The Lillingtons
Death by Television

by Mary Paultese USER (35 Reviews)
January 29th, 2012 | 21 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Punk for nerds, about nerdy things.

The artwork for The Lillingtons' Death By Television looks more like the cover of an EC science fiction comic than it does a punk rock album. However, the art is a perfect representation of the album's sound. Surely full of "thrills" and "terror," and with numerous references to fictional characters drawn from sci-fi comic books, novels, and movies (Apeman, Saucermen, etc.), Death By Television is pure fun from start to finish.

Due to the lyrical themes and catchy and simplistic nature of the music on Death By Television, the Misfits come to mind as an obvious influence of The Lillingtons’ sound. Certain lines sound as if they could have come straight out of Danzig’s notebook, such as, “They’ll chop you into pieces and put you in a sack,” and there is even a song about Halloween. However, unlike the Misfits’ case, there is an overlying air of comedy to the horror stories which adds to the novelty of the album in a great way.

Repetitive, catchy, and short songs make the album an easy listen, and the all too familiar power chord and upbeat vocal combination is well in place. You’re the Only One, a song that strays a bit from the album’s sci-fi theme, is everything that a punk sing-along should be: heartfelt, energetic, and catchy enough to be remembered after one listen. Another highlight of the album, I Need Some Brain Damage, is a self-depreciative, “f**k work” anthem for the lazy and tired, and the opening lines, “Don’t wanna wake up at 6:15, don’t wanna go to work at the Dairy Queen” will instantly make your day a little less shitty.

While there is nothing particularly “wrong” with the album, due to its simple and repetitive nature, it does tend to lose some of its novelty after repeated listens. However, the sci-fi lyrics put a nice twist on otherwise traditional punk songs, and still manage to make the album more interesting than most similar efforts. The Lillingtons are a perfect example of a band who excel at making music because they do not take themselves too seriously, and they are not trying to fit a mold; therefore, Death By Television should be regarded as an essential modern punk album, and it will remain as such until a war of the worlds ends life and punk rock as we know it.

Saves the Day Can't Slow DownHouse Boat 21st Century Breakroom
Joie de Vivre We're All Better Than ThisState Lines State Lines
Light Black Ex WivesDaytrader Twelve Years

January 29th 2012

i've really been digging this lately and it didn't have a review so i figured i'd write one. also wanted to because it's a bit different from the stuff that i usually review.

January 29th 2012

Nice review I really need to get this

Digging: Cayetana - Nervous Like Me

cool album

Digging: The Brave Little Abacus - Masked Dancers

ConsiderPhlebas
January 29th 2012

I saw the apeman, he's having a bad day, because neil armstrong, took his banana away. Love this album.

iFghtffyrdmns
January 29th 2012

By taking one look at the cover of The Lillingtons’ Death By Television, one can almost surely predict what he is about to listen to.

i hear their next record is gonna be called NO GURLZ ALLOWED

January 29th 2012

hahaha that's probably my least favorite grammar technicality. saying "he or she" sounds clumsy AND I DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING IT.

January 29th 2012

yeah there should be a word for "he or she" seriously there needs to be a word for that

iFghtffyrdmns
January 29th 2012

...one can almost surely predict what they are about to listen to.

fixed.
To be completely honest the sentence is already a little awkward and unnecessary (basically the whole first paragraph is) but you can definitely use "they" and avoid the whole he/she thing.

January 29th 2012

i agree, i should rework it. BUT, you can't use they as it doesn't agree with "one." i think.

OR you can use "hshee"

After the first time I listened to this I immediately listened to it about 20 times in a row. Highest quality pop punk

hshee works

bungy i stole this album from one of your lists. great decision.

January 29th 2012

Omg I'm stoked my lists are somewhat noticed

January 29th 2012

changed it a bit. whatever

thanks for the pos whoever you are

May 21st 2012

Don't wanna wake up at 6:15
Don't wanna go to work at the Dairy Queen

May 21st 2012

There's only one thing that I really need:
I need some brain damage and I need it fast

May 29th 2012

this is the best pop-punk album I've heard in months

May 29th 2012

like the similar artists on the band's page here?

May 29th 2012

ok cool thanks I've heard of all those bands but haven't listened to much, thanks

Kman418