Banner Pilot
Heart Beats Pacific

by MCSalter USER (1 Reviews)
January 30th, 2012 | 17 replies | 3,654 views

Review Summary: It's an album, and it's by Banner Pilot. Which means it's damn good.

‘If you’re happy then why change?’

A lyric taken from Banner Pilot’s previous album "Collapser", the band seem to have taken it to heart; "Heart Beats Pacific" is everything you have come to expect from this Minnesota quartet. It’s full of gritty pop punk ditties with poetic lyricism weaved over simplistic yet catchy riffs. There’s no being complicated and technical for the sake of being complicated and technical; this is down-to-earth, straight-to-the-point punk, the kind that Banner Pilot have nigh on perfected.

The most obvious place to start with Banner Pilot is always the lyrics, an aspect that sets the group apart from many of their contemporaries. Thematically we are on familiar ground, with topics including drinking and driving (not at the same time though, don’t you worry). Nature also rears its head on several occasions; the climax of "Alchemy" is poignantly delivered: ‘I know when you’re living under sheets of snow it can look like the world’s gone black/ But remember that the sun comes back/ At least they say it does’.

It would be sweeping and generalising to say that Banner Pilot have simply remade and released 'Collapser' under a different name, so let’s not say that. For starters, the concluding track "Division Street" has a running time of over 5 minutes. Yes, it’s a Banner Pilot song! And it’s over 5 minutes long! Outrageous. Admittedly it could be argued that it overstays its welcome somewhat, but the chorus is pure emotional gold. "Isolani" opens with a very untypical Banner Pilot riff, and is one of the highlights of the album. The choruses are unsurprisingly memorable throughout, with the catchiest chorus coming within the opening 30 seconds of the opening track. In fact, "Alchemy" is such a barnstorming opener that it somewhat overshadows the succeeding "Forty Degrees" and "Red Line". But the instant classic "Spanish Reds" follows and sets up a run of tracks that are amongst the best that the band have written. There is more variation to be found in the vocal delivery with Nick Johnson adopting a lower pitch at times, most prominently in the aforementioned "Spanish Reds".

But the vocals can also be quibbled upon. I never thought I’d find overproduction to be fault in a Banner Pilot album, and yet here we are; the album is somewhat overproduced. The band has been endearing in the past for playing unabashedly gruff and rough yet catchy pop punk, so it’s disappointing to find "Heart Beats Pacific" suffering from vocals that at times are too slick, too sickly. It doesn’t ruin the listening experience, not by a long way, but it does prevent some songs from reaching their full potential.

Importantly though, it doesn’t stop "Heart Beats Pacific" from being one of the best albums of 2011. If you’ve heard Banner Pilot before, then you know what to expect regarding the sound and its quality. If you haven’t heard Banner Pilot before, then what are you waiting for?

Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (4.5)
Crack open a beer, put on your best winter coat, and grow out your beard, it's time to jam some Bann...

MCSalter
January 29th 2012

My first, and potentially last, review. Yayyy. Great album.

ShadowRemains

20223 Comments

spanish reds is terrific

m/

sixthgoldenticket
January 29th 2012

best banner pilot imo. such and addictive record.

BroFro
January 29th 2012

I've been meaning to listen to this, I think I will do so now. Really great review, why make it your last? Stay a while why dontcha

Digging: Planes Mistaken For Stars - Self-Titled

sixthgoldenticket
January 29th 2012

now the real question is, do banner pilot love red wine and hate winter more than the menzingers love
waitresses and sharing cigarettes?

bungy
January 29th 2012

Nice dude, awesome band. This better not be your last review you should stay

Blackbelt54
January 29th 2012

album rules, there's finally a review

Satellite

20675 Comments

how the fuck did this not have a review already?

Digging: Dikembe - Mediumship

Ignimbrite
January 30th 2012

awesome album, good review.

January 30th 2012

Beat me to it, Been digging this since it came out.

MCSalter
January 30th 2012

Woah, thanks very much guys. This album gets better every time I listen to it, although it hasn't impacted on me as much as Collapser yet. But we'll see!

January 30th 2012

I think collapser is overall better, but Heart Beats Pacific has a couple tunes (Alchemy, Spanish Reds) that are better than anything off Collapser.

January 30th 2012

Excellent first review, keep writing.

April 11th 2012

Shreds for days

Hospital
December 31st 2012

2005 Comments

looooove this

September 7th 2013

My heart does beat pacific