Wombbath
Internal Caustic Torments

by hyperi0n STAFF
January 31st, 2012 | 34 replies | 3,473 views

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Review Summary: what the hell is a wombbath?

To say the early 90's death metal scene had a lot of bands might just be the understatement of the century. Many of them were pretty popular and in the recent resurgence of the old school are getting plenty of well deserved recognition. On the other hand, just as many if not more were met with very little success and usually floundered and died after one or two records (and in many cases only a few EP's). Wombbath fall under the second category, but unlike many of the bands that died out because they weren't that good, Wombbath must have slipped under the radar for something else altogether (I've read that the band had label troubles after their first LP which resulted in an embarrassingly bad EP and their eventual demise but I do not know how much truth there is in this). Internal Caustic Torments, the only full length the band managed to release before their demise, is by far their best output and one of the better records to come out of the explosive Swedish scene of the early 90's.

While bands like Dismember and Entombed were reveling in the buzzsaw, punk influenced standard Swedish sound many associate so closely with the region today, Wombbath decided to form their sound on what is essentially the other end of the spectrum. Try to imagine if Autopsy had a pretty drunken one night stand in Stockholm with a couple of guys from Dismember and you get a pretty good picture of where Wombbath is coming from. They mostly swing between the realm of mid-tempo d-beats and slower doomy sections (this is in no way death/doom so don't flip your ***) with the occasional faster paced segments (see Conceal Interior Torments). The riffs are a constant barrage of murky, sludgy filth and are always ***ing stellar which is where Wombbath truly shine.

There is the occasional hint at a little bit of song experimentation here and there (Abandon is actually a pretty strange track that reminds me a bit of Gorement) and a few little keyboard sections are thrown in for a bit of cool atmosphere but other than that the approach is fairly standard although certainly not what comes right to mind when you think of Swedish death metal. The thick and grimy production coupled with the deep barking growls are just icing on the cake for the constant assault of riff after sick riff. All in all, if you like riffs, and doom, and d-beats, and thick, resounding production, and more riffs, this record is right up your alley. Internal Caustic Torments is certainly an overlooked gem from the glory days of Sweden's finest.

M. Geddes Gengras IshiLone Reality Testing
Plaid Reachy PrintsDead Congregation Promulgation of the Fall
Squarepusher Music For RobotsMassacre Back from Beyond

awesome review

January 31st 2012

sputnik's metal back-catalog sucks so for some unknown reason reason im helping flesh it out

pos neg dont care ENJOY

Digging: Autechre - Draft 7.30

pos

it's to see more metal on the front page

pos again

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

ok then neg

January 31st 2012

you do know its a sin to neg Selma Hyak's tits right?

^i know spelled her name wrong

January 31st 2012

i dont see her jugs on this page so im negging

January 31st 2012

you cant actually criticize them or you spontaneously combust

they are terrible jugs

January 31st 2012

"i dont see her jugs on this page so im negging"

heaven's only a click away

"you cant actually criticize them or you spontaneously combust"

I wish you know what would spontaneously combust right now

"they are terrible jugs"

clearly this guy is gay, a virgin, a chick, or into asses only, I can't really tell

January 31st 2012

everything about this screams awesome

January 31st 2012

hey crysis why haven't you checked out any of my reviews?

January 31st 2012

ya crysis you would dig hard

January 31st 2012

hey crysis why haven't you checked out any of my reviews?

gonna get this shit nao

i am gay

January 31st 2012

"idk ever since that 2.5 for Horrendous although that Carcariass album seems sick"

yeah i didn't mean to offend, but I had high hopes for that album but it just sounds like your typical rip off band, I shoulda voiced it better, but since then the album grew on me and I bumped my rating to a 3.5

check carcariass, you would like it judging by your rating list, check Canker too bro

January 31st 2012

will do but mediafire is fucking crawling right now so those may have to wait till later

January 31st 2012

if you mean it's hard to find, I can get the links for you if you really want them, or if you mean't you worried about getting snagged, i understand

at least check the youtube links so you can hear it

im about getting good music out there, my rev's may not be kill status but my ratings are trve and my recs are legit

thanks for the consideration deck hand

January 31st 2012

Nope, none of the above. My ISP is taking massive dump right now and I'm getting about 30kbps downloads from all sources.

January 31st 2012

mediafire was doing that for me earlier too i think it might be on the other end

government shutdown imminent