Fall Out Boy
From Under the Cork Tree

by Ian USER (107 Reviews)
January 15th, 2006 | 579 replies | 48,669 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Fall Out Boy might turn some off people because they would have themselves believe that they’re just another pop-punk band. That is true, but the fact that more than half of these songs could be incredibly successful singles is something that not many pop-punk bands are able to accomplish. I probably would never have listened to From Under The Cork Tree if my mom hadn’t wanted it for Christmas, which I went and bought it for her. After listening to it for a while, I was actually fairly impressed. While Fall Out Boy brings nothing new musically to the table, this album is still very catchy, and you can have a fun time listening to it. Which is evident in the song titles and lyrics. A woman I know in my advanced drama class once described Fall out Boy’s music “as an orgasm for the ears". Some will think that she’s crazy; however, the more I would listen to this, the more I liked it, and appreciated it for its face value.

The opening track Our Lawyer Made Us Change the Name of this Song So We Wouldn’t Get Sued (originally titled My name is David Ruffin and These Are the Temptations) shows the fun nature that is Fall Out Boy. The lyrics “Brothers and sisters put this record down. Take my advice, ‘cause we are bad news. We will leave you high, and dry; it’s not worth hearing, you’ll lose" open up the beginning of the song, which also goes on to make fun of the band being mislabeled as emo. [i]“It’s just past 8:00 and I’m feeling young, and restless. The ribbon on my wrist says: “Do not open before Christmas". The music is a prime example of what to expect of the album; double guitar power chords that lock in tightly with the drums, in which both assist in powering Patrick’s singing. If you love either of the singles Sugar, We’re Goin Down, or Dance, Dance, then you will more than likely become hooked by the rest of the album upon second listen. Upon first listen to the album, most songs might sound exactly the same to some, causing them to become turned off, and not give it a second chance. If a person does have this feeling upon first listen they should give it a chance to grow on them, this same thing happened to me, and now I believe half of these songs could be successful singles. If you are a bass player, and you appreciate nice grooves, there are a couple, but not too many. The fact that the guitars, and drums show skill is nice, but sadly they don’t ever really use that skill to their advantage.

My personal favorites of the album are Of All The Gin Joints In All The World, A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More “Touch Me", and Sophomore Slump, or Comeback of the Year. Each song would be a great pick as singles as they are each incredibly catchy. Of All The Gin Joints In All The World has a nice build up towards the end before repeating the long chorus; sometimes while listening to it the song will feel like a whole chorus. It’s a tad short, coming in a t 3:02, but accomplishes what it’s meant to do. A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More “Touch Me" has a melodic guitar opening that many will want to listen to multiple times before going into a relaxed verse, which soon becomes a wonderful chorus that ends with the guitar part that opened the song. This song is actually even short shorter coming in a t only 2:48, but it is certainly more memorable than many of the other songs on the album. Sophomore Slump, or Comeback of the Year is the anthem of From Under the Cork Tree. Patrick quietly starts the song off talking with some palm-muted guitar behind him. “Are we growing up, or just going down? It’s just a matter of time until we’re all found out. Take our tears; put ‘em on ice, cause I swear I’d burn this city down to show you the lights." After that the song takes a huge, exciting jump. The guitars, and bass bounce along with Patrick’s eloquent singing. Two thirds in the music goes back to palm muted guitar for a bit with Patrick coming in, “The best part of believe is the lie. I hope you sing along, and you steal a line. I need to keep you like this in my mind." Sophomore Slump, or Comeback of the Year is simply the greatest song on the record.

This is an impressive album when it comes to the genre of pop punk. Personally, I like only a handful of bands belonging to the genre, but there are still quite a few that I like. Fall Out Boy is one of them. Singer Patrick Stump is one of the big reasons that the album won’t fade out of one’s mind so quickly; for me though, it never gets old. There are even some nice guest spots from the likes of Chad Gilbert (backup vocals on I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me). If you’re someone who has to have technicality in your music, no matter what genre, you will hate this album. If you’re someone who is looking for an up-beat, and catchy record to listen to every once in a while, this album will be very attractive to you. However, eventually some songs will start to wear on the listener. The timing of the album is the pitiful standard of most records these days, coming in at forty-three minutes long. This is in fact an excellent record, and after I have listened to this for a while, I am convinced that Fall Out Boy won’t be going to go away any time soon.

Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Papa Roach Old Friends from Young YearsLinkin Park Living Things
Krizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'Madina Lake From Them, Through Us, To You
user ratings (1903)
3.2
good

mx
January 15th 2006

Good thing you saved this Kripes

January 15th 2006

Yeah, I lost my Disturbed, and Motley Crue revies though, and I saved two others besides this. I'm still missing one other one, but I can't remember what it was.

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

Whoa, that really sucks. This is still here though, that's good...

pulseczar
January 15th 2006

Good review, I think FOB is one of the better pop punk bands, to be honest.
Oh, could you comment and vote on my Drop Nineteens review again, pwetty pwease? :D

You got it. ;)

Chilly-Bean-Bop
January 15th 2006

Nice review, I like the way you think. I will always hate this band, though.
[quote="review"]I probably would never have listened to From Under The Cork Tree if my mom hadn’t wanted it for Christmas, which I went and bought it for her.[/quote]
What the fuck? Haha.

January 15th 2006

Much (hearts) Chillbee, and other people who have responded.

January 15th 2006

Thanks, I actually noticed that a while ago, but I was feeling lazy.
[quote=Spat Out Plath](Sorry, I find problems in everything.)[/quote]
:p It's okay, that's a good thing.This Message Edited On 01.15.06

Shaun of the Dead
January 16th 2006

Good review ian. i still dont like them tho. they aer boring and whiney

and they arent emo. they just suck.This Message Edited On 01.17.06

January 16th 2006

Boring and whiny? How very dare you Shaun! :mad:

You're entitled to your opinion I guess.

I still think this is very good. Amazing.This Message Edited On 01.16.06

tjkdp44
January 20th 2006

Can't stand the signers voice. The bassist is cool though.

January 20th 2006

How is the bassist cool. :confused:

RuNNing/on/HiGh
February 24th 2006

kripes i like how you didnt just write off Fall Out Boy for being in the punk pop genre, as i'm sure many other people would have done. Good review, you have convinced me to go out and get this album!This Message Edited On 02.24.06

February 24th 2006

[quote=ruNNing/on/HiGh]kripes i like how you didnt just write off Fall Out Boy for being in the punk pop genre, as i'm sure many other people would have done. Good review, you have convinced me to go out and get this album![/quote]Awesome, I have now accomplished the goal of being a reviewer by selling an album!

RuNNing/on/HiGh
February 25th 2006

hehe, got the album, have only listened to it for a day or so, but at first impressions, this is an awsome album. I recommend this album to people with an open mind about music

Electric City
February 25th 2006

To be honest, I find this album flat average. All songs are the same, save for Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying. But other than that, the album doesn't overtly excite me.This Message Edited On 02.25.06

Digging: Alvvays - Alvvays

hits of sunshine
February 26th 2006

WE'RE GOIN' DOWN TUU IN A LULEELURAH!

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

Is that..even a song on the album?

Pyramidman

good review kripes

but how can u ask how is the bassist cool, i mean, not to neg the rest of the band, but pete wentz is honestly the leader of fall out boy, he is what makes them who they are

NOTINTHEFACE
February 27th 2006

IMO this is the most overrated pop band in existence. All the teenyboppers and 12-year-olds are crazy for them where I live and it just gets annoying. Personally, nothing from this album has managed to wow me, its just okay. Not bad, but most certainly not amazing.