The Weeknd
Echoes of Silence

by Sobhi Youssef EMERITUS
December 29th, 2011 | 638 replies

Review Summary: A completely brilliant beginning to what hopes to be a long and bright career

In a year following the overhyped, yet worthy My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, it is unfortunate that the hip-hop genre has done almost nothing to pick up where Kanye left off. We saw the emergence of a new production demigod in Clams Casino, yet the artists he pairs with leave much to be desired. Danny Brown continues to do his best Lil Wayne-in-Detroit impression, yet falters in the beats department (hint hint Clams Casino). No single rap record encompassed a complete package enough in 2011 to make a true musical statement for the future.

Enter Toronto's Abel Tesfaye, aka The Weeknd, the spiritual inheritor of Kanye's cross-genre torch. House of Balloons introduced the world to Tesfaye's beautiful R&B falsetto, while firmly entrenching his art as innovation through Downtempo-laden production. The title track has easily become an anthem for 2011 in its indiefied interpretation of the original post-punk classic "Happy House". Follow-up Thursday proved HoB wasn't just dumb luck and met his new found audience head-on with a less chilled out offering, more influenced by trip-hop than anything else and maintaining a high standard for production and atmosphere.

Finally, Tesfaye closes out a completely massive 2011 with Echoes of Silence - doing the nearly unheard of and releasing three genre classics within the span of a single calendar year. A sum of its parts per-se, Echoes is an amalgam of all previous mixtapes, yet emphasizing a more pronounced hip-hop vibe. "D.D." uncovers a rift in time and space with Captain Eo and Tesfaye planted firmly in the middle; there is no question MJ traversed the temporal planes to steal the concept for "Dirty Diana". No single track is worthy of the malevolent skip button for lack of quality; if anything it's to get to an even more excellent track. "XO/ The Host" flaunts one of the finest beats found this side of the year 3000, where the tempered atmosphere of "Same Old Song" and "The Fall" encourage a definitely butchered yet emotionally charged duet with your car speakers on your way home from whatever it was you were doing at five o'clock in the morning. While many grasp for thematic interpretation of the Balloon-trilogy, they are missing the real essence of The Weeknd; drug/sex references and hazy nightclub escapades only take a potential artist so far with poor songwriting and create-a-rapstar production. Let the complete composition wash through your neurons and take it for what it is: a completely brilliant beginning to what hopes to be a long and bright career.

Nacho Picasso and Avatar Darko VampsterdamGorguts Colored Sands
Run the Jewels Run the JewelsThe-Dream IV Play
James Blake OvergrownTyler the Creator Wolf
Funeral (5)
Partying Is Such A Sweet Sorrow...

rmill3r (3.5)
Comparisons to other mixtapes aside, "Echoes" is Tesfaye's aggressive finale to a smooth R&B trilogy...

Matthew D. French (4.5)
Echoes of Silence might just be Tesfaye’s best mixtape yet....

robertsona

jeez

AsoTamaki
December 29th 2011

Oh, snap. He went and broke out the 5.

tl,dr

I can't wait until he releases all 3 mixtapes on vinyl

December 29th 2011

Damn staffers replacing my features :P Just kidding - the review is really good, Sobhi, and I'm glad to see that you and I agree for the most part.

One small thing:

A sum of it's parts per-se

its*

December 29th 2011

gonna have to smack my editor

you just lost your feature privileges pal

plane
December 29th 2011

I think Drake met Kanye head on with Take Care, it just favors darker, moodier colors. I really came around to this, and it's definitely a large step up from Thursday. House of Balloons feels like a dumb-luck classic (in terms of its absolute beastly quality), even if the Weeknd overall are pretty superb across the three mixtapes.

you just lost your feature privileges pal

i think itS time for another review review

December 29th 2011

i'll listen to more take care. i liked it, but didn't really get floored like MBDTF

fuckthatnoise

>Best New Music
>5.0 featured staff review
>#1 in popular albums list as i type this.

I approve, Sputnik. I approve.

Jash

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Fluorine
December 29th 2011

Here come the 5s. Flash 'em loud and proud.
But for serious, if there's a 'classic' of 2011, it's this...or The Balloon Trilogy in general.

captaincrunch11

BRING THA SEVEN ON SEVEN NAH

TMobotron
December 30th 2011

TBH I think dirty diana was done better by the weeknd. Maybe it's my huge boner for this dude, but I really enjoy the way he holds his notes longer than MJ does, and the fact that 80s cheese guitar solos aren't all over the place. Plus his seems like a way more emotional outpouring vs MJ's which is more or just a pop song.

Not to say MJ's isn't classic, and I know it was probably much more fitting for the time, but this version seems like a rendition of a classic that has been revised to better fit today's style, while making some small improvements here and there.

paxman
December 30th 2011

Why do you talk about Kanye West in a Weeknd review?

AsoTamaki
December 30th 2011

Because Kanye had the definitive hip hop release last year. And The Weeknd had the definitive R&B release this year. And hip hop and R&B are the same thing on sputnik.

D.D. isn't really that great. Abel sounds like he's singing it with no conviction. I get that for some of it, he's doing a more relaxed style, but there are times when he tries to get "passionate" and it doesn't work the same as MJ. Compare the "I'll be the freak you can taunt" part or the "she said he's not coming back because he's sleeping with me!" bit. It's so weak. No fire.

Montreal is the first track whenever I listen to this.

cvlts

I can't wait until he releases all 3 mixtapes on vinyl

lmtd to 500. just wait

TMobotron
December 30th 2011

Don't really get how you can say the "because he's sleeping with me!" part is weak in the weeknd version. It's fucking huge.

Rev