CityCop
Seasons

by Adam Thomas STAFF
December 18th, 2011 | 324 replies

Review Summary: The best EP of the year comes out just as we all finish our lists.

It's amazing how much one little email can do as part of one's music discovery. Earlier this year I had no idea who CityCop even were, let alone that they would end up being some of the nicest dudes I have run across in my time dealing with music criticism. Their debut album The Hope in Forgiving and Giving Up Hope was one of 2011's biggest surprises. Coming from Ashtabula, Ohio these upstarts managed to create something so enchantingly different in the screamo genre, yet still filled with all the reminiscent hooks that got me into the style in the first place. So here we are at the end of the same year and CityCop are closing it out in the same way in which they ushered it in, by outdoing themselves. Their newest EP Seasons is monumental. As someone who tries to be a musician, all I can say is it's not even fair what CityCop have pulled off – releasing not only one of the better full lengths of the year but only months later to follow it up with what might just be the EP of the year.

Seasons transcends its screamo-wave influence and punches hard, despite not having a single distorted riff or rush of feedback. Just like their debut, Seasons is a stunning mix of acoustic cleans and honest screams. While the introductory track, a fittingly hoarse rendition of Charles Bukowski's classic poem “Bluebird”, might bring up thoughts of La Dispute, the following four tracks, each one named after its related season, transcend their collective influences to create a technically impressive and wholly original sonic experience. Guitarist Max Adam's melodies are absolutely enchanting, eschewing punk tradition and pulling from everything from classical to calypso jazz. It doesn't hurt that the rhythm section follows his lead with the utmost care and precision. Vocalist Eddie Gancos' impassioned wails tie everything back into to their genre framework, doing his part to provide the emotional catharsis one expects for the sound. It all melds together so beautifully. From the bouncy leads of “Spring” through the dread and gloom of “Winter”, CityCop have not only released something that they should be proud of, but something that has the power to propel them to the top of the scene from which they've spawned.

Weezer Everything Will Be Alright in the EndYOB Clearing The Path To Ascend
United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two

December 18th 2011

great review, I love seeing bands from northeast ohio get so much attention on here

treeqt.

o my god

December 18th 2011

how many acoustic screamo bands are there?

December 18th 2011

well regardless citycop are probs the best

December 18th 2011

this seriously hasn't left my stereo in a week.

December 18th 2011

having bluebird as the first track pretty much cements it as the best ep i've heard all year

Acanthus

Acoustic screamo, huh.

Digging: The Knife - Deep Cuts

xfearbefore
December 18th 2011

Their album was awesome, I'm on this shit.

Kris.
December 18th 2011

oh shit this is really good

December 18th 2011

just thinking about how good their next full length will be makes me so excited

Wildorwhat
December 18th 2011

They have definitely matured but I don't think it is as good as their debut LP.

sportsboy
December 18th 2011

all the guitar parts are sensational on this EP
the lyrics kick ass too

Digging: Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts

Vespiion
December 18th 2011

Well, this is a pleasant surprise.

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

jayfatha

Wasn't expecting to like this as much as I do. Might become a 4.5 soon

cool

Imperial
December 18th 2011

A couple parts remind me of Toe's For Long Tomorrow. I can't agree with it being the best EP of the
year though. Glassjaw's EP is miles ahead of this in my opinion.

December 18th 2011

The drums are really good
And the last song is killer

Imperial
December 18th 2011

Yeah the drummer is good it just feels underwhelming with the lack of distortion.

December 18th 2011

Coloring Book is probably my biggest disappointment of the year. Loved Our Color Green though.