Sean Milo
Elgin

by Statrick Pickles USER (63 Reviews)
November 17th, 2011 | 19 replies | 3,259 views

Review Summary: "And now I'm watching us crumble..."

You complete me. I love you. I'm lost without you. To even mention how incredibly trite and void of consequence these common little snippets have become is practically banal in itself. Wars were not waged over such petty utterances, and kingdoms certainly did not crumble over a sentiment that could be put up into three meager words. Rather, it has been the inability to articulate the simultaneous angst and buoyancy afforded from love and heartbreak that's been able to drive some of us away from sanity. It is the knowledge that I love you will never cut it that can send a person into a spiraling demise of self hate and pity. Fortunately for himself and for we listeners, however, Sean Milo has studied up on his metaphors. Elgin is profusely littered with them, offering the listener a slew of untried ways to put such amorous sensations into words. And boy is it refreshing.

As far as song construction goes, no grounds are really broken on the three track EP. Instead, Milo employs his second release to showcase his uncanny ability to expand upon and master a simple songwriting formula, infusing it with novel, heartfelt lyrics that ring true long after the tracks have played out. The title-track finds the singer/songwriter amidst the ultimate postmodernist dilemma, separate from yet endlessly entrapped by his invention, forever venturing to transcend the bounds of language imposing upon the expression of such indispensable endearments. In doing so, his sound closely represents that of fellow Northeastern'ers in Tigers On Trains, with the focus on profound songwriting and pleasant melodies overshadowing some of Elgin's repetitiveness that might otherwise detract from it. The closing track is an abridged take on The Cure's 'Plainsong' that offers an equally enjoyable and affecting listen in about one third of the original's time, capturing the same melodramatic feel without the same dragged-out, borderline monotonous intro. Even the trace of disconnect between singer and song on 'Shout, Noah', a remastered track from his slightly less impressive debut, isn't enough to take away from the new release's undeniable character. All in all, Milo's comprehensive grasp on language and songwriting allows for Elgin to cement itself as three strong tracks spanning twelve memorable minutes, showing immense promise from an artist worth watching out for in the months to come.

Binary Heart SplitsvilleApe Up! Kemosabe
Joyce Manor Of All Things I Will Soon Grow TiredAnti-Flag The General Strike
Good Old War Come Back As RainSnowing Pump Fake / Scherbatsky 7"
good

Stream/Free Download: http://seanmilo.bandcamp.com/
Also posted: http://muzikdizcovery.com

At least 80% of you will like this. Go.

November 18th 2011

good review. probably not gonna bother with this though.

I miss our matching avatars =(

November 18th 2011

actually what the hell, I'll stream a couple songs (edit: oh it's only three tracks haha I'll stream
the whole thing I guess)

November 18th 2011

haha thanks Aids, yeah I miss them too but I do like the photobombing stranger avatar a lot as well. and yes it's 12 minutes that are definitely worth listening to, the kid's a good songwriter.

November 18th 2011

hmm, well he's definitely a good songwriter but I can't stand his voice. the guitar on the first song sounds a little, I dont know, off to me.

he's a good songwriter, no denying that, his execution is sub-par though if you ask me

November 18th 2011

fine well maybe i just like people with mediocre voices as a means to feeling better about my own less-than-melodious croons.

haha awesome comment

probably gonna give this a 2.5 =/ sowwwwy

lovely review though, needs some more attention

November 18th 2011

haha thanks man and feel free to rate this however you please, your opinion is your opinion. i just hope it smells better than your butt

.......

........

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

Tyrael

20740 Comments

yea

November 18th 2011

I went in expecting something pretty "meh," intending to just not rate it, but, hell, this is actually really great. Nice review too man.

Is this our Sean??

Shrapnel94

Shhhhhh

AliW1993
November 18th 2011

I feel obliged to give this a listen

So I will

Nice review Eric

who's sean? ;]

Shrapnel94

Some asshole

Good review, the ep is shit though

AliW1993
November 18th 2011

Obviously this is flawed but I like the essence of what you've got going here. I can definitely see it developing into something great.

November 19th 2011