Muse
Origin of Symmetry

by C I N A E D U S USER (21 Reviews)
January 29th, 2012 | 66 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 'You know I don't want you and I never did. I don't want you and I never will.' My feelings towards the Resistance. Bellamy is a prophet.

It is said, in ancient music folklore, that Matthew Bellamy is perhaps the most obnoxious musician to walk on our hallowed planet since James Hetfield. People used to murmur that as Muse’s fan-base extended, so did Bellamy’s head. Whispers turned into casual conversation, as the truth behind these tales became superficially clear with the ill-fated release of ‘The Resistance.’ Nevertheless, back in 2001, at the time of Origin of Symmetry’s release, these declarations were merely rumours, and frankly, after those who characterized Muse as ‘Radiohead wananbees,’ listened to Origin of Symmetry, they were left well and truly dumbstruck.

The raw persona Muse adopted in this record creates an aura of energy surrounding every track on the album. With just a single listen, it becomes blatantly coherent that when writing this record, Muse were restless and raring to go. This was before Bellamy decided to subliminally imply that everyone should be wearing tin-foil hats to deter government satellites that can read our minds in the track ‘Exo-Politics’.

This was before Muse veered right of the road.

This is the real Muse.

When we think of enthusiasm, many things instantly leap to our mind. http://www.iwatchstuff.com/images/2006/03/jack-black-diary.jpg may be one of them. This album, to those that enjoy it, would definitely be a contender. It was this vigour that was the driving force behind everything Muse once were – something they would lose in years to come. Whether it be the eerie distorted solo from ‘Citizen Erased,’ or the devastating riff from ‘Plug in Baby,’ in every corner of this album there is an essence of oomph. The piano, a common inclusion, is generally very loud and in your face. Bellamy plays the keys like a master at work, and it is this characteristic that really defined this album. In ‘Space Dementia’ and the chorus of ‘Darkshines,’ his dynamic strokes of the piano reveal themselves better than ever.

The overall atmosphere of this record comes off exactly the way Muse sought after. With the frequently raging synth, the dire tone of Bellamy’s falsetto vocals –on display in pretty much every track- and the fuzzily distorted bass create an ambient sensation of floating in outer space. However, the subtle callousness that works its way through the record makes the journey into the unknown much more adventurous. The outstanding album closer, ‘Megalomania,’ starts off soothingly, with an organ playing repeated arpeggios, and Dom’s typical simple yet fulfilling drum beat. However the song suddenly explodes as the chorus quickly changes the entire dynamic of the track. Muse’s knack for being unpredictable works much to their advantage this time around.

Musicianship has played such a vital part in all of the previous decades greatest albums. Although a seemingly messy album with all that is going on, ‘Origin of Symmetry,’ is actually a musically sound record that arrests the listener’s attention within seconds. The track placing is well implemented; the album flows efficiently and effectively. Bellamy’s vocals are just seamless for everything that Muse attempts to achieve with this album, the desperation that echoes from his voice when he sings throughout the album - especially apparent in the song 'Hyper Music'- is incredibly effective.

’Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Your golden skies feed my role
In this forgotten space race under my control
Who's returned from the dead?
Who remains?’

This is vocalised with such conviction it is hard not to rewind the record and play Hyper Music just that one more time.

There is no denying it, Muse have lost their mojo. ‘The Resistance,’ is everything we hoped Muse wouldn't come to be. Luckily, we have this enlightening album which lives up to and exceeds nearly all of the potential Bellamy and his troops had.

’ crucifie mes ennemis quand je suis fatigué de vivre.’

This is definitely and essential album.

Dinosaur Jr. BugMuse The 2nd Law
Wongraven FjelltronenLumsk Troll
John Williams Harry Potter and the Philosopher's StoneJeremy Soule The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Soundtrack

January 29th 2012

its already got enough reviews, but i dont so yeah this album rules

Piglet
January 29th 2012

It's a really cool album, might bump my rating
looks like a nice review, will read

Titan50

I miss Muse

so do i
dammit bellamy why did you go crazy
and yeah piglet you should

January 29th 2012

There is a lot of hyperbole here, as well as a few oxymorons.

Digging: Falls of Rauros - The Light That Dwells in Rotten Wood

yeah i do that a lot

January 29th 2012

i find it more interesting for everyone to exaggerate than to just analyse the music

January 29th 2012

It might be nice to show us what you can really do rather than just exaggerate all the time.

how do you mean

NeutralThunder12
January 29th 2012

outstanding review. i find this album to be pretty nice but its overrated. Prolly their best though. posd

January 29th 2012

Perhaps write a serious review?

wabbit
January 29th 2012

that album art looks like a shittier version of the OKC era concept art.

also

fuck muse

thanks neutral

and yeah acanthus i know what you mean but this is different cos its a 5?
if i was reviewing per say, a 3 album or something it would be a bit more serious.
but I know what you mean

and lol rabbit have you even heard this album

January 29th 2012

I still need to listen to older Muse, I enjoyed BHAR a ton.

January 29th 2012

BHAR is hated for some reason, I love map, invincible and hoodoo.

If you like that you'll definintley like this.

January 29th 2012

It was my first Muse album, really dig it.

January 29th 2012

review is alright i guess. careful about using gay as a synonym for bad; also lots of unnecessary exaggerations.

their best album is absolution, imo, but this is still great

Digging: Alt-J - This Is All Yours

Omaha
January 29th 2012

" ‘Blackwater Park’ had a very tight group of instrumentalists which enabled the album to gain the title as one of the best Progressive Death Metal albums ever." This sentence and the one before it are pretty unnecessary, or should be altered to flow into the next part better.

Overall very good review though. I love this album

January 29th 2012

lol well seeing as its being repeatedly bought up ill cut some of the exaggerations.

and i prefer this, but only just. Absolution has heaps of awesome tracks though

January 29th 2012

but im not cutting the intro because that is not an exaggeration whatsoever