Autumn
Cold Comfort

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
November 19th, 2011 | 21 replies | 4,902 views

Review Summary: Autumn falls.

Generally, when gothic rock/metal bands prepare for their next album, they claim that it will be their heaviest and/or darkest effort. In preparation for Autumn’s next album, however, they stated that they were, “stretching out to more progressive musical genres”, and also, that their sound engineer, “envisioned a more vintage approach for Cold Comfort”. This was not comforting. They had already tried a prog influenced, yet gothic affair in Altitude, a failed combination in their hands. It sounded like they couldn’t decide what they wanted to be, a prog band, or just another gothic rock pretender. Therefore, it was wildly inconsistent. It was also fairly average music, and it wouldn’t take much to make Autumn a boring band. In fact, it would take this album, Cold Comfort, for them to finally, and completely, dive off the deep end into an empty pool.

Cold Comfort sees Autumn trying a new genre, progressive rock, which is exactly what they wanted to do. Although this seems like a bad idea at first, it turns out that this direction actually suits the band. They were trying too hard to rock in their previous album, but such a thing shouldn’t have to be forced. Therefore, their new, completely chill, and void of metal direction, makes total sense. Even Marjan’s vocals fit this role perfectly, since her singing was never especially loud. With less forced aggression, their music is sounding as peaceful as their band name suggests. In the season of Autumn, I’m fairly certain that leaves fall off trees noiselessly, rather than finding the nearest gun and firing it at the bastard tree.

The band certainly had the right idea with this new direction, but unsurprisingly, it doesn’t pay off. They said that they have taken leaps outside of their comfort zone with this album, but those leaps are more like baby steps. What they consider vintage prog rock actually sounds closer to radio friendly, adult-oriented alternative rock. In other words, it’s pretty boring. What boggles the mind, though, is that this band could easily do better. We hear potential in the track ‘Naeon’ which claims a hurricane of riffs, and even in the more gothic, and heavier song, ‘The Scarecrow’, but apart from those, the album is completely forgettable. It turns out that the switch to prog rock is the worst thing that the band could have possibly done. Unless they get their act together, no one will be listening to this band any time soon.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex
3.1
good

Altitude

November 19th 2011

I'm gonna sleep soon. :] Come hither!

how do you keep finding all these terrible albums lol. i want more 4's and 5's

good review btw ;

November 19th 2011

haha I guess I have a knack for finding them!

Emim
November 19th 2011

I won't be listening to this band any time soon.

needs more cowbell

November 19th 2011

I like where this is going. *rubs hands*

Acanthus
November 19th 2011

I knew you were going to review something today, I could just feel it!

It's sad that many gothic tinged bands never find their stride :/

Digging: Ayria - Hearts for Bullets

November 19th 2011

yeah really tho, for instance draconian's new one was pretty good but i woulda wished they'd take much further

Acanthus
November 19th 2011

I need to listen to more by them, their debut is superb though.

scissorlocked
November 19th 2011

first sentence is so true

won't bother with this

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches

Willie
November 19th 2011

I didn't buy into this band's own hype. Their last album proved that even in a genre full of terribly average bands, this one could still be considered bad. For a band that does the subtle prog gothic thing, check out the last album by Menagerie.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

Dreamflight
November 19th 2011

"Generally, when gothic rock/metal bands prepare for their next album, they claim that it will be their heaviest and/or darkest effort"

So much win here. :D And as usal, great review pizza.

The only Autumn album I liked was Summer's End, but I will still check this out.

Xenophanes
November 19th 2011

Solid review man, and yeah, this is like the antithesis of my sorta "thing."

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

November 19th 2011

Thanks guys. : ) Yeah this isn't good.

Tyrael

20440 Comments

I love the band description:

Another Gothic metal band from the Netherlands.

lol

hahaha didn't see that

iFghtffyrdmns
November 19th 2011

Tyrael I was literally going to write that EXACT comment. I mean I had just come back from control-C'ing the description on the bandpage and I was scrolling down and saw yours. damn you.

but yeah it's really funny.

Willie

I love the band description:

Another Gothic metal band from the Netherlands.

lol
That was me ;)

I'm shocked!

MisterTornado
November 20th 2011

Autumn falls, that's pretty good

Digging: Ju Sei and Utah Kawasaki - ??????