Perfume Genius
Put Your Back N 2 It

good

by Jonny Hunter CONTRIBUTOR (103 Reviews)
January 29th, 2012 | 20 replies | 5,053 views

Review Summary: The difficult second album was too much. Serviceable, but severely lacking inspiration or ambition.

There must be something morally wrong with the artistic world when we line up, in the internet sense of the word, for the next emotionally distraught musician. Mostly in an attempt to preempt the next Age of Adz or Electro-Shock Blues, it has to be said, but it's true that when an artist has had some horrible experiences we can hope for a good album that draws inspiration from them. Perfume Genius, the recording name of one Mike Hadreas, promised just this; delivering a heartfelt, if a little naive and hamfisted debut back in 2010. Fast forward to the present and Put Your Back N 2 It addresses these issues, though something has been forgotten in the process.

Simply put, Perfume Genius has lost his way. He even admitted this, albeit indirectly, with his confession that this album will take a less personal tone, instead choosing to focus on general hardships. The shift in focus is immediately obvious: Hadreas crones his way through plenty of piano/acoustic ballads, but oftentimes they fall far short of the mark. The recurring line in Dirge of "Do your weeping now" is a prime example, it lacks the direction and context to actually mean much. In fact a large chunk of the album remains slightly baffling; it's evident that emotion is there but it fails to connect.

For the most part, this can be put down to a lack of any unique style. Put Your Back N 2 It relies too heavily on bedroom-project indie archetypes: it's all a little bit cutesy and predictable, with lyrical subject matter varying on the slim scale between isolation and romantic interests. Musically, too, there is little variation. Liberal use of piano, synths and guitar are to be expected and they rarely develop beyond slow chord progressions. Some flair is shown, however, in the casual swagger of Take Me Home and the haze of Awol Marine, but in the end these only serve to highlight just how dull the rest of the LP can get.

It's seems, then, that Perfume Genius is spent. In the absence of his personal grief, his music fails to be interesting and with a run time of under 25 minutes, this release bears all the signs of being rushed. I'm sure the title, Put Your Back N 2 It, was supposed to be outwardly directed, but to me it symbolises the fact that for Hadreas this record had to be forced out. On listening to the album it certainly appears as much.

Throwing Snow MosaicSOHN Tremors
A Winged Victory for the Sullen Atomos VIIPlinth (UK) Music For Smalls Lighthouse
The Correspondents Puppet Loosely StrungSon Lux Alternate Worlds
Jeremy Fisette (4)
drive on, my special one....

Learning

and things and stuff.

clercqie
January 29th 2012

No way man, this is definitely at least on par with his debut

Digging: Shackleton - Deliverance Series No. 1

ya way

Lucid
January 29th 2012

This isn't out yet and there isn't a stream available. This review will be deleted unfortunately.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

:'(

Yotimi
January 29th 2012

hoping this is better than you say. Love his debut more than I probably should

January 30th 2012

Meh, I think it's justified in the light that, despite listening to this album solid for two days in order to write this review, I have no drive at all to go back to any song on it. It's just forgettable.

Shrapnel94
February 27th 2012

Just listened to this on a whim and really digging it. After reading into it some more it started getting really haunting and almost disturbing, I feel like it's gonna stick and/or grow

March 2nd 2012

Gotta disagree with this review. This is a brilliant album that deals with with a lot of important issues this guy's been through. It's harrowing and beautiful at the same time

March 2nd 2012

yeah, it took a few listens for me to find a balance on this but i quite like it

judging from the title i thought it was hip-hop though. WTF

fat man scoop styleeee

March 2nd 2012

reminds me of The Antlers a lot though, which is weird because I can't fucking stand Hospice

March 2nd 2012

Yea I see where you're coming from Balc... I do love hospice though.

This is gonna be sending me to sleep tonight I know that much. It's a real grower too

AliW1993
March 9th 2012

Gave this another listen... still not seeing the grand appeal, this just really average to me.

I thought it sounded like The Antlers too.

Aids
May 13th 2012

wait, The Antlers you say? I'm all over it.

May 14th 2012

The Antlers is the old man from family guy, this is WAY better.

Yotimi
May 14th 2012

Youth Lagoon is the old man from family guy

jsaf7
February 22nd 2014

man, the more i listen to this album, the more i absolutely love it. Might actually bump this up to a 4.5 or even a 5 if it keeps growing on me like it is now..

Green Baron