Anthony Green
Beautiful Things

by Statrick Pickles USER (63 Reviews)
January 15th, 2012 | 48 replies | 12,656 views

Review Summary: Anthony Green is THE beholder.

It isn't too terribly difficult to notice that Anthony Green's career thus far has essentially been the antithesis to that of former label-mate Jonny Craig. Though both are (generally) heralded as unique, show-stealing vocalists in their respective genres, Green has certainly handled his talents more appropriately. Where Craig fell ungracefully out of favor with bandmates in potential-laden Dance Gavin Dance, only then to flop desperately around the scene - first in trying to fan the flame of some far less impressive groups (including his own solo work) then in fronting a pathetically executed internet scam - Green made some much less juvenile moves. After leaving a promising young Saosin, the talented young Pennsylvanian founded Circa Survive back in 2004 and damn well ran with it, pumping out a triad of very well-received LP's over the next seven years, and doing so alongside side projects and solo work. Beautiful Things is but the next well-placed manifestation of said solo efforts, effectively sating the palates of eager fans anticipating news of an additional Circa Survive release.

From the spaced-out guitar lines of Juturna to most recent LP Blue Sky Noise and its demonstration of Circa Survive really coming together as a band, Green's voice has stood confidently atop the efforts. Not surprisingly, his solo work maintains the same focus around his brazen pipes, with 2008's Avalon offering listeners a chance to hear him alongside more bareback instrumentation. Beautiful Things follows in the same vein, with Green's inimitable vocals soaring high above its more grounded slow-jam accessibility. Where Avalon had a few real standout tracks, with 'Dear Child' presenting itself as one of Green's finest moments to date, Beautiful Things remains more consistent throughout. And while nearly all of its songs are anchored in their frontman's undeniable talent, tracks 'If I Don't Sing' and 'Get Yours While You Can' make a point of showcasing his incredible vocal range.

If one critique can be made of Beautiful Things, it would be its failure to take advantage of some key opportunities. With longtime friends and tour-mates in Philly-based Good Old War, Green's been witness to some of the most immediately lovable records in modern indie/folk. And with such talented musicians for friends, one can't help but think that a record like Beautiful Things would be a perfect stomping grounds for the parties at present to really throw something incredible together between Green's vocals and G.O.W.'s inviting folk sentimentality. Tracks like 'Just to Feel Alive' and 'Blood Song' seem to be on the pretense of testing such waters, with casual and warm sing-songing laid atop a backtracks that could have come right out of Only Way to Be Alone. It's this incredible potential and the fact that Green seemed to be fully aware of its existence, yet chose not to exercise it, that keeps Beautiful Things from really leaving a footprint. Even so, it's tough for a listener not to become blissfully entrapped in the record; getting lost in Anthony Green's enchanting voice really is an effortless task.

If one final remark may be made regarding Mr. Green, it is to assure that he is a man of his word. Beautiful Things lives up to its title - contained within the forty-one minutes are magical moments aplenty, presented to the audience via one of the most formidable frontmen in modern music. In a scene where boldface fonts and Macbook scams run amok, one would have to admit that such integrity is pretty damn refreshing.

Binary Heart SplitsvilleApe Up! Kemosabe
Joyce Manor Of All Things I Will Soon Grow TiredAnti-Flag The General Strike
Good Old War Come Back As RainSnowing Pump Fake / Scherbatsky 7"

Stream: http://anthonygreenschildren.com/stream-the-entire-album/
Also posted at: http://www.muzikdizcovery.com

tl;dr - yep, it's purty purty good

Jruined
January 15th 2012

Picked up the vinyl at the show on friday in New Haven. Very happy I made the purchase. Nice review.

clercqie
January 15th 2012

Nice work as usual, iFght.
This album would be a lot more enjoyable, if it weren't so disjointed.

Digging: Shackleton - Deliverance Series No. 1

luschlotz
January 15th 2012

i thought this was painfully boring. its like he has this very simple idea, and believes it can make an entire song. 13 times. pos'd review though

January 15th 2012

Very much so Clerq, I agree.
Still enjoying the fuck out of laying on my back and listening to it to fight this god damn hangover away.

clercqie
January 15th 2012

Haha, I usually use some pounding techno to bang it out of my head ;)

taxidermist
January 15th 2012

I'll have to listen to it now for sure. Huge Circa fanboy and I loved Avalon soooooooooo :-)

January 15th 2012

nice review dmns, this needed one (and I don't think there was going to be staff coverage, so this has a good shot at a feature)

need to check this out, hope it is as good as you say

Digging: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

DestroyHim

How It Goes is awesome.
And Do It Right.
Those two got stuck in my head fast.

AliW1993
January 15th 2012

I'm tempted to give this a go despite the fact that I hate Circa Survive.

January 15th 2012

i don't know how you can hate circa survive but knowing you Ali I think you'll find this quite nice.

snerefedsav

album is killer

chaseee

Anthony > Craig

January 16th 2012

yes i do believe the intro paragraph established that one

Xenophanes
January 16th 2012

We have the same rating, but apparently two very different views on this album : S

Either way, review is stellar as always, Eric. First paragraph was an interesting perspective.

And Ali, why must you hurt me w/ your circa hate?

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

Ire

great review

twlichty
January 16th 2012

does he still sound like a girl on this album?

twlichty

JK

i love Circa and TSOAF

January 16th 2012

does he still sound like a girl on this album?

yeah pretty much.

wacknizzle
January 16th 2012

Good review, craig ain't got shit on green, besides he's a fucking asshole and green especially in recent interviews seems like a really nice dude. Never got real into avalon, liked the high n driving songs. Just started listening to this, seems pretty pleasant, can't wait to go for a drive later with this on.

Digging: Burrow - The Collapse of Time