Anthony Raneri
New Cathedrals

good

by Davey Boy STAFF
January 30th, 2012 | 40 replies

Review Summary: Bayside frontman belatedly joins the cavalcade to release a solo record.

With the cavalcade of frontmen releasing solo records of late being too long to list, it is almost a matter of “when” – not “if” – these days as to whether certain vocalists will decide to take a break from their day job. This goes double for bands in the alternative and punk rock scene, a sound which New York quartet Bayside fall comfortably in the middle of. Released on his own label, ‘Gumshoe Records’, Bayside singer-guitarist Anthony Raneri belatedly joins the long list of solo artists with his 17 minute debut EP ‘New Cathedrals’.

As per usual with such a release, the majority of the tracks contained on them will usually have been written and stored over the years. Dating back to 2004, opener ‘Sandra Partial’ is an alt-country tune with a lovely melody that makes effective use of Raneri’s unique – and often divisive – voice. While obviously a more organic effort than any of Bayside’s LPs, ‘New Cathedrals’ far from simply treads the well-worn stripped-down acoustic boards which most similar releases traverse. In fact, it could be argued that it is predominantly a full-band effort, with the opener including piano from RX Bandits’ Steve Choi and drums courtesy of current My Chemical Romance sticks man Jarrod Alexander.

Choi’s keys return on the ska/reggae stylings of ‘Charleston’, Alexander brings in some bongos on closer ‘Please Don’t Leave’, while an electric guitar is front and center of the most Bayside sounding track ‘Lead, Follow, Fall’; a song which failed to make the cut of his band’s most recent LP ‘Killing Time’. Centerpiece ‘The Ballad of Bill The Saint’ fares very well in its folk-punk sound, with Raneri’s song-writing strength coming to the fore in conjunction with the most convincing vocal performance of this five track EP.

On ‘Charleston’, the only track fully written for ‘New Cathedrals’, Raneri sings “Wishing I was alone, so much better on my own”’. Well, I wouldn’t go that far Anthony, but you have managed to release a solid and well-produced solo debut here, whose welcome – if not ground-breaking – diversity does hint at the potential for future improvement. Considering his band’s motto of “Bayside Is A Cult”, ‘New Cathedrals’ at least has an instant loyal niche audience to serve... However, I’m unsure if it contains sufficient quality to attract sizable further numbers. While all five tracks contain likable foot-tapping melodies, the lack of anything significantly memorable makes ‘New Cathedrals’ a little too forgettable to demand subsequent listening. Put it this way: While the last thing anyone would want is a repeat of the circumstances which led to its existence, there definitely is no ‘Winter’ amongst this lot.

Recommended Tracks: Sandra Partial & The Ballad of Bill The Saint.

Emmure Eternal EnemiesThe Pretty Reckless Going to Hell
Broods BroodsThe Jezabels The Brink
Fanfarlo Let's Go ExtinctAbandon All Ships Malocchio
3.3
Aaron CONTRIBUTOR (3)
A collection of 5 better than average songs that fans of Bayside will probably enjoy, but won't love...

20857 Comments

For anyone unsure of the 'Winter' reference at the end of the review, it is a song dedicated to their old drummer who was killed in a van accident in 2005... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwXXjuKRmCI

Here's the opener/highlight from this EP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtfNYbZ8mEo

Sanders
January 30th 2012

Winter is such a good song, loved that acoustic album they did way back when. Great review as always!

vakuola
January 30th 2012

Good review! Listened to the first song and I didn't like it that much, but it may grow on me

Knott-

pretty much this

vakuola
January 30th 2012

Just listened to the whole thing, not bad. Sandra Partial is the weakest song imo.

NeutralThunder12

bayside is great.

20857 Comments

Thanks Sanders... & you're so right about 'Winter' & the acoustic album it came off. In fact, becaue of how good that was, I'm surprised it's taken so long for Raneri to go solo and/or another band acoustic release to see the light of day.

Thanks vakuola. Wow... The opener is a bit of a grower, but it's anything but the weakest imo.

Thought you may review this Adam... You lazy so & so.

Refuse away andcas. You'll like this.

That they are NT12, that they are.

Sexy.

20857 Comments

I hope you speak of my avatar.

Not as hot as mine.

20857 Comments

You're into Thierry... Oh, hang on a tic.

LOL, look at your number of comments!

January 30th 2012

Was a perfect number for the situation, don't you think?

Anyway this sounds interesting.

20857 Comments

Oh, you ruined it. I think I'll go find an old comment of yours to delete.

I can see you liking this to some extent, but it's not gonna change music as we know it.

Knott-
January 30th 2012

I would've reviewed this, Davey, but it just seemed so... inconsequential. It's not bad, but i had hoped that a Raneri EP would be something to write home about. It wasn't, and ultimately, my review would have just said "pretty good like".

January 30th 2012

Only just started to get into Bayside in the past year so this didn't seem essential for me to hear

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

20857 Comments

DaveyBoy: Stretching 3 words into 4 paragraphs since 2008.

Definitely not essential SS. The Bayside back-catalogue is better.

January 30th 2012

Yeah I liked their latest so when I am in the mood I'll check out their older stuff

Nice review btw

Ta.

I prefer their self-titled the best, but if you get 4 Bayside fans in a room, they may well answer 4 different albums to which is their fave.

Vyndax