The Saddest Landscape
After The Lights

by Elijah Andrew STAFF
January 20th, 2012 | 74 replies

Review Summary: Yet another solid album that sees The Saddest Landscape making great music that never really goes above and beyond.

Describing The Saddest Landscape has always been a fairly easy task for many reasons, mostly because of their inherent consistency and extremely approachable established sound. Name dropping bands such as Pianos Become the Teeth, Orchid, Envy, and Saetia typically does the trick, as does speaking of the band’s “beautiful and emotional chaos,” or some other typical emo descriptor. But through all this, it’s the comfort of knowing what to expect from the band that makes each new outing from them slightly diminished. Despite being one of most consistently solid acts out there, they’ve not once gone above and beyond, putting out album after album that is always almost there, almost groundbreaking. This sentiment rings regrettably true for their latest outing, After the Lights, another well executed but mildly underwhelming release from The Saddest Landscape.

Yet despite the strict adherence to an established formula, and an overall unwillingness to raise any sort of musical fortitude, After the Lights is still a wonderfully produced emotional hardcore record. As with 2010’s You Will Not Survive, The Saddest Landscape play an intriguing mixture of modern screamo with classic emo tendencies. Chaotic bursts of frenzied drumming and pounding guitars often lead into melodic, almost post-rock-like instrumental segments. “When Everything Seemed to Matter” is most indicative of this, with the midsection of the song featuring a solemn cello splitting the anger and ataxia in two. All of this is performed nicely due to some very talented musicians. Andy Madoxx in particular impresses, with his always impassioned vocals adding a lot of raw intensity to the overall package. His gruff and incredibly varied delivery is especially stunning, with growls and cleans adding a great amount of personality and character to the album. But it is how well the band works together as a whole that makes the entire work shine. Nary a moment goes by that the band isn’t impressing on some level, whether it’s in regards to technicality or songwriting. The last minute of “Desperate Vespers” is especially captivating, as Madoxx screams agonizingly over a torrent of strings and drums. Moments like these are where The Saddest Landscape looms closely to the edge of profundity, but a few dull sections, such as “This Heals Nothing,” keeps them from truly crossing over.

After the Lights is the very definition of a “great” record. The rules aren’t changed here in the least, and it’s woefully disappointing to see such a talented band play it so safe, but regardless, The Saddest Landscape have made an impressive album none the less. It’s a perfect representation of what the band has stood for throughout their nearly decade long career, and an album well worth checking out.

Lie in Ruins Towards Divine DeathLaster De Verste Verte Is Hier
Antemasque AntemasqueGrouper Ruins

January 20th 2012

I tried for a much shorter and more concise review this time to mix up my reviewing. Sincerely, I would appreciate feedback on how it reads. Thanks!

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry

Ire

neg

streeeeaaaaam

Acanthus
January 20th 2012

Nice review, I enjoyed how the track name dropping was kept out of the review until the end; it summed up the bands sound nicely, with the track examples acting as an "icing" element.

This line reads strangely, too many comma's?

Captain North
January 20th 2012

I liked you will not survive, but I couldn't get passed the first few songs here. It's exactly the same and tbh it's gotten boring

Athom
January 20th 2012

absolutely loved this album. it's better than their last, which i also loved. you're all too jaded.

Aids

^^^

Digging: Mitski - bury me at makeout creek

sniper

19079 Comments

doesn't seem fair to compare them to pianos become the teeth considering the members of pianos were probably 12 when this band formed.

taxidermist

Ah, dammit. I was gonna try and review this. Oh well :-p

fish.
January 20th 2012

This has a few sweet moments but it's not really my thing

Digging: Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers

Maniac!

pfffffft

AbyssalCreation

2044 Comments

Loving this, but it is quite similar to You Will Not Survive mostly in how it's structured.

Desperate Vespers is one of the best songs this band has written imo

This is nitpicking but I don't think his vocal style could be considered growling.

Pos'd

Maniac!
January 20th 2012

"Desperate Vespers is one of the best songs this band has written imo"

duh

InFiction

Album rules.

NeutralThunder12
January 20th 2012

Desperate Vespers and The Comfort of Small Defeats are excellent songs. Amazing if you will. Excellent review per usual but I gotta disagree with some of what you wrote. I don't find This Heals Nothing dull at all and the lonely screams at the end definitely caught me off guard. It's also the perfect length for a release like this. But great review nonetheless

fuckthatnoise
January 20th 2012

yeah album rules. i definitely like it better than You Will Not Survive. haven't heard anything else from these guys though.

Horsehammer

amazing review

January 20th 2012

Thanks for they kind words gents!

This is the second 3.5 review in a row I've gotten flack for. A 3.5 means great
-_-

Nikkolae
January 20th 2012

i was gonna review this but couldnt find the time, your review is great Eli and I can tottaly see where your comming from, however i do belive this album holds an incredible sense of wholesomeness that tips it over the edge from a great album to a incredible record, still, i agree with you in pretty much everything. pos

Digging: Modern Witch - Unknown Domain

taxidermist
January 20th 2012

Yeah a 3.5 isn't bad at all. Shit, a 3 is still good.