Mahria
Mahria

by Lucid CONTRIBUTOR (17 Reviews)
November 23rd, 2011 | 72 replies | 6,423 views

Review Summary: A vocal performance not to be missed.

Mahria’s debut contains the best female vocals I’ve ever heard within the emo/hardcore scene. Corby Burnett’s emotive shrieks captured my attention from the first vocal release on the ferocious opener "Lights" – I sensed there was something excitingly different about her emotional expression. What sets her screams apart is their startling femininity; there seems to be a trend for the too-few female screamers fronting hardcore bands to imitate the vocal approach of men (see: iwrestledabearonce and The Agonist), growling and heaving their way over the discordant music. It becomes troublesome when I can barely distinguish them from male screamers, especially when the main pull of the band is the gender of the vocalist. Burnett sounds very much like a girl as she is tearing her heart out and slapping it on record, resulting in a distinctive and affecting vocal performance that thrives on contrast. There is an inherent frailty to the female voice, and Burnett’s wails are characterized by this element while simultaneously harboring desperate, forceful angst that pierces through the surrounding chaos. Her screams are believable – I feel deep empathy for her when I hear them, wanting to extinguish whatever is causing her pain, as illogical as that desire is. It is the only reaction I can muster to expression that feels so deeply and uncomfortably human.

The environment inflaming Burnett reinforces the depth of my emotional response: it is abrasive and combative, creating context for her self-destruction. Melodic riffs reminiscent of Loma Prieta puncture punchy track lengths as unpredictable drumming hammers forward through the reckless disorder. The most technically-proficient song on this release is perhaps "Justification of an Old man": the atmosphere is genuinely thrilling, as stop-start drumming coupled with a catchy guitar motif repeatedly stalls the movement of the track. The instrumental track preceding the closer is also a highlight: it is thoughtful and reflective, offering needed reprieve from the numbing assault of the other songs. To be frank though, S/T Cassette is carried by Burnett’s vocals – were it not for her, the band could very well be labeled as derivative within the populated emo scene. Nevertheless, the combination of her hysterical shrieks with the aggression and technical ability of the band amounts to a shockingly impressive debut. To put it bluntly, this is not a release to be overlooked.

Arcade Fire ReflektorCrash of Rhinos Knots
Fiona Apple The Idler Wheel...Deafheaven Sunbather
Mark Kozelek & Jimmy Lavalle Perils from the SeaPanda Bear Tomboy
Eli EMERITUS (4)

Aids
November 23rd 2011

nice, solid review. Glad to see people are enjoying this (though it mainly just seems to be the mezz crew so far haha)

I saw you originally rated this a 3.5 and died a little inside, glad it grew on you a bit. pos.

(obligatory "write more reviews blah blah blah")

Digging: Ought - More Than Any Other Day

November 23rd 2011

Awesome, awesome review. But heads up, the band just posted my review on facebook and Lealand is definitely not their vocalist, so that should probably be altered haha

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

someguest

20220 Comments

(though it mainly just seems to be the mezz crew so far haha)

what is the 'mezz crew' anyway

Digging: Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

November 23rd 2011

First rule Aids! I'm the new guy and I know the first rule!

Aids

oops my bad haha

sniper

the hope and the failure

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

November 23rd 2011

@Eli: I actually originally had the vocalist mentioned correctly in my review but then I read yours and switched her name lol. Glad to see we have it fixed now. And thanks for the compliments guys, I appreciate them.
EDIT: Can be downloaded for free here http://warwounds.blogspot.com/2011/10/mahria.html

Digging: Braid - No Coast

someguest

20220 Comments

What sets her screams apart is their startling femininity;

yeah that's what's so great about this album

aok

First rule Aids!

lol.

and cool -- 2 lucidity reviews in 1 week? insightful as ever (pos), but try to eliminate the first person language when possible (something i struggle with mightily as well)

November 23rd 2011

So you're pretty good at this concise reviewing model. Great work, Ali - I'll be sure to take a listen to this sometime soon =]

November 23rd 2011

That's what I like to hear!

Rev
November 23rd 2011

I'm so glad I showed people this

TheSpirit

the hope and the failure

[2]

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

Sleaper
November 23rd 2011

anyone got a link? cant find shit on youtube/bandcamp

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

November 23rd 2011

It was free on bandcamp but then it was changed to $5 for download. That's the only source I know of unfortunately.

Sleaper

can listen for free. its just $5 to buy

vocals are gnarlz

there you go

lealand987
November 24th 2011

download it here for free:
/get our first rls here:

thanks for the nice words and listens!!

November 24th 2011

I suggested to the mods that your review be featured, because it's really solid, and this record is awesome

November 24th 2011

Thanks Eli, I'm flattered. Would be nice if we could get a proper hype train going ;).