The Prodigy
The Fat of the Land

by Ryan W. USER (25 Reviews)
December 16th, 2011 | 24 replies

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One of the biggest albums ever created

Every now and then an album comes out that stuns the world past belief. The group's recognition begins to grow uncontrollably, and therefore outweighs some of the other pieces that are being made at the time. What is so interesting about this whole ordeal is that back in the early 00's and late 90's, these events occurred. Particularly in the Electronic genre, artists such as The Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim were crafting massive albums, all setting in some sort of milestone that would be carried in the long run. The Chemical Brothers shocked the world with ‘Dig Your Own Hole’, and Fatboy Slim produced a funky and groovy release, ‘Better Living Through Chemistry’. Then there’s The Prodigy. The Prodigy’s Fat of the Land began to follow a crazy journey, and their mainstream publicity grew in the correct path. The Fat of the Land was enormous.

The album itself is very catchy and hypnotic that in terms makes this album actually worth listening to. The genres are also a bit moody as well. Some tunes slide on over to aggressive Industrial, and others include elements of Alternative Hip Hop/Rap. However, the category of Big Beat is the set that carries this album over. Plus what is funny, the genre is actually based on how it sounds. The beats are massive. A lot of the tracks also are loaded with energy, and places in a lot of brightness. The synth lines are extremely creative. Some tracks have 4-5 synths that actually overlay the others that in return make the song richer. It definitely sets in more of an accessible mood to the listener. It would honestly be rather ignorant if a person would say the songs are tedious or just lack many elements. I would find it hard to believe. There is so much emotion, power, and layers put behind the songs that it’s almost unimaginable for a human brain to even comprehend.

The hard-hitting track, ‘Smack My Bitch Up’ opens up the album. It starts off with a low groggy bassline, and then pairs up with a fantastic percussion beat. The vocals are well done, but can get redundant occasionally. Basically they are just the vocalist repeatedly saying ‘smack my bitch up, change my pitch up’ and vice versa. It begins to get a little annoying, but thankfully the song itself has a long bridge that builds up to the existing tempo. Some other tracks that deliver the most ambition and energy are ‘Funky S***’ and ‘Breathe.’ ‘Narayan’ is absolutely breathtaking. It starts off with some sort of Middle Eastern string instrument, then gradually progresses in a superb way. There is so much to be uncovered, with the crazy amounts of synthlines, and charming vocals. It definitely is one of The Prodigy’s best, and is one of the best on the album. The song itself is highly Trance influenced. ‘Climbatize’ has that House feel to it, and the last tune ‘Fuel My Fire’ is ridiculously chaotic. The drumming pattern is intense, and has diverse loops.

So really, The Fat of the Land is a definite Electronic essential. Comparing this to the amount of amazing Electronic releases in the 90’s and early 00’s, this stands in the same field. To this day The Fat of the Land is still very fun to listen to and to this day is still highly influential.

Napalm Death From Enslavement to ObliterationBloodhound Gang Hooray For Boobies
Current 93 All the Pretty Little HorsesMudvayne Mudvayne
Napalm Death ScumVenetian Snares Doll Doll Doll
Deviant STAFF (5)
Ban this sick fire record!...

Meatplow (5)

Britain Invasions (4.5)

Dark Hero (3.5)

Acanthus
December 16th 2011

I like to use "Narayan" as a transition track when I DJ, it brings the dancy, more house music back down to something I can mix industrial with.

Album is a classic, I love "Diesel Power" to death.

Digging: The Knife - Deep Cuts

I should check this out

71957 Comments

yea diesel power rules, kool keith for life

this album is my childhood m/

Digging: Exodus - Blood In, Blood Out

AliW1993

Album rules so much

December 16th 2011

What exactly is the fat of the land?

Restrikted
December 16th 2011

I think it means being wealthy or something

Acanthus
December 16th 2011

Relevant - comes from the old English phrase 'living off the fat of the land', which means 'living well' or being wealthy [wikipedia]

Deviant.
December 16th 2011

What is so eerie about this whole ordeal is that back in the early 00's and late 90's, these events occurred.

How is this eerie?

and Fatboy Slim produced a funky and groovy release, ‘Better Life Through Chemistry’.

The album is called Better Living Through Chemistry

The Prodigy’s Fat of the Land began to follow a crazy journey, and lead their mainstream publicity and praise in general down the correct path for quite some time. The Fat of the Land was enormous.

For some reason you choose not to separate the album title from the main prose like you did with the others. As in, if you're going for continuity, this should be 'The Fat Of The Land'

The album itself is crammed with a lot of variety that in terms makes this album actually worth listening to.

Sentence makes no sense

Some tunes slide on over to aggressive Trance,

If by tunes you mean none then yes

However, the category of Big Beat is the set that carries this album over

There isn't a single big beat track on this album

The vocals are well done. Basically they are just the vocalist repeatedly saying ‘smack my bitch up, change my pitch up’ and vice versa. It begins to get a little annoying,

And yet they're still well done? They're also sampled by the way

It definitely is one of the Prodigy’s best

The Prodigy

The song itself is highly Trance influenced, mostly because of the amounts of repetition and complexity that is played.

Complexity and repetition do not make something trance

At the time there was so much hype and tension that was being built up with upcoming debuts by Electronic artists that soon released and shocked the world with what they created.

I don't understand why this sentence is in your summary, or for that matter, why it exists at all. It has nothing to do with this band

Ah, that makes sense

MO

Sing it dev.

Album's amazing.

Restrikted

i cleaned it up

johnnydeking29
December 16th 2011

Ah...classic...Climbatize and Narayan are awesome and this rocks so much more than any electronica album should

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

December 16th 2011

And yet they're still well done?

In all fairness, one can concede that something is well done but ultimately dislike it. Otherwise I agree with most of Dev's points: this review is a mess at points.

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

linkjerk

w/e
i didnt enjoy this a whole lot, it was ok, but nothing more.
im not one to pan my buddy's reviews for mistakes, so have a shit pos.

Deviant.

i cleaned it up

At a quick glance half of the stuff I've pointed out are still there

taylormemer
December 17th 2011

Who cares no one listens to corrections nowadays

I DO!

Tyrael

20893 Comments

Weird, I thought I had this rated

album rules

Nomad
December 17th 2011

Perfect shit for night-time driving.

TheNotrap
December 17th 2011

Smack My Bitch Up and Diesel Power rule hard.

Digging: Threshold - For The Journey