Thrice
Major/Minor

by Strayver USER (2 Reviews)
December 5th, 2011 | 23 replies

Review Summary: Thrice set the bar immeasurably high for post-hardcore acts yet to come

Major/Minor is the album that defines Thrice’s career. It is a massive tour-de-force that latches onto you and refuses to let go. The powerful, soothing, haunting, beautiful vocals of singer Dustin Kensrue are the highlight of the album however the whole band gives it their all the result is likely the strongest disc in Thrice’s discography. It avoids the eccentricities of the Alchemy Index and contains the power of their early work, yet keeps the soft gentle feel of Vhiessu and Beggars.

Major/Minor’s strength lies in its simplicity. Thrice set out to make this album without a concept, just well written and performed songs. The delivery on this concept is near flawless. Every song flows together and carries some deep weight in their lyrics. Looking at the lyrics of “Anthology” one can see subtle metaphors with life and sailing on troubled waters. Literally about a promise made to someone special, it carries a deeper metaphorical meaning; that no matter how vicious the storm, love can weather it through. “Anthology” is only one example of the deep lyrics Thrice have crafted for this album.

Just like the lyrics, the music is flawless as well. The simple guitar rhythms on songs like “Promises” are very reminiscent of the best of bands like The White Stripes or even AC/DC. The music is complex but never over steps its bounds. It is honestly just a near perfect work. There is nothing that detracts from this album in the slightest. The songs will last due to their deep meaningful lyrics and hidden sounds and intricacies that thrive on repeated listens.

This album is a perfect example of why Thrice is considered by most to be the defining post-hardcore band. They did not stick to the paradigms set by other bands in their genre, instead smashing through these barriers and crafting some of the best music ever written. Thrice can never truly be understood but from what has been determined so far is that what they do can never be matched, has no equal and changes lives. The best part is, there’s more to come.

johnnydeking29
December 5th 2011

Great album, although I think a 5 is a little high. Anthology is an instant classic though

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

22004 Comments

still don't see the hype with anthology

Digging: Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dream

Lumyth

cataracts is my jam

VheissuCrisis
December 5th 2011

I'm with AnarchistFish, I like it, but the 'clear stand-out' that so many people label it isn't apparent to me.

Strayver
December 5th 2011

I think this truly is a classic. The moments on this album really shine as well as it is a great band making great music and showing that they put a lot of effort into their work. Also first review and thank you to whoever fixed my coding issues.

Aids
December 5th 2011

"Thrice set the bar immeasurably high for post-hardcore acts yet to come"

except this isn't a post-hardcore album. like, at all.

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

yeah

22004 Comments

Yeah I heard this was grunge

pizzamachine

I heard this was good

Rev

Anthology is amazing

dixoncocks
December 5th 2011

"The best part is, there’s more to come."

Not so sure about that.

22004 Comments

The remix of words in the water is amazing

blastOFFitsPARTYtime
December 5th 2011

Agree with Aids. Not HIV but full blown AIDS.

Decent album, possibly best since Vheissu, but Artist and Illusions are exponentially better.

johnnydeking29

Yeah, Artist owns this

DirEnRefused

Artist was so....homogenous.

Gilgamahesh
December 6th 2011

Not at all, Artist was boring pop-punk. This and Vheissu are easily the best Thrice from a musical and technical standpoint. The nostalgia factor may be working on some of you or maybe you just have strange taste.

blastOFFitsPARTYtime
December 6th 2011

"Artist was boring pop-punk".

Erm, no.

wacknizzle
December 7th 2011

Personally Simple Math was 'this' kinda album for me this year. I'm puttin this one off for now, maybe someday it will really get me although I can recognize what it is and do really love a few tracks, I'm not really dedicated to any particular album right now. It's just one of those transition periods in my life.

Digging: This Gift Is A Curse - I, Gvilt Bearer

Ending
December 10th 2011

1917 Comments

Good but not that good.

Gilgamahesh
December 10th 2011

"Erm, no."

I meant in comparison. This is far more mature, far more structured, and far more technical. M/M and Vheissu appeal to me far more than Artist does.