Lady Gaga
Born This Way

by LordKalbert USER (1 Reviews)
November 20th, 2011 | 13 replies | 2,011 views

Review Summary: Lady Gaga: Retro-Queen.

Lady Gaga's Born This Way was the biggest musical event of the year, and the reviews were mixed. Usually I'm on the side of, "This album was great. Nobody understands what they're doing." But instead, I'm very perplexed by this record. And if Born This Way wasn't considered a rip-off of Madonna's "Express Yourself" - which I cease to believe now - I will say that there's right many, if not too many, Madonna allusions within it.

Actually, there's too many allusions entirely, and the album doesn't live and breathe Lady Gaga, it lives and breathes tributes to 80's pop.

There's no overall story or mood within the album. The album goes from a song that sounds alot like Madonna (Fashion of His Love) to a song that sounds alot like Blondie (Electric Chapel), and something that sounds like it was written by some Blues Brother band (You and I).

No I probably hate this album, but there are good points - Judas is her greatest song ever, though it sounds like a rip-off of herself. It sounds like a psycho- more prophetic edition of Bad Romance, and I think I read somewhere it sounds a little like Pokerface. Edge of Glory is one of the few retro songs from the album that I like. It uses some 80's synths, or something, whatever it is it sounds 80's and slightly 90's, with the overall neutral effect that all retro tracks produced in the early 2010's has. It sounds like her last love song before she jumps off a cliff with her beloved - which a performance by her on American Idol helped me imagine.

Electric Chapel IS a good song, and so is Heavy Metal Lover - that's just about the only thing Gaga created herself for the album. I also like The Queen.

The album is a love letter to her fans. Simple, easy to decode lyrics that could be understood by a 13 year old girl, uplifting harmonies, and messages to fill up all kinds of stuff that's positive.

However there's no danger, there's no genius, and I feel like she's tainted her image with slogans like, "Fashion of His Love", "There's only three men that Imma serve my whole life. That's my daddy and Nebraska and Jesus Christ", and whatever other Jesus reference she has loaded up in there.

dylantheairplane
November 20th 2011

Heavy Metal Lover rules, this review not so much though.
It is your first so I wont bash hard but you need to expand on your views a lot more and do not say things like, "No I probably hate this album, but there are good points - Judas is her greatest song ever, though it sounds like a rip-off of herself." It just sounds dumb.
And you spend the entire review talking about it being retro; pretty unnecessary.

sup

Digging: Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Pikapika Fantajin

FromDaHood
November 20th 2011

'even if it sounds like a rip-off of herself...'

What?

Cipieron
November 20th 2011

i hate all the L.Gaga/Queen comparisons... whether they're true or not

Queen are really good

Cipieron

agreed

fromtheinside
November 20th 2011

you guys just don't get it

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

Tyrael

20713 Comments

I'd like to believe that

Deviant.
November 20th 2011

recommended by reviewer: marilyn manson-mechanical animals...uh what?

Lol, I hope that's because of the album cover

Digging: Calyx and Teebee - FabricLive.76

Lucid

scheibe is sexy

Digging: Braid - No Coast

HeathenEarthling
November 20th 2011

"I think I read somewhere it sounds a little like Pokerface."

You've heard the song. In your opinion, does it or does it not sound a little like Pokerface?

Shuyin
November 20th 2011

it sounds like a trollface

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars

dylantheairplane
November 20th 2011

"It uses some 80's synths, or something, whatever it is it sounds 80's and slightly 90's"

Perfection