Hip Hatchet
Coward's Luck

by Sam Feldman's Rating USER (66 Reviews)
January 2nd, 2012 | 14 replies | 2,377 views

While only 10 minutes long, Hip Hatchet's Coward's Luck brings with it more emotional weight than many full-fledged LPs. Recorded in just a day, this little EP feels completely instinctual, like they just picked up their instruments and just went. The result rings honest and heartfelt; a folk album that is as personable as anything, charming and passionate. Philippe Bronchtein has a deep, full voice and his melodies are as beautiful as his pain. Three tracks of hanging on to memories but always losing them, Coward's Luck is heartbreaking.

The guy's a skilled guitarist, no doubt. Closing track "Just Like An Old Friend" is pure The Tallest Man On Earth; all feeling and power in those strums, squeezing every ounce of energy in those notes. It's a smooth and poignant song, but loud and forceful in its message: "The world that I want so used to little / hates me 'cause I haven't learned to let things go" Bronchtein sings with such brevity, it tears you apart. "The minutes and the distance make you feel like you're alone" is the album's great thesis: this is a lonely album, sung by a lonely person, for all of us lonely people.

Women Public StrainThe Roots undun

deepintheorchard

I love this.

theacademy
January 2nd 2012

if it sounds like wild hunt it probably is just ok and not worth clicking

LPs*

Coward's luck

Capital 'L'.

Well that's pretty vague.

a folk album that is as personable as anything, charming and passionate.

Awkward.

as beautiful as his pain?

Awkward.

January 2nd 2012

10 minutes long, eh? What the hell, even if it's not my cup of tea it's not like I'll have wasted much time. Also, I really think you should take the time to fully flesh out your ideas here. Granted, it is just 10 minutes in length, I still feel like you could have said more but didn't.

iFghtffyrdmns
January 3rd 2012

this review is cute and little
like my wiener

except my wiener isn't very cute.

January 3rd 2012

"all feeling and power in those strums

'feeling' in strums? Can you explain this to me?

ShadowRemains

negnegnegnegnegnegnegneg

Digging: Recondite - Caldera/DRGN 2

theacademy
January 3rd 2012

agree with everything gyro said about the review except:

Well that's pretty vague.

i don't think this is too vague, i just think you just used just one too many justs.

FelixCulpa
January 3rd 2012

This is great. Will make sure to check out their lp as well. And pos'd, nice and concise. The review. Not my penis.

Lucid
January 4th 2012

i'll be checking this out. from what you said about him he seems like a william fitzsimmons type. also i liked the review!

Digging: Perfume Genius - Too Bright