Foxy Shazam
The Church of Rock and Roll

by Eli EMERITUS
January 24th, 2012 | 71 replies

Review Summary: "The Church of Rock and Roll" is yet another shockingly enjoyable record from a band whose evolution has been as perplexing as it is brilliant.

On the few occasions I talk with my mother about her music-classic rock with intermittent “prog” - I notice her absolute admiration of the bands in question; a fervent enjoyment and wide-eyed wonderment not often seen in today’s youth. She speaks of moments that captivate and entrance, while I pick apart pieces in an almost methodical fashion. It’s hard to escape doing so when music nowadays is so easy to come by, and effectively less exciting than it was when genres like rock were still in their infancy. But when listening to Foxy Shazam, it’s easy to feel that very same excitement and unbridled enjoyment, as the band is the epitome of how modern rock can be relevant, even at its most ridiculous.

Foxy Shazam started as something decidedly different, but since their post-hardcore days the band has evolved into an institution much more akin to groups such as Queen and Led Zepplin, which is especially evident on their latest release, The Church of Rock and Roll. The name is fitting, really, as the album stands as worship to the genre; its past and present are gloriously represented the only way the band knows how. Classic anthemic rock pieces that many music lovers know by heart can be felt in many of the band’s songs, but Foxy Shazam tend to add their own flavor and personality. Derivative as it all may sound the end result is surprisingly fresh, with the mixture of classic and modern rock feeling wholly unique. Sure Eric Nally still idolizes the late Freddie Mercury to a preposterous degree, but it’s his vocal delivery that gives The Church of Rock and Roll the very character that oozes from every pore. Soft and loud, high and low, Nally’s performance is something to be greatly admired, and his willingness to play around with all sorts of styles makes for some startlingly entertaining moments.

Yet the crux of The Church of Rock and Roll comes in the form of the delightfully varied track list. Throughout the album’s eleven tracks, poppy songs are sandwiched between hard-rock tunes and heartfelt power ballads, with the album always throwing out surprises. Foxy Shazam rarely rest on their laurels with moodier tunes like “The Temple” mixing up the generally upbeat tone of the record. But it’s the bigger, more grandiose pieces that captivate more than the rest. With his typical flamboyant gravitas, Nally sings profoundly in the stadium style “Last Chance at Love” and “Freedom,” which are even more impressive with the aid of some skilled instrumental work. Groovy guitar, catchy percussion, and blaring horns give each piece a great musical back bone that makes the solid songwriting feel even more meaty. Not to be too outdone, however, are “The Streets” and “Wasted Feelings,” infectious songs which add trumpet and soul to the mix. There’s just so much going on within the glitzy confines of The Church of Rock and Roll that there is just about something for everyone.

The Church of Rock and Roll is yet another shockingly enjoyable record from a band whose evolution has been as perplexing as it is brilliant. This is exactly what a modern rock record should be: expressive, energetic, and above all else, entertaining.

Antemasque AntemasqueGrouper Ruins
Zeppelin14 (3.5)
"Your music sucks including us, it's time we cleared our name."...

Sam McPherson (3.5)
This album marks a shift in gears for Foxy, from the more manic energy of their past albums to somet...

Xenophanes
January 24th 2012

Yes a four because I crazy enjoy this band

GnarlyShillelagh
January 24th 2012

hey i have to write about xenophanes tonight for an essay due tomorrow what can you teach me about the dude's philosophy

GnarlyShillelagh

good review btw pos'd

Xenophanes
January 24th 2012

He was a critic of Greek theology and oddly enough, Greek sports. That, and he made bold claims that he would never be forgot or something. All in all one of the cooler historical figures of Greece.

clercqie
January 24th 2012

Never heard of these guys before, but after hearing this I've become an instant fan.

Fucking love this record!!

theacademy
January 24th 2012

these guys r like electric six except worse

Athom

Really? People enjoy this shit? Wow. smh

taxidermist
January 24th 2012

Never heard of these guys before

Really? I thought these guys had a pretty big following.

Digging: Whirr/Nothing - Split

Tyrael

20946 Comments

great review Eli

I'm kinda underwhelmed by this but I'll listen to it again some other time

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

Craggles
January 24th 2012

Alright this is WQ... This is...... Alright this is WQRX, that was a new hit by... Really?!

clercqie

^ I thought I had a bad mp3 at first :p

greg84
January 24th 2012

The album is quite inconsistent. I really enjoy the first 5 tracks and The Temple. The rest is quite disappointing. Their self-titled was much better.

Digging: Wildbirds & Peacedrums - Rhythm

January 24th 2012

I really can't get into this at all.

Irving
January 24th 2012

Solid review Xeno, but I have to mention that that summary confuses me a little - here:

""The Church of Rock and Roll" is yet another shockingly enjoyable record from a band whose evolution..."

Seems a bit contradictory to me...if this has happened before, then why is it so "shocking"?. I dunno, just me two cents mate.

Digging: Portishead - Dummy

January 24th 2012

Is it me or does the song 'I like it' remind anyone of Kanye West - Gold Digger? 'She takes my moneyyyy'

Digging: From Indian Lakes - Able Bodies

P.S. Everyone should check out the video for Holy Touch on YouTube, so funny

Horsehammer
January 24th 2012

i remember hearing this once before, cant remember when... anywho, pos'd

January 24th 2012

Horse - in the last couple of days? That's how long it's been out lol

Zorak
January 24th 2012

excellent review. pos'd. I loved the s/t so I will most likely love this as well. Eric Nally is one of the best vocal performers of this age.

FruityCatOfDoom
January 24th 2012

I like their first album.