can succeed in the way this album does. This believability exists because the album flows perfectly, it feels very natural and the motions of the instruments all blend together to make a genuine experience.

Of course you couldn’t have a hardy discussion of Bergtatt without mentioning the vocals. Garm’s vocals are possibly some of the best around in this modern era. Surprisingly and thankfully the band doesn’t lose sight of the goal at hand and copout on producing a ‘Garm show’. His vocals are quite odd, although Norwegian, it does not matter because his voice is so beautiful, and emotion filled that without even understanding a word you feel like it is relating to you. His vocals consist of a almost choir sounding chant, that is haunting and fits the scenery perfectly. These angelic vocals also have no problem blending with the crazy black metal riffage. There is no conflict here, you would think these things are oranges and apples but let me tell you they are more like bong and green. Just as you are lulling into a trance at the chant like vocals you are taken aback by the sudden screams which Garm can also excellently pull of leaving one satisfying experience at the plate.

Overall this album is a masterpiece because without even uttering a word of English it can manage to captivate any audience with its slick riffs, grandiose soundscape and beautiful vocals. This album is very atypical and captures the scenery in a sense that the rough production and harsh approach most black metal bands can only dream of.

Destroyer Streethawk: A SeductionSugary Sweet Machines Tours of the Bleak
Macha See It Another WayDestroyer Your Blues
Buckshot Facelift Universal Goat TiltIceage You're Nothing
4.4

February 7th 2012

my 2nd favourite album. I really feel that even if you don't like black metal that you would still like this.

Digging: Miserylab - Void Of Life

Auschwitz

another redundant review.

February 7th 2012

well that certainly isn't very nice

fsharptrit0ne
February 7th 2012

hah just finished listening to this m/

February 7th 2012

ouch a neg? I thought this one was pretty decent.

February 7th 2012

man this is so good I wish they didn't go soft on us

TheSpirit
February 7th 2012

I don't know why people are bitching at you but for a second review, this is good. There are a few minor issues I have with it but nothing too big. I definitely feel that you love this album so in that sense, the review is very successful. Pos and keep it up dude

Digging: Emarosa - Versus

February 7th 2012

wow thanks man, I will keep at it

Auschwitz
February 7th 2012

"man this is so good I wish they didn't go soft on us"

Shadows of the Sun? Perdition City? those albums are fucking masterpieces.

Katechon
February 7th 2012

Electric Wizard is an odd rec but w/e.

Ire

abbey road is better

Hyperion1001

ire you are gay

Digging: Shed - Shot Selection

Ire

not as gay as u

If this was anything less than a 5 i'd neg you, jk

"my 2nd favourite album. I really feel that even if you don't like black metal that you would still like this"

What's your first?

Also thanks for putting an album I reviewed in your "recommended by reviewer" section. If I was the one who brought Frozen Shadows to your attention then that makes my dick hard.

Shuyin

awsome album

Digging: Integral - Sercosa

February 8th 2012

Why the fuck did this review get so negged? It is by far my best work.

ADemonicSloth
February 8th 2012

Unfortunately if you choose to slam a popular album on your first review with little to no objective opinion involved then you tend to not get taken seriously no matter the quality of your later work.

ValeriusTheImmortal

4) reviewing the beatles
5) making the 5th 5 star rating review of this album
6) all of the above

February 8th 2012

Well that isn't very professional at all. I thought we were all adults here guys, The Beatles cult strikes again.

ValeriusTheImmortal
February 8th 2012

try reviewing something that doesn't have a review