Esoteric
Paragon Of Dissonance

by JohnJerk USER (4 Reviews)
November 22nd, 2011 | 76 replies | 11,452 views

Review Summary: An album that will make your ears bleed and make you not care about it at all.

This album is what the invisible oranges gesture was made for.

Now, as mentioned, this is a massive album; not just in length but in sound as well. And Esoteric did not take any steps to hide this fact. It should not come to a surprise to anyone that Esoteric revels in casting forth crushing wave after crushing wave of deafening distorted guitar and with a pace the rivals the slowness of time. You have Greg Chandler and Jim Nolan simply just forcing their way through your ear canals, backed by Mark Bodossian on his down-tuned bass of death, slugging to create a perfect example of why funeral doom is one of the heaviest genres the bigger umbrella of metal ever cast off. However, there are some switching points through the first half; all of a sudden we have medium-paced death metal riffs, a few psychedelic interludes and what have you. This should not come as a suprise though as this is Esoteric and they have done all the way through the career; it just seems a lot of prominent on "Paragon of Dissonance". Especially during the longer tracks, Abandonment and Non Being. I mean, after about two minutes of droning, the last track mentioned suddenly picks up a marching drum beat and a guitar solo.

I make it sound like I've never heard funeral doom before, right? I know that all the stuff I just mentioned of course has it place in such a down-tempo genre of music but, for me, it sometimes puts me on a slope with this album; you don't know where you have it. Luckily, when Esoteric are good with their feedback, their reverb and their heavy sound they are really ***ing good.

The second part, however, is much more unforgiving. It is a three tracks of roughly the same length, all about fifteen minutes of unrelenting doom riffs and slow drumming. This is what I came for. This is where Esoteric gets me every time and I go into full metalhead mode. When this album is heavy, it is, without a shadow of a doubt, the heaviest album I've heard all year. It slams you down and just keeps on pushing until all the bones in your body have been turned to dust by the sheer force of sound eminating from two guitars, a bass, a drumkit and a growling madman.

In conclusion, what you have here could easily be a contender for metal album of the year. However, seeing as funeral doom metal gets a bit niche at times, I'll just note that if you like heavy music, if you are prone to the famous insivible oranges stance, then this is right up your alley. Plus, if you are a fan of doom metal and haven't heard Esoteric, now is a good a time to start as any.

DarkNoctus CONTRIBUTOR (4)
a paragon indeed....

GodL1ke (4.5)
Another quality release from the leaders of funeral doom? You bet your ass....

Eons
November 22nd 2011

Review was OK, a bit short though.

This album is great, yet very hard to listen to because it drags & drags. This band has abnormally
long songs.

Digging: C.A. Quintet - Trip Thru Hell

seedofnothing
November 22nd 2011

^well judging by your ratings, i would expect someone like you to say something like that

JohnJerk
November 22nd 2011

@Eons; honestly, if you think that the songs are too long then doom metal in general really isn't for you, is it? I am not trying to come off as confrontational but really, this is a genre that is supposed to "drag". But with the drag comes the amazing aspect of heaviness, the thick and grimy guitar sounds and that is what I look for in a doom metal and I sure found it with Paragon of Dissonance.

November 22nd 2011

hah well its longer than my review at least i think

SCREAM!
November 22nd 2011

Finally getting around to giving this a first listen.

Digging: Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere

November 22nd 2011

Cool album. Will be an occasional listen however. For now.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

Ignimbrite

"This band has abnormally
long songs."

have you ever listened to any doom, sludge, or post metal?

Ending
November 23rd 2011

have you ever listened to any doom, sludge, or post metal?

My thoughts exactly.

This album is really good.

DarkNoctus
November 23rd 2011

no it isn't. it's meant to be long and slow-moving but it's not meant to drag.

but then, this doesn't drag at all so... :]

skepticism drags

but they still rule

tarkus

rating keeps dropping

i miss 4.4

November 23rd 2011

not really i might drop my rating soon myself

ouch ):

JohnJerk
November 24th 2011

@DarkNoctus; well, hence why I put it as "drag". ;-)

DarkNoctus
November 24th 2011

drag is a derogatory statement. being long and slow-moving is an observation. :]

yea seriously

Hawks
November 24th 2011

Speaking of Skepticism, I listened to both Farmakon and Alloy last night. Felt good man.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

combustion07
November 24th 2011

I should probably get around to hearing this.

Nifkin
November 25th 2011

Repetitive, long, and pretty boring. I couldn't get into it and I fail to see the genius.

Digging: BYRTA - BYRTA

November 25th 2011

eh its obviously not for you