Venetian Snares
Doll Doll Doll

by Ryan W. USER (25 Reviews)
January 20th, 2012 | 15 replies | 1,847 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: While not for everyone, Doll Doll Doll is filled with intense and emotional factions

Upon listening to Venetian Snares for the first time, I felt like my head was going to explode. I was about to rage and scream in agony “What the hell am I listening to??!!!” But after a while of playback, his constantly changing rhythms and ferocious melodies began to slowly grow in my body. It didn't take much time, and I was beginning to actually grasp onto Venetian Snares as a whole. It came as an acquired taste, and once my mind settled in with the taste, I was in for a chaotic adventure.

Let me just clarify something to all the newcomers of Venetian Snares; his music is extremely tough to get into. It’s fast, its absolute chaos, and for some it might signal plain glitched up audio rape. His music is mind-boggling, and is constantly evolving/devolving left and right. It’s almost like a huge fat mess that is supposed to happen. While for most this may seem like too much to handle, other people may find it as an energetic rush, or an intense roller coaster ride.

Doll Doll Doll drives the energy and coaster tours out the window, and even blotches in a serial killer/evil twist. This album almost feels like you are being placed in a horror movie, with its pulsing gabber kicks, scorched melodies, and violent themes (mainly involving the killings of children). These are all formed in a highly complex manner and at times are difficult to comprehend all in one sitting. An afterburning leftover may crawl onto you, and leave you in a different state of mood. While this is common, it may just entitle that you’ve had your fair share of intensity for the day.

The songs themselves are all intense. While there are atmospheric interludes throughout, the sheer brutality will outweigh the quietness. These dynamic songs are also very lengthy, with typical 5-9 minutes to carry. Many jazz influenced sections are also prominent here, with spin-cycling parts repeating themselves onto the actual beat. There’s a variety of horns like the Saxophone and Trombone as well. Some might even entail the emotional factor increases, with a few noticeable springs of soothing pieces that are rather brisk and to the point. You aren’t going to find 12 minute long Miles Davis solo’s here not even in the sixth sense. But those horns make this album worth listening to at least once a go around.

So what I’m trying to point out is, this is definitely not an album for everyone. Many people might feel this album is just ridiculous, while the other side will feel it’s wicked yet tasteful. Doll Doll Doll is not accessible whatsoever (or Venetian Snares for that matter), but having the right set of ears for this type of music (breakcore, IDM) just may feel like a delightful treat. So get your headphones and get ready to destroy your eardrums!

Also, this album is insanely loud, even on the lowest volume.

Napalm Death From Enslavement to ObliterationBloodhound Gang Hooray For Boobies
Current 93 All the Pretty Little HorsesMudvayne Mudvayne
Napalm Death ScumCurrent 93 HoneySuckle Æons
Ryan Flatley EMERITUS (4)
Welcome to the one of the darkest albums I have ever heard....

January 20th 2012

"But after a while of playback, his constantly changing rhythms and ferocious melodies began to grow in my body, and placed itself right in the dead center."

wut

"and is constantly evolving/de-evolving left and right."

how can music evolve and degenerate at the same time?

"An afterburning leftover may crawl onto you, and leave you in a different state of mood."

"a go around."

wut

"Also, this album is insanely loud, even on the lowest volume."

i know what you're trying to say here. But, does 0 volume count? Cuz i thought that meant the absence of all volume

1. His melodies and rhythms begin to well yeah, grow on me
2. I'm not saying they both evolve/de-evolve at the same time, I'm saying it happens over the course
of the songs.
3.After listening to the song, it will basically fuck up your mood
4. Seriously? a go around means to move/travel idiot

5. And yes, on my Ipod classic, even on 0%, it's still rather loud.

Deviant.
January 20th 2012

You can't de-evolve, you devolve

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

January 20th 2012

Oh okay, cause I was actually unsure of that.

And yeah I cleaned up the intro a bit more

January 20th 2012

And yes, on my Ipod classic, even on 0%, it's still rather loud.

lol

ApplicationToHeaven
January 20th 2012

seems none of his other stuff is nearly as good as rossz dkjdfkdapijf whatever its called

January 20th 2012

I don't think so honestly, but this is still awesome nonetheless

January 20th 2012

ryan, plz dont take this as an insult or anything, bcuz im no reviewing expert, but i also believe you could've talked about the album itself more. there is a lot of 'artist-in-general' content written here

January 20th 2012

I guess I could have, but this was a quick write up. I did it in English then waited to submit it when I got home

Deviant.
January 20th 2012

seems none of his other stuff is nearly as good rossz dkjdfkdapijf whatever its called

Not true at all. It's just that that album is his most accessible release, and breakcore isn't known for being an overly friendly genre

January 20th 2012

Breakcore isn't. In fact, for me it was the hardest genre of Electronic music to get into.

January 20th 2012

its damn near impossible for me, but honestly, i am getting a little into it

January 20th 2012

Yeah, I just like the amounts of energy it creates.

January 21st 2012

it doesnt give me energy at all. no sir, only Madison's ass can do that. But I do get a strange feeling when im torn between the beautiful pads displayed in these albums, and the glitchy staccato snares that interrupt everything

clercqie